CFL:NFL RB comparisons

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

mjussawalla
Superstar

CFL:NFL RB comparisons

Post by mjussawalla » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:19 am

Of the starting CFL RBs, what NFL RB matches their style (not so much size or actual skill).

I'll start.

Troy Davis : Shaun Alexander
There are two types of people who want higher taxes; those with little money and those with too much.

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Re: CFL:NFL RB comparisons

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:43 am

mjussawalla wrote:Of the starting CFL RBs, what NFL RB matches their style (not so much size or actual skill).

I'll start.

Troy Davis : Shaun Alexander

This is a tough one because the RB positions are quite different in the CFL and NFL. I think you?re comparison isn?t a bad one although I think Davis is quicker while Alexander has quite a bit more power. But who would you compare KK, Avery and Roberts too though? You?d be hard pressed to find a single NFL back who is as fast as he is and most won?t even be close. And other than Sanders, I can?t think of anyone close to as quick. Avery and Roberts are in the same mould too. A guy like Dante Hall might be a reasonable comparison, but he?s essentially a return man and extra receiver in the NFL.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:03 am

But who would you compare KK, Avery and Roberts too though?

ST returners.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

OVDB
Superstar

Post by OVDB » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:03 am

Agreed that the NFL often features different style backs than the CFL - more
emphasis on big power backs; however, you may be selling some NFL backs
short if you think hardly any of them are as fast as Avery or Keith - I'd guess there
are a number of them equally as fast or faster (Bennett of the Vikings comes to
mind); and not sure that Roberts qualifies as a super fast back in terms of 40
time - some of these smaller CFL backs are very quick and shifty to be successful
here and not so much a matter of flat out speed; the NFL is a big, diverse
league with tons of talent and a wide variety of styles/skill-sets of players - there
are some very fast smaller RBs there too.

Rider TD
Rookie

Post by Rider TD » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:11 am

How about Warrick Dunn and John Avery??

Dunn is physically closer to KK, but plays more like Avery IMO.
I have been misconscrewed...

bluebomberdude
Champion

Post by bluebomberdude » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:38 am

Quentin Griffin = Charles Roberts or KK

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:43 am

OVDB wrote:Agreed that the NFL often features different style backs than the CFL - more
emphasis on big power backs; however, you may be selling some NFL backs
short if you think hardly any of them are as fast as Avery or Keith - I'd guess there
are a number of them equally as fast or faster (Bennett of the Vikings comes to
mind); and not sure that Roberts qualifies as a super fast back in terms of 40
time - some of these smaller CFL backs are very quick and shifty to be successful
here and not so much a matter of flat out speed; the NFL is a big, diverse
league with tons of talent and a wide variety of styles/skill-sets of players - there
are some very fast smaller RBs there too.

Well, ?hardly any? doesn?t mean none. Bennett and Derrick Blaylock would be two more and you could probably find several more, but in a league with 32 teams and 3 or 4 RBs on each team I?m calling that ?hardly any?. More importantly these don?t tend to be the feature backs because, as you point out, quickness and speed are relatively less important in the NFL game compared to power, and bigger more powerful backs tend to be slower. There are exceptions here too as Jamal Lewis is a powerful back with great inline speed. I agree with your point that quickness is probably more important than extreme speed in the CFL game, as Roberts? game shows. There are even backs with very good quickness and a little bit of power too who IMO are taking advantage of the fact that defences are now designed to stop the ultra quick and fast guys. I?m thinking mostly of Raneck here. So there are definitely variations. I most often talk about players like DD and Avery as they fit the ideal and are the prototype for a CFL RB, IMO, and they have been the most dangerous in recent years. You can?t take away from what Davis and Ranek have done but for the purpose of these discussions I think they fall further down the spectrum and so for comparison?s sake are often not quite as good.

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:50 am

bluebomberdude wrote:Quentin Griffin = Charles Roberts or KK

Yup, that?s not a bad comparison. He?s a little slower perhaps and IMO not quite as quick as KK and Avery in his prime, but I think they are essentially the same kinds of players. And if Griffin keeps getting injured we could see him in the CFL in few years. That?s essentially how Avery got here.

cunninglinguist
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by cunninglinguist » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm

I guess one guy I would call prototypical who could play in both leagues would be Edgerin James. He isn't overly huge (same height as Lapointe and 9 pounds heavier) but was faster during his combine than both Avery and Keith.

Edgerrin James NFL Combine Numbers:
Height: 6'0
Weight: 216
40 yard Dash: 4.38

Kenton Keith NFL Combine Numbers:
Height: 5'10
Weight: 185
40 Yard Dash: 4.48

John Avery NFL Combine Numbers:
Height: 5'9
Weight: 184
40 Yard Dash: 4.41

I can't find numbers for Charles Roberts.
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"

Tackle
All Star

Post by Tackle » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:03 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:I guess one guy I would call prototypical who could play in both leagues would be Edgerin James. He isn't overly huge (same height as Lapointe and 9 pounds heavier) but was faster during his combine than both Avery and Keith.

Just to add:

Joffrey Reynolds
Height: 5-9
Weight: 217
40 yard dash: 4.58
Always remember the longer you live, the sooner you're gonna die!

fishman
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by fishman » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:03 pm

something tells me LaDanian Tomlinson wouldn't have it too bad up here either....
ONCE AN ESKIMO - ALWAYS AN ESKIMO! :edm:

"The Eskimos. Well? What can you say? They are CFL gods." - greycupgarry

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:54 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:I guess one guy I would call prototypical who could play in both leagues would be Edgerin James. He isn't overly huge (same height as Lapointe and 9 pounds heavier) but was faster during his combine than both Avery and Keith.

James ran very fast at the combine but hasn't seemed as fast in recent years. I?m not sure where you got his numbers from but Kenton Keith didn?t attend the NFL Combine and he has run 4.3s for the Riders. I?ve seen numbers for Roberts in the mid 4.4 range but I agree with those who say that he looks slower than that. Could you provide the sources for your numbers?

cfl_bombers
Starter

Post by cfl_bombers » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Roberts isn't fast...but he is the quickest in the league by far. Nobody changes directions better. The only one who is remotely close is Keith Stokes (but he's not really a tailback).

In terms of sheer speed (and yes, this is going off topic a bit), Ed Hervey, Kamau Peterson, Ron Ockimey, Craig Yeast, Brock Ralph (he'll be back), Grayson Shillingford, Chris Brazzell, Jason Armstead, Arland Bruce... :i:
Got Milt?

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:15 pm

fishman wrote:something tells me LaDanian Tomlinson wouldn't have it too bad up here either....

I think Tomlinson would be an outstanding CFL RB. He?s another burner too and ran very fast at his combine. Deuce McAllister is another speedy back. 2001 was a very good year for fast backs, unlike the year before and the year after.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... on/HB.html

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:26 pm

cfl_bombers wrote:Roberts isn't fast...but he is the quickest in the league by far. Nobody changes directions better. The only one who is remotely close is Keith Stokes (but he's not really a tailback).

In terms of sheer speed (and yes, this is going off topic a bit), Ed Hervey, Kamau Peterson, Ron Ockimey, Craig Yeast, Brock Ralph (he'll be back), Grayson Shillingford, Chris Brazzell, Jason Armstead, Arland Bruce... :i:

You must have missed a lot of Rider games this year. I?d say the Keith is every bit as quick and Roberts and he?s faster, and I think that?s his edge over Roberts. As for the fastest guy in the league I?d go with Davin Bush. He may be the smallest DB in the league, but when in man coverage he?s always in his man?s back pocket. He was too small to be considered for the NFL draft but there are newspaper reports that he has run in the 4.2 range. That?s probably one time with a good tail wind but I could easily see him as a legitimate low 4.3 guy. His brother, who got the tall genes in the family, was a first round NFL draft pick as a DB so Davin?s got the genetics. And as a trivia bit on Keith, he?s related to both Johnny Rogers and Roger Craig, so he?s coming from the right gene pool too. I'd say that KK whould be in the top handful in the league too, along with Lockett and maybe Armstead and Hervey for sure and a few more.