Posting Short Links

Got a question or suggestion regarding the site or forum? post it here

Moderator: Referees

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:26 pm

That's good to know, thanks. but does it really make a difference whether or not the poster posts the entire link or just a click-able link?

I for one prefer to see the actual address to be sure I am not going to http://www.virusesareus.com.

However I guess someone could post
[url =www.www,virusesareus.com]www.football.com[/url] and we would never know the diff.

Why we are at it.

Is it really nessary to quote the previous post?
You then end up with a quote of a quote of a quote and that is far more annoying than seeing an entire link

tuck
Superstar

Post by tuck » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:40 pm

The reason for shortening obscenely long links is that if you don't, the page gets 'stretched'. That means you have to move the bar that appears on the bottom of a 'stretched' page from right to left to see the whole page (becomes awfully annoying reading through all the posts on a 'stretched' page)

Your point on quotes is a good one, but without quotes it can get confusing if there is more than one 'conversation' going on in a thread. I like to quote the person and then delete the part of the quote I'm not referring to.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Hey Al, you see, what happens when members use long links, these links can "stretch" the web page beyond it's defined size. This makes a horizontal scrollbar appear in web browsers and users must this scrollbar in order to read posts.
Large sized images will also do this. (linked images I mean, as image size is restricted when you attach an image).

When you see a link such as this >>> Link Here <<<
Hover your cursor over it and in the bottom left of your web browser you can see the full URL. :wink:

As for quoting, when I quote a quote, I usually edit it to remove an unnecessary quotes, it just makes for easier reading.

If anyone needs a tutorial on using the Firefox BBCodeXtra extension, I be happy to help.

phpbb_!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Damn you're fast Tuck! :rotf:

:beer:

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Al wrote:That's good to know, thanks. but does it really make a difference whether or not the poster posts the entire link or just a click-able link?

I for one prefer to see the actual address to be sure I am not going to http://www.virusesareus.com.

However I guess someone could post
[url =www.www,virusesareus.com]www.football.com[/url] and we would never know the diff.

Why we are at it.

Is it really nessary to quote the previous post?
You then end up with a quote of a quote of a quote and that is far more annoying than seeing an entire link

Quotes aren't a big deal, I read about 2 sec of the quote itself to see what the poster was refering to (assuimg I have the quote before, if not, I read the whole thing which takes a bit), so they are good.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:55 am

BBBOB

I never thought about stretching the page, good point!

I don't have a problem with quotes if they are from a page back or even a a couple of posts back but when you quote the previous post, it's just a bit ridiculous to have to scroll down past quote after quote every time you want to read a new post. It gets to a point where every post is a quote of the post before it,

Stampman
Superstar

Re: Posting Short Links

Post by Stampman » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:03 am

Freak wrote:Just a thirty second tutorial.

Code:

Code: Select all

www.obscenely-long-link-for-no-actual-purpose-except-demonstration.com

Results:
http://www.obscenely-long-link-for-no-a ... ration.com

Code:

[url]www.obscenely-long-link-for-no-actual-purpose-except-demonstration.com[/url]

Results:
http://www.obscenely-long-link-for-no-a ... ration.com

Code:

[url=www.obscenely-long-link-for-no-actual-purpose-except-demonstration.com]This is my link[/url]

Results:
This is my link

Easy enough, hey? :beauty:

Let me try
Real men don't wear green...

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:06 pm

here I go...

Google, very useful
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA