1953 Blue Bomber Football Club Autographed Picture

Got em? need em? find em? get em?

Moderator: Referees

Silverwolf
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

1953 Blue Bomber Football Club Autographed Picture

Post by Silverwolf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:04 pm

FOR SALE: Estate Sale: 1953 Winnipeg Football Club Picture Autographed by: Jack Jacobs, Neil Armstrong, Len Meltzer, Bud Tinsley, & Tom Casey, with all the other names printed on the back. Does anybody know what this might be worth? This rare item will be offered soon for sale at fair market value. All interested people please contact: Warren Gunn at: 475-0825 or here or at: silverwolf35@hotmail.com
Blue Bombers1953 signed Picture.JPG
Blue Bombers1953 signatures.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cfha
Rookie

Re: 1953 Blue Bomber Football Club Autographed Picture

Post by cfha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:44 pm

well, because it is in poor condition (tear at top, lots of staining on the back) it probably is not worth all that much, I'd say $40-$50. NRMT would be around $300

However there are some pretty significant names in the autographs, and if you find a bomber collector who collects autographs it could go for more than that. Also some US collectors collect FB autographs and again those names (Jacobs & Tinsley) are well known to US collectors of players of that era.
Eskimo = Algonquin word for "eaters of raw meat", primarily fatty tissue or blubber from arctic sea mammals = Blubber Eaters

56Parkies
Rookie
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by 56Parkies » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Put in on eBay and see how it does.

The 1953 Ektachrome cards (one each for Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatchewan, and one regular season and one -- even less common -- WIFU Champions for the Bombers) are ULTRA rare. WITHOUT the signatures you probably won't see one of these on eBay or anywhere else for years.

I'm betting you'd fetch quite a good amount on the 'Bay for it. I'd predict $100-$150 m'self.
collecting Eskimo CFL cards, programs, game DVDs/VHS etc from '49 to present.

Silverwolf
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Silverwolf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 pm

To CFHA,
There is no tear at the top of the card! The front of the card that shows the team picture is totally clean.
Thanks for your comments anyways....since I'm in no desperate rush to sell the card, I'll just wait until I get a really good offer, eventually. For any serious cfl collector that has the other 4 cards, but is missing the RAREST, this one will go for a premium price. Patiently waiting, Warren G.

woody
Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by woody » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:18 pm

FYI...

One of the guys in the picture is Andy Sokol who played out of Sarnia. He and his brother Bob had a sports store in Sarnia for many years. I've met them many times as they lived not far from us.

I'm sure there are still lots of the Sokol family living in the area. Next time home...I'll check it out for you.

Maybe you might like to donate your picture.

I have in my possession a copy of the 1934 Grey Cup Champion Sarnia Imperials Victory Banquet Program. It is a fold out with individual pictures of the whole team. (which included Hugh "bummer" Stirling and Orm Beach...both Hall Of Famers)

My dad was at that dinner and got every player to sign his name under his picture. 2 years later he was on the GC winning team himself.

One of the head table guests was Lionel "Freight Train" Connacher who also signed it.

I'd never sell it but it may end up in the Hall of Fame along with the 1934 GC program and 1936 GC program which along with The Jim Shanks Memorial Trophy ( MVP) we donated in 2004. My dad won it the first year it was given out in 1946. It was Cookie Gilchrist's first "pro trophy" in 1954. I think Andy Sokol won it in the late 40's or early 50's too.The trophy was retired when the Imperials left the ORFU and was given to our family for safe keeping. After Joe died we donated it.

Consider donating your signed picture to the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame. :beauty:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Woody that is a very cool story. Love hearing/reading about those games and filling in the gaps of our great history in the CFL. I hope that the Hall of Fame gets the whole story behind those items and keeps it intact!
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife