CFL:NFL RB comparisons

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue May 17, 2005 8:03 pm

I guess I missed the last posts in this thread. I?ll respond as I?ll likely be directing to this thread in the future.

Wow, a whole 40 ex-CFL players have made it to the NFL.

Wrong. Please re-read what I said. There are about 40 ex-CFLers in the NFL last year. God knows how many have been there overall. It?s in the hundreds I?m sure.

How may as regulars or starters?

Lots. The thread was lost unfortunately, but why don?t you do some searches and check for yourself.

Are you counting the likes of CFL MVP Ricky Ray who, if he's lucky gets to hold the clipboard.

Ray was in the NFL and yes I counted him as being in the NFL.

What about the hundreds and hundreds who haven't.

What about them? What about he 100?s of NFLers who haven?t been in the CFL? What?s your point?

I agree a handfull of CFLer's have done well in the NFL, good on them, but none to my knowledge have received the accolades, stats or demonstrated the consistency in NFL to begin to compare with Moon's nine time pro-bowl achievements so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been a fan of the CFL since the 60's so to say I don't know what I'm talking about is a pantload Einstein.

I?m glad you support the CFL, but you should learn a lot more about it. How many NFL players have been 9 time pro-bowlers? So again I?m not sure what you?re trying to prove. If anything you?ve shown that the CFL essentially on par with the NFL as Moon had roughly equal success in both leagues. If the NFL was so much better then Moon wouldn?t have done as well as did given what he did in the CFL. Moon himself has said that it is harder to get 1st downs in the CFL. He?s also said that the CFL and NFL are very different games. If Moon is your man are you prepared to listen to what he has to say about the leagues? Or do you think you know more about it than he does?
http://slam.canoe.ca/SuperBowlXXXV/chat_warrenmoon.html

By the way, who made you the world authority?

I never ask you to take my word for it. I ask you to look at the facts that I show you.

2ndly, as far as the two leagues being significantly different as to not merit comparison. Are the differences in european hockey or the AHL so different that they can't be compared to the NHL? Different ice size, a few different rules but the game is essentially the same. The main difference is in talent levels. The best players play in the NHL.

!!! The European/Olympic game is very different. It stresses skill over size. You?ll notice that many players drafted by the NFL have marginal scoring and skill stats but they are big, while many of the most skilled players get drafted low or not at all because they aren?t big. These players go to Europe and do very well because on the big ice surface there is room to use their skills. This is very much like the difference between the NFL and the CFL.

The best soccer players play in the premier league. The best golfers play in the PGA. The best baseball is played in MLB. The highest calibre basketball is played in the NBA, and the best football players play in the NFL.

All of these games us the same rules all over the world except football, so you?re comparing apples and oranges.

Yes I know there are differences, but not so many that comparisons become irrelevent.

Some comparisons can be made, but you have to ?translate? as the games are very very different.

Why are some, not all, fans of the Canadian game so insecure about acknowledging that the NFL may have superior talent that they dig up all kinds of frankly weak agruments to rufute the obvious. You simply lose credability when you spout this crap. Bias? I think blindness might be more appropriate in your case. Don't ask take my word for. Ask any CFL coach, GM or player. I showed you your blog to an ex-CFL friend of mine and he just laughed at your comments.

You are the one with insecurities my friend. I?ve showed you stacks of evidence and blindly deny it all. It seems you need to believe that the NFL is something it?s not. Your ex-CFL friend ?:roll: yeah, right. So I guess he?s laughing at Warren Moon too, eh? What would Moon know about it anyway. :roll:

My point wasn't who was or wasn't an all-star but rather reflect names of of highly regarded or even star players at the CFL level who have tried and failed to impress south of the border.

So again you show your lack of understand of the game of football. You don?t know the differences in the games so you don?t know who is going to do well in the NFL and who isn?t. Did you now that a player who had been on a CFL PR for two years made an NFL team two years ago and it moving up the depth chart? So by your reasoning that means that the CFL is far better than the NFL, right?

Factually wrong? Possibly a few, a very few cut CFLer?s have gone and secured positions with the NFL. I can not think of any CFL cuts who have later gone to the NFL do especially well, certainly none have become stars. I?m not saying there haven?t been any but none come immediately to mind.

Off the top of my head, David Patton has been a starter, Rod Smart has been a starting return man, Jason Horton.

Now, contrast that with how may many players cut by the NFL or never drafted by the NFL have gone onto successful, or even star CFL careers. Hundreds, dare I say thousands. Notice a pattern wiseguy?

There are 32 teams in the NFL each with roughly 60 players on the roster and PR. The US has 300 million people and football is a big game there. Can you think of any reasons why there might be a lot of these players coming up? :roll:

If the brand of ball were equal or superior to the game played south of the border then don?t we see hundreds of American kids determined to play in the CIS rather than the NCAA?

Now you?re switching to the CIS!? Do you know the difference between the CIS and the CFL?

To simply attribute the difference to a slightly wider and longer field and a few rule differences is ridiculous to any impartial observer. If the game were so completely different, import players would not come north to play. The basics of both the NFL and Canadian game are the same. Speed, strength, passing, blocking, catching and execution. Defence, offence and special teams.

Slightly wider?! Do you know what the saying ?football is a game of inches? means? Now consider that the CFL field is over 400 inches wider. Slightly wider? :roll: You simply don?t know what you?re talking about.

MightyMightyRiderFan
Superstar

Post by MightyMightyRiderFan » Tue May 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Bryan Hall wrote:While I may or may not agree with the points raised by BB I didn't see anything he wrote that could be perceived as dissing the other posters. In fact I feel they belittled him for stating his viewpoint. Just my opinion.

It?s unfortunate that frustration gets into these threads, but after saying this time after time after time it does get frustrating. As for expressing opinions, if someone says Esk fans are stupid because they are stupid, is that a valid opinion? That?s essentially what he?s doing. He?s misrepresenting the facts repeatedly simply to slam the CFL. If he had a valid point to make I would have no problem with it. But guys who clearly don?t know what they?re talking about and who refuse to learn even when it?s place right in front of them and who persist in unjustly bashing the CFL get under my skin. And more importantly they deserved to be called on what they?re saying. Sadly we even have members of the media who do this. The mentality is far too common and that?s partially because no one has stood up to them.

OVDB
Superstar

Post by OVDB » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:42 pm

MightyMightyRiderFan wrote:
Bryan Hall wrote:While I may or may not agree with the points raised by BB I didn't see anything he wrote that could be perceived as dissing the other posters. In fact I feel they belittled him for stating his viewpoint. Just my opinion.
It?s unfortunate that frustration gets into these threads, but after saying this time after time after time it does get frustrating. As for expressing opinions, if someone says Esk fans are stupid because they are stupid, is that a valid opinion? That?s essentially what he?s doing. He?s misrepresenting the facts repeatedly simply to slam the CFL. If he had a valid point to make I would have no problem with it. But guys who clearly don?t know what they?re talking about and who refuse to learn even when it?s place right in front of them and who persist in unjustly bashing the CFL get under my skin. And more importantly they deserved to be called on what they?re saying. Sadly we even have members of the media who do this. The mentality is far too common and that?s partially because no one has stood up to them.

Damn - didn't follow this thread all the way back at it's time - pretty amusing.

What ever happened to MMRF here anyways? - might have had some serious disagreements with him on some issues, but IMO he is the KING of shooting down all the NFL hero worshipping wannabes out there - like this BB clown - "all hail the all-mighty NFL - where the best talent is found - since we, the undisputed, incscrutable judges of football talent, say so" - freaking' wannabe putzes' always kill me - hilarious. Kenton Keith ain't good enough to make the super-hero NFL pal. Good thing guys like you are still big supporters of that quaint little old, 2nd rate CFL though. :rotf:

cunninglinguist
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Re: CFL:NFL RB comparisons

Post by cunninglinguist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Just re-read this thread... what a trip down memory lane
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"