One for Four, predictable and necessary

Discuss Canadian University Football

Moderator: Referees

FANatic
Rookie

One for Four, predictable and necessary

Post by FANatic » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Well another round of interlock play against Quebec football teams and only Saint Marys comes away with a victory. To my surprise STFX lost to Bishops (not that I say Bishops should have lost but because STFX has been playing very well from the first game and seemed to be getting stronger in their offence each game) but as I suspected Acadia and Mount Allison lost their games in the first quarter of play. To date, except for Saint Marys and a few time STFX ,the Atlantic teams have usually been worked over pretty good by all of the Quebec teams they played.
I think it is a good idea for interlock play because it will give smaller divisions like Atlantic some much needed play experience against the strong Quebec teams. I hope over time the play will begin to even out but for now one for four is better than zero for four. :thup:

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Re: One for Four, predictable and necessary

Post by hfxbomberfan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:11 pm

We still need some of the other Atlantic Universities to get into the game. With more teams, means a more competitive league. I cannot imagine playing in a league with only four teams. :roll:

There are three other universities in Atlantic Canada who have enough student body to field a football club:

-Dalhousie in Halifax
-UPEI in Charlottetown, PEI
-UNB in Fredericton, NB
-U de Moncton in Moncton, NB

UNB actually used to have a team until the 70's sometime. I think it's a crock of SH#T when these universities say they can't afford football but they sure do dish out a lot of moolah for hockey. :x :?
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

FANatic
Rookie

Post by FANatic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:44 am

I see your point an all the universities you mentioned hfxbomberfan. Moncton should be when not if with the new field. Maybe someone out there knows a little more about what might be in the works for Moncton? UNB could be right behind if the field in Saint John is available? Six local teams from four would add to the competition and with the right plans in place down the road eight teams (UPEI and Dal) would rock the league for sure.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 pm

There is a club level league that has gotten off the ground in the Maritimes. Hopefully it could spawn some additional AUS schools into the mix.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 am

I have spoken to some students from U de M in Moncton and rumour has it that with the new stadium being built on their property, they are thinking that football could be in the future plans for the university.
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:09 pm

The atlantic conference is so week, that I truly believe something has to be done to change the Vanier Cup playdowns. For years, their conference champ essentially got a home game to advance to the Cup game, as the Atlantic Bowl was always played at St. Mary's. Ontario has a 10 team conferance and getting out of that is more difficult than any other conference. It's not a level playing field.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!