CIS Wish List

Discuss Canadian University Football

Moderator: Referees

Rids
Superstar

CIS Wish List

Post by Rids » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am

Ok to spur on a little discussion here if you could wave a magic wand and see 5 CIS schools suddenly get a sugar momma that will pay for a football program what 5 schools would you pick?

My list is:
U of Lethbridge - would love to see a third Alberta school in the mix
Brandon U - a "local" opponent for U of Manitoba
U of New Brunswick - AUS needs more than 4 schools involved
U de Moncton - see above...plus a reason to put more seats into that track stadium
Carleton - historical reasons, the Ravens just need to get back on the field.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: CIS Wish List

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:29 am

Don't see Brandon adding football... I seem to recall their kicking and screaming when CW made them add Volleyball. It's also a very small school, U-Winnipeg is small, and even it's got more than double the student population.

Of that bunch, I think Carleton is the only realistic one
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:31 pm

Depends on who you talk to. Both of the Atlantic schools have had the rumours of late but more to the point it's a wish list. CIS football would be better served with more than 27 schools involved and with the threat of UBC and Simon Fraser jumping to NCAA Div II it's important to keep the CIS strong.

Just to clarify I'm a football (sports) nut (in fact I'm watching a NCAA game from 1999 while I type this). While others might balk at expansion to various leagues I'm a full on supporter of logical expansion (expansion with meaning unlike the shotgun expansion of a league like the ABA) and I believe that Canada as a whole could support a lot more CIS level football if ever given the chance. While some universities believe that athletics mean nothing, I believe that without athletics at a post secondary level it leaves a hole in the school. Perhaps not in the classroom or even in the dorm but a football or basketball or hockey program is an uniting front. Without that draw back to your school I believe you won't get the alumni support that is necessary to make up the difference that is left over after tuition and department of education funds. Speaking as one whose alma mater has dropped their athletic programs it's something that should be railed against!

I love the NCAA games on TV when they show these old timers wearing their alumni jackets from the sixties or fifties or even forties sitting right up against the rail cheering on their football team. I would love nothing else than to see all CIS stadiums on TV and rabidly supported like those programs.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Some people thought bringing in Nelson Skalbania as a CFL owner was a good idea too... if you just want to hear a certain song, I'm sure you can find someone that'll sing damn near anything
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 pm

That's true. Rumours especially these days fly around like feathers in the wind but I worry more about the schools that aren't talking about adding football than the ones that have it come up from time to time.

Ontario Institute of Tech has football on it's horizon but that's a few years down the road.

There was an on campus referendum asking students if they'd approve a nominal fee tacked onto their regular student fees (not sure if it was $25 or $50 per student) that would be used to bring back football to UNB. Even though it passed with flying colours (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 85-90% voted in favour of it) the university didn't budge. One of the other AUS schools without a football program put in new field turf into their stadium which would be a good sign of progress but no news yet.

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 pm

I'd love to see a Laval type sugar daddy come along and rescue the UofT program. That may be the only way that team will ever be able to survive.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

brettinhalifax
Rookie

Post by brettinhalifax » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:01 pm

They are building a stadium at UPEI for the 2009 Canada Summer Games in Charlottetown and I believe they made it football friendly. I haven't heard anything lately, but UPEI might be a real possibility.

gizmo fan 2
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by gizmo fan 2 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:39 pm

I'd like to see:

A BC school - UVic, TRU, or UBC-O
ULeth
Carleton
At least two of UdeMoncton, UNB, UPEI
We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

crburrows
Starter

Post by crburrows » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:06 am

#1: University of Victoria
#2: Kingston Royal Military College
#3: Memorial University

In addition, I'd like to see the addition of one or two "interconference" games in the year. Could be done by drawing lots, or by

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:22 am

That's a good point for a wish list for sure. Like the upcoming exhibition game between U of S and Concordia it should be least count when discussing the CIS Top Ten.

jaxon
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by jaxon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 am

Rids wrote:Ok to spur on a little discussion here if you could wave a magic wand and see 5 CIS schools suddenly get a sugar momma that will pay for a football program what 5 schools would you pick?

My list is:
U of Lethbridge - would love to see a third Alberta school in the mix
Brandon U - a "local" opponent for U of Manitoba
U of New Brunswick - AUS needs more than 4 schools involved
U de Moncton - see above...plus a reason to put more seats into that track stadium
Carleton - historical reasons, the Ravens just need to get back on the field.
I don't see Brandon putting a team on the CIS front for a while. It may be more realistic to see them put a Junior program in place. There are now 3 highschool teams in Brandon to feed it, along with more and more players in Westman in general. Perhaps someday that could develop into a CIS program, but I don't see it in the short term.
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

Finiteman
Playground Scrub

Post by Finiteman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:29 pm

This is a subject very dear to my heart. I have written on this in a number of areas.

I have even come up with a cost effective plan to make this happen if enough Canadians get behind it. I call it the "10 year football fund".http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2588 ... -stability

With a few additions in good locations, the cost of football travel could be significantly recuced among football playing CIS members, allowing the savings to be put towards building up the programs.

Sensible footprints would also spur a growth in fan support.

I think you could add 4 schools and see a sizeable cost drop at most member schools, but the question was 5 and that works better anyway.

In terms of cost savings, I think you need to add 1 school to the AUS to allow full round robin scheduling of their 8 game schedule within their footprint. I'd also advocate to add 3 team in BC and a team in Northern Ontario.

AUS candidates (in no particular preference):
a. Dalhousie University - Great rival for SMU. Could play at SMU's 4000 seat Huskies Stadium for now.
b. Universite de Moncton - Great rival for Mount Allison. Could play at the new on campus 10,000-20,000 seat New Monton Stadium.
c. University of Prince Edward Island - Great rival for Mt. Allison. Could play at 3000-seat UPEI Turf Feild.

All would all make good sense in terms of costs as the new AUS school.

Looking at a map and acknowledging the history the inland CWUAA schools have, I'd say financially it makes sense to look for BC based expansion candidates for the CWUAA.

CWUAA candidates (in no particular preference):a. University of Victoria - Great rival for SFU and UBC. Could play on campus at 5000-seat Centennial Stadium.
b. University of the Fraser Valley - Great inland BC rival for SFU and UBC. Could play at City of Abbotsford's 4000-seat Rotary Stadium.
c. Thompson Rivers University - Great rival for UBCO. COuld play at 2000-seat Hillside Stadium.
d. UBC Okanagan - Great rival for UBC and TRU. Space set aside for an on campus stadium in their university plans.
e. Vancouver Island University - Great VI rival for UVic. Has fields that could be upgraded ala Waterloo's Warrior field.

All would all make good sense in terms of costs as the needed 3 new CWUAA schools.

With Guelph's history with the schools in southern Ontario, I would think the new member would need to be a northern Ontario school.

OUA candidates (in no particular preference):
a. Carelton University - It was a huge low when Ottaw lost their rival. Could play at Landsdowne (too big) or could upgrade that soccer stadium/high school field? near campus.
b. University of Ontario Institute of Technology - Great rival for Queen's, York, and Toronto. There are a number of potentially workable fields in the area.

Lets say Dalhousie for the AUS and the 3 BC candidates with established stadiums for the CWUAA schools (UVic, UFV, and TRU) and we'll say Carleton for the OUA to make Ottawa less isolated.

That would allow sensible conferences for travel and evenly distributed playoff berths by region.
Western Canada Universities
BC UAA- UVic, SFU, UBC, UFV, TRU
CWUAA - Calgary, Alberta, Sask, Regina, Manitoba
Southern OUA - Windsor, Western, Waterloo, Laurier, McMasters, Guelph

Eastern Canada Universities
Northern OUA - Toronto, York, Queen's, Ottawa, Carleton
QUFL - Concordia, McGill, UdeMontreal, Sherbrooke, Bishops, Laval
AUS - Mt. Allison, Acadia, SMU, Dalhousie, St. Francis

Finiteman
Playground Scrub

Post by Finiteman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm

There are a ton of universities that can be argued.

There is the holdout of the Group of Thirteen --- Canada's richest, oldest, and most prestigious Universitites(the equivilant of the US's Big 10, PAC 10, or maybe even Ivy League). All but one member see their patriotic duty to prop up Canadian Interuniverstity sports by playing the sport most likely to fund CIS athletics in the future --- football.
Dalhousie U - Halifax, NS - enrollment =15,000+

Slightly smaller but still old and prestigious Unversities
University of New Brunswick - Fredricton, NB - 9000
Université de Moncton - Moncton, NB - 4200
University of Winnipeg - Winnipeg, MB - 9219

There is the newest provincial flagship
University of Prince Edward Island - Charlotteton, PEI - 4000

There are the other top large Universities and commuter schools that were opened in the last 100 years or so.
Memorial University of Newfoundland - St. John's, NFL - 17,000+
Université du Québec à Montréal - Montreal, QC - 39,235
Carleton University -Ottawa, ON - 20,901
Ryerson University - Toronto, ON - 24,000
Brock University - St. Catharines, ON - 17,000
University of the Fraser Valley - Abbotsford, BC - 21,500
Vancouver Island University - Nanaimo, BC - 19,124
University of Victoria - Saanich, ON - 19,193

And the mid-sized schools and satellites
Cape Breton University - Cape Breton, NS - 3500
University of New Brunswick, Saint John- Saint John, NB - 3000
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières - Trois-Rivières, QC - 10,000
Laurentian University - Sudbury, ON - 7758
Trent University - Peterborough, ON - 7160
Nipissing University - North Bay, ON - 6300
University of Ontario Institute of Technology - Oshawa, ON - 5000
University of Toronto Scarborough - Scarborough district, ON - 8311
University of Toronto Mississauga - Mississauga, ON - 8411
Lakehead University - Thunder Bay, ON - 8050
Brandon University - Brandon, MB - 3383
University of Lethbridge - Lethbridge, AB - 8000
Thompson Rivers University - Kamloops, BC - 13,072
University of British Columbia Okanagan - Kelowna, BC - 4996
University of Northern British Columbia - BC - 4177
Capilano University - Squamish, BC - 6615
Last edited by Finiteman on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finiteman
Playground Scrub

Post by Finiteman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:46 pm

I think the following universities have "home run" potential (aka. Queen's, Western, Laval level potential) if managed well. Annual attendance of 8-15K is not out of the question in fairly short order.

Dalhousie
Moncton
Memorial
Carleton (as long as the CFL team stays theoretical)
Brock
VIU
UVic
UQTR

I think the following Universities have "triple" Potential (aka SMU, McMasters level potential) if managed well. Annual attendance of 4-8 K is not out of the question in fairly short order.

UNB
UNBSJ
UQAM
UTM
UTS
Lethbridge

Think the following universities have "double" Potential (aka Ottawa level potential) if managed well. Annual attendance of 2500-4000 is not out of the question in fairly short order.

UPEI
Ryerson
UFV
UNBC
UBCO
TRU
UOIT

Most of the others are in rural Ontario. At this point I would discourage them from picking up football as probably only 1 or 2 would do it and that would hamper the established universities' development.

Maybe 10-15 years down the road a handful of them could do it together to keep travel more reasonable.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Fantastic read. Personally I would love to see the CIS football grow to 30-35 schools (and would like to see the CIS grow overall with additional schools bumping up from CCAA).