Canadian Colleges Athletic Association

Discuss Canadian University Football

Moderator: Referees

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Canadian Colleges Athletic Association

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm

I just discovered this a few weeks ago. Is CIS apart of CCAA or is it a whole different body like the NCAA and NAIA?
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Re: Canadian Colleges Athletic Association

Post by Rids » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:02 am

CCAA and CIS are two different national governing bodies. CCAA is mostly made up of schools that aren't given university status.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 am

Any chance at meaging the two in the future? like become the CIAA?

I;m shocked the CCAA doesn't have Canadian Football, if it did, I'd suggest a Championship beteewn the two. A shame really, cuz I like the logos more.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:37 pm

CCAA is a much more regional set up of conferences. CIS suffers from a lack of money and CCAA doesn't know what money looks like.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Rids wrote:CCAA is a much more regional set up of conferences. CIS suffers from a lack of money and CCAA doesn't know what money looks like.
sounds to me then a meager would be a good idea.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:19 pm

There have been times that I believed the same. Would make things a lot easier overall but the CIS schools (especially basketball teams) would probably block it. Right now a player can transfer up from a CCAA school to a CIS school without restriction. Their time in CCAA counts towards their total CIS years but it's almost treated like a farm team.

Let's use Calgary for an example. U of Calgary basketball routinely draws up a player or two a year from Mount Royal. Now when Mount Royal enters the CIS that'll put an end to that but then U of C can always draw from SAIT or one of the ACAL schools (separate again from the CCAA).

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 am

Rids wrote:There have been times that I believed the same. Would make things a lot easier overall but the CIS schools (especially basketball teams) would probably block it. Right now a player can transfer up from a CCAA school to a CIS school without restriction. Their time in CCAA counts towards their total CIS years but it's almost treated like a farm team.

Let's use Calgary for an example. U of Calgary basketball routinely draws up a player or two a year from Mount Royal. Now when Mount Royal enters the CIS that'll put an end to that but then U of C can always draw from SAIT or one of the ACAL schools (separate again from the CCAA).
Jeez, College school systems were much more compicated than I thought. I always though there was like one national assosication in Canada and the USA (CIS and NCAA respectly), amazing that there are a few of them instead.

Is their a different beteewn a college and a university? I always thought they were the same thing. If they aren't, I think that would be an issue in trying to meage the two as well.

I;m still gonna create an CIAA logo. :beauty:
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 pm

In Canada generally colleges are two year schools while universities are four year schools. It's not a steadfast rule though.

Now there are several governing bodies in the States that deal with sports. On top of NCAA and NAIA there are also the NCCAA and the JuCo system. It's interesting but Simon Fraser won't be the only Canadian school that competes primarily in the States. Providence College in Manitoba is a member of the NCCAA and plays for their Div II national championship.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:04 am

Rids wrote:In Canada generally colleges are two year schools while universities are four year schools. It's not a steadfast rule though.

Now there are several governing bodies in the States that deal with sports. On top of NCAA and NAIA there are also the NCCAA and the JuCo system. It's interesting but Simon Fraser won't be the only Canadian school that competes primarily in the States. Providence College in Manitoba is a member of the NCCAA and plays for their Div II national championship.
that makes sense about the college and unis.

crazy, but a guess it has to due with anti monophy laws.

I, as well as others, are not happy about canadian schools playing in american assosiations, etc. If I am ever PM, I'm gonna do whatever is possible to get them to return, and bar any american-canadian schools trying to go one way or the other. NHL is one thing, AHL, Junoir and College is another.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Kanga-Kucha wrote:that makes sense about the college and unis.

I, as well as others, are not happy about canadian schools playing in american assosiations, etc. If I am ever PM, I'm gonna do whatever is possible to get them to return, and bar any american-canadian schools trying to go one way or the other. NHL is one thing, AHL, Junoir and College is another.
Sad thing is that if the CIS wasn't so steadfast in their backward thinking they could've make pro-active changes that would've kept Simon Fraser in. They also could've made some pro-active changes that might have opened it up for American schools in a similar boat. For example the 5 NAIA schools in Montana would all cut their travel costs if they joined the CIS and played in Canada West.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Rids wrote:
Kanga-Kucha wrote:that makes sense about the college and unis.

Sad thing is that if the CIS wasn't so steadfast in their backward thinking they could've make pro-active changes that would've kept Simon Fraser in. They also could've made some pro-active changes that might have opened it up for American schools in a similar boat. For example the 5 NAIA schools in Montana would all cut their travel costs if they joined the CIS and played in Canada West.
well, lets try and get the canadian schools back in the CIS, etc where they belong. The americans will be ok, although schools in Montana would be cool, but idk if they would go for Canadian Football, so me a few roughrider fans from there, and I'll reconsider. :beauty:
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:01 pm

When Dave Dickenson started for the Stampeders they used to have a busload of fans come up from Great Falls, Montana for the Friday & Saturday games in Calgary. The Applebee's in Great Falls has a whole section of the wall in a CFL tribute of Dave.

The only way the CIS will get Simon Fraser back is if they change the scholarship rules and perhaps the roster sizes. It won't happen right away (I don't think it'll happen with this coaching staff - these guys aren't pro-active enough) but Simon Fraser is going to return to the point of drawing the top Canadian talent that don't find NCAA Div I homes.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:49 am

Rids wrote:When Dave Dickenson started for the Stampeders they used to have a busload of fans come up from Great Falls, Montana for the Friday & Saturday games in Calgary. The Applebee's in Great Falls has a whole section of the wall in a CFL tribute of Dave.

The only way the CIS will get Simon Fraser back is if they change the scholarship rules and perhaps the roster sizes. It won't happen right away (I don't think it'll happen with this coaching staff - these guys aren't pro-active enough) but Simon Fraser is going to return to the point of drawing the top Canadian talent that don't find NCAA Div I homes.
Right, that's good, the more CFL fans from US regions that don;t have any pro teams to speck of (which is pretty much the northwest if Seattle is counted as the west coast), the better.

did Simon Fraser want CIS to go to a NCAA scholarship set up? where football players get a pass if they play of something? expand the rosters is good, more player the merrier as long at it's not too much.

so SF is gonna grow with enough Canadian talent that it could be a CIS powerhouse, and thus return?
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 pm

I don't believe that Simon Fraser has any intentions of returning to the CIS unless something drastic happens like when their entire NAIA conference basically moved from NAIA to NCAA.

Here's where some of the issues lie. CIS can only offer a max scholarship of a player's tuition. They can't cover room and board or books or even registration fees. NCAA Div II allows for 26 full scholarships I believe that can turn into any number of math formulas. They could all get a half which would allow for 52 scholarships that would be marginally larger than what the CIS could offer.

While in both situations the athletic department tries hard to find other scholarships for the players to apply for that can save some football monies, in the NCAA system they can offer a full ride to a player that they are actively recruiting.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 pm

someday, all canadian teams will rejoin, and we can from the CIAA. :D
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?