attendance at your university home games

Discuss Canadian University Football

Moderator: Referees

FANatic
Rookie

attendance at your university home games

Post by FANatic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 am

How is the attendance at your local university home games? How can we all begin to get to the level of fan support Laval is getting with out having a championship team every year? If it happens your local university football team is not the top dog or a contenter does that ( should that ) affect fan support? I get out to every home game I can and I stick around to the very end even if the home team is loosing. Football fan first. There should be standing room only at these games. Great bang for your buck entertainment wise. :beauty:

FANatic
Rookie

Re: attendance at your university home games

Post by FANatic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Come on everybody! Let's hear what you think about the university team in your city or closest by and how many are able to get to the games. :13thman:

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:20 pm

I agree with what Bob McCown says on his radio show every so often. Marketing for CIS football SUCKS! It's a game that does not extend beyond the campus and a few dedicated alumni - if that. I attended the Waterloo Warrior first home game against the GG's in September. At first there looked like there was going to be a good turnout with the students. They were all painted up and chanting and cheering, but after the half time show with the freshman activities on the field, everyone left. The only people left were that dedicated group of alumni. Now granted, Waterloo's new Warrior Field is not much; aluminum stands with port a potties and no concessions but I still think they can do better than that. Of course, Waterloo had their asses handed to them by the GG's and that didn't help, but that is another debate about how seriously some schools treat their football programs. A week later it was Waterloo @ Laurier. Now there aren't two universities in this country that are poised for a better and more heated rivalry the than these to schools that are located across the street from one another. Nothing. In a city of half a million it was played in a half empty stadium and I don't think the students from Waterloo even tried to cross the street to watch the game. The OUA just doesn't try to market their sports. University sports is not much more than an extension of High School sports and thought of about the same. I watched the Montreal Carabins @ Laval Rouge at Or game on TSN2 a couple of weeks ago from Montreal. Their stadium was packed and rocking. Outside of a home coming game, you will never see that in Ontario. They are doing something right in Quebec and I wish we could bottle it and send it to every University in the rest of the CIS.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

FANatic
Rookie

Post by FANatic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

This is what I am concerned about. What is wrong with the football game we have that is close to home like university or highschool. How come we can't get out and support the teams win or loose and enjoy the game and stay for the game. There has to be a reason Quebec fans are supporting their teams and filling the stands. Do the other Quebec teams beside Montreal or Laval fill their stands?

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:43 pm

FANatic wrote:This is what I am concerned about. What is wrong with the football game we have that is close to home like university or highschool. How come we can't get out and support the teams win or loose and enjoy the game and stay for the game. There has to be a reason Quebec fans are supporting their teams and filling the stands. Do the other Quebec teams beside Montreal or Laval fill their stands?
Great post Dave. Something is happening right in Quebec. It's awful pathetic when a city the size of Halifax has such a great program like the St.Mary's Huskies yet you only see on average about 2500-3000 out to a game. And that's on a good night. :0 :?
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

cflfandave
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by cflfandave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm a Waterloo grad and have been wanting to check out Warrior Field but since I have season tickets for both the Argos and the Ticats, it's hard to squeeze it in. I think I'd rather have them still play at WLU's stadium from what you have said. I've attended every Vanier Cup played at SkyDome and Ivor Wynne and even attended the East/West Bowl when it was played at Laurier and McMaster. I'm not sure what can be done to improve attendance.
Hymie wrote:I agree with what Bob McCown says on his radio show every so often. Marketing for CIS football SUCKS! It's a game that does not extend beyond the campus and a few dedicated alumni - if that. I attended the Waterloo Warrior first home game against the GG's in September. At first there looked like there was going to be a good turnout with the students. They were all painted up and chanting and cheering, but after the half time show with the freshman activities on the field, everyone left. The only people left were that dedicated group of alumni. Now granted, Waterloo's new Warrior Field is not much; aluminum stands with port a potties and no concessions but I still think they can do better than that. Of course, Waterloo had their asses handed to them by the GG's and that didn't help, but that is another debate about how seriously some schools treat their football programs. A week later it was Waterloo @ Laurier. Now there aren't two universities in this country that are poised for a better and more heated rivalry the than these to schools that are located across the street from one another. Nothing. In a city of half a million it was played in a half empty stadium and I don't think the students from Waterloo even tried to cross the street to watch the game. The OUA just doesn't try to market their sports. University sports is not much more than an extension of High School sports and thought of about the same. I watched the Montreal Carabins @ Laval Rouge at Or game on TSN2 a couple of weeks ago from Montreal. Their stadium was packed and rocking. Outside of a home coming game, you will never see that in Ontario. They are doing something right in Quebec and I wish we could bottle it and send it to every University in the rest of the CIS.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:42 pm

One of the other issues is the media coverage. Without the demand the media doesn't feel the need. For years the Dinos got the day after coverage - a short blurb about the game that happened. We need way more lead up coverage to draw in the crowds. What I don't understand is the lack of students at the games. The bigger universities should have no issues packing these little 3500 stadiums (I'm looking at you UBC for starters) with students alone before we even bring in alumni and general fans into the mix.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

FANatic
Rookie

Post by FANatic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:04 pm

It's great to see students (lots of students) at home games to support their team but the stands should be full with paying fans as well. The reference to media coverage is a good point. There seems to be more media coverage or interest in US university football than Canadian University football.
Is there anything some universities have in place to build interest and excitment for their sports product to the paying public to fill their seats?
Again with such a great product we have as university football (which is a very short season) I don't understand why the stadiums are not full for every game. :hmm:

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:33 pm

I think if you can fill your stands and make up revenue in the way of merchandise your profit is larger than just filling the stands with paying customers. For years the only thing you could buy in Calgary for the Dinos was a couple hats that they used for Dino athletics across the board, there were a few generic U of Calgary shirts. Where are the replica jerseys? No excitement around a defending conference champion with a good push at repeating. If you can't build excitement around that there's no hope for those schools without that resume.

FANatic
Rookie

Post by FANatic » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Rids wrote:I think if you can fill your stands and make up revenue in the way of merchandise your profit is larger than just filling the stands with paying customers. For years the only thing you could buy in Calgary for the Dinos was a couple hats that they used for Dino athletics across the board, there were a few generic U of Calgary shirts. Where are the replica jerseys? No excitement around a defending conference champion with a good push at repeating. If you can't build excitement around that there's no hope for those schools without that resume.
Excellent point. The games could be as much of a business venture as a university sport for the student body. I see lots of people wearing their favorite hockey jerseys and a few too many nfl jerseys. There are a lot of sports fans who might be more interested in supporting their local university football team with more hype thrown into the equation. :good:

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:37 pm

cflfandave wrote:I'm a Waterloo grad and have been wanting to check out Warrior Field but since I have season tickets for both the Argos and the Ticats, it's hard to squeeze it in. I think I'd rather have them still play at WLU's stadium from what you have said. I've attended every Vanier Cup played at SkyDome and Ivor Wynne and even attended the East/West Bowl when it was played at Laurier and McMaster. I'm not sure what can be done to improve attendance.
If your interested, I posted a few photos and amateurish videos of the game. It' might give you a good idea of what the field looks like. From what I understand, it's only the first phase of a bigger development. But I think it is nice to have your own field instead using someone else's.

If you go into the gallery, I have Warrior - Varsity Blue photos from this weekend as well.

Warrior - GG Football
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

Bob Leponge
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Bob Leponge » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:10 am

Hi im a big Laval fan ive been buying season ticket for 6 years to the Rouge et Or with my 12 other buddies and it all comes down to $$ . Even if my team is not there for Vanier cup will be there tailgating and enjoying a good football game next weekend and all the festivities around town starting thursday where the Grande Allée will be closed off , all the main restaurants will be offering free hot dog and hamburgers loll . I hope lots of people will be coming down

here a link on Youtube done 3 years by the scores
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9bcLGjKYk

RLeb
Rookie

Post by RLeb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Over here, it's wierd. The only university program around is Mount Allison about 30 minutes from Moncton.. and they don't do very much in the way of advertising, so the crowds are very small, and the team is horrid. I have only but the highest respect for every guy out there, it's not an easy nut to crack, but a few friends of mine who I played high school ball with, played there for their 5 years at university, and I think they won maybe 4-5 games TOTAL. Not the best way to get fans to come out and watch, if more often than not you lose.

Odd part is, high school football gets quite a bit of media coverage here (since there's 8 high school football programs running in town) and they are way more popular than Mt. A games.

The provincial high school final drew a crowd of 4500-5000 fans here in Moncton a few weeks ago. Yet Mount Allison is only a fraction of that..

Advertising and Marketing is everything.
“All of life’s problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, you need duct tape. And if it doesn’t move and it should, you need WD40.”
—Unknown

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:09 pm

You hit it on the head!

If the CIS schools can't be bothered to let the outside world know when they are playing or make people actually look for the information they'll never get to the Laval level. Even the fact that some schools are only wishing to get to the Laval level is disappointing. Where are the schools that want to draw 25,000? Instead we're so happy when schools upgrade their stadiums to hold 6,000.

I know that I'm not all that impressed that Canada has 4 schools (out of 27) that averaged over 5,000 per game.

BTW here's the top 10 (regular season only)

1 Laval 14509.25
2 Western 7320.33
3 Sherbrooke 6345.25
4 Queen's 5789.75
5 Saskatchewan 4370.00
6 McMaster 4208.50
7 Montreal 4010.75
8 St. FX 3700.00
9 Saint Mary's 3474.25
10 Wilfred Laurier 3262.75

RLeb
Rookie

Post by RLeb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:08 am

Yes it's really sad to see that. I've watched quite a few games and really it's good stuff to watch! If someone took the time to market it and create a buzz around it, the games would surely take off. Here it might be a bit difficult because the football team is in Sackville, and the big stadium in Moncton. lol. Mt. A has a team and no real football stadium, and U de Moncton has a big stadium and no team.... and it's those silly overlooked details like stadium accessibility and lack of information that keep university football on the down-low right across the country.

Like they say, build it and they will come!

By the way, where did you get those attendance numbers? I'm interested to see that.
“All of life’s problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, you need duct tape. And if it doesn’t move and it should, you need WD40.”
—Unknown