Waterloo's Warrior Field gets $1.2 million

Discuss Canadian University Football

Moderator: Referees

DoubleBlue
Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Waterloo's Warrior Field gets $1.2 million

Post by DoubleBlue » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:35 pm

News that the federal and provincial governments are each giving over $600 000 to the University of Waterloo to help finish building their new Warrior Field they moved to last year. Last year they played on some nice natural grass in front of temporary bleachers and porta-potties. The funds will go toward a permanent 1,400-seat grandstand, artificial turf, and lighting.

The Record: Gridiron Warriors better improve to justify field costs
University news release: New funding allows Waterloo to expand Warrior Field for wider community

Cool
Superstar

Re: Waterloo's Warrior Field gets $1.2 million

Post by Cool » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Why no natural grass... don't get me wrong, field turf is nice, but its still not the real thing...

DoubleBlue
Starter

Post by DoubleBlue » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Cool wrote:Why no natural grass... don't get me wrong, field turf is nice, but its still not the real thing...
I agree but according to the university news release, and likely a condition of tax money, they want to have it under constant use by other varsity, intramural, and community sports.

Argottawa
Playground Scrub

Post by Argottawa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:20 pm

As a Waterloo grad, I am so gald they do not share a stadium that is now so clearly marked as belonging to Laurier. It seemed to make a lot of sense when the shared the stadium (I am talking about Segram stadium which is pretty much right between the two campuses) and it was not clearly one or the others. When Laurier bought Segram stadium (and great for the school to invest in the program), I felt bad. Now Waterloo was a guest in ther home stadium. It just felt odd. I am sure Laurier felt odd as a visitor in their home stadium too every other year when they played Waterloo there.

With ther own "field" last year was a nice step. Now it will be a stadium. Looks good on them. Now all we need is a Vanier Cup.

shayman
Starter

Post by shayman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:31 pm

This is good news. As a UW alum it always bugged me that WLU managed to steal Seagram Stadium away from its true home. Seagram Stadium was the very first building belonging to UW when it was founded in 1957, and somehow after holding on to it for thirty years the university managed to let WLU buy it somehow. I've never understood that.
I helped pay for it, I'm calling it "Skydome."

GoldenGuy
Champion

Post by GoldenGuy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:05 am

shayman wrote:This is good news. As a UW alum it always bugged me that WLU managed to steal Seagram Stadium away from its true home. Seagram Stadium was the very first building belonging to UW when it was founded in 1957, and somehow after holding on to it for thirty years the university managed to let WLU buy it somehow. I've never understood that.
But UW didn't hold onto the stadium for 30 years. They sold it to the CITY of Waterloo in the early 1970's. The City of Waterloo sold it to WLU in the early 1990's when UW couldn't afford to match WLU's offer of $1 ;)

I'm not sure when WLU football started playing full time at Seagram Stadium. I know they often played at Centennial Stadium in Kitchener - they may not have moved into Seagram until it was sold to the City.
Dearg! Gor'mus! Buidthe!
Oil Thigh na Banrighinn gu Brath!
Cha Gheill! Cha Gheill! Cha Gheill!

shayman
Starter

Post by shayman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:12 am

GoldenGuy wrote:But UW didn't hold onto the stadium for 30 years. They sold it to the CITY of Waterloo in the early 1970's. The City of Waterloo sold it to WLU in the early 1990's when UW couldn't afford to match WLU's offer of $1 ;)
True. I remember now, thanks for the clarification. The city bought it from UW in 1974 for $1, and then WLU bought it from the city in 1992, also for $1. Way to negotiate there, city of waterloo. We in the UW band would have easily given you $5 for it.

WLU has renamed the field "Knight-Newbrough Field." It's nice of them to honour former UW coach Dave 'Tuffy' Knight like that :-)

Cool
Superstar

Re: outwit brush off secure chanel burberry hermes gucci lou

Post by Cool » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm

CiquewetRew wrote:Most of the people who bought Face Louis Vuitton Handbag replica-louis-vuitton-handbag.blogspot.com replica louis vuitton handbag were satisfied with the cardinal prominence and durability.

Here all our Hermes bags duplicate replica-hermes-bags.blogspot.com replica hermes bags chance upon with extensive true packages which is guaranteed.

The latest cumulate of photostat gucci bags replica-gucci-bags.blogspot.com replica gucci bags and you can guard the most gone from of these phoney facsimile gucci bags seeking sale.

Our callers specialize in wholesale Duplication Chanel Suitcase replica-chanel-bag.blogspot.com replica chanel bag reduced replica handbags in the world.

The swindle bags replica-bags-cheap.blogspot.com replica bags cheap span prides itself on providing a worry-free shopping experience. If you are unsatisfied with your leverage

Delete post?