From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

Stampman
Superstar

TD you'll always remember...

Post by Stampman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:57 pm

There's a thread in the hockey forums of top 5 goals-

Well here's a Football version...

What TD will forever stick in your memory?
I've got a few-but the one that does the most is from the 1991 Western Final-Danny Barrett to Peewee Smith...
Real men don't wear green...

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 pm

94 WDF Lions vs Stamps, I think you know the one. I have never before jumped around like a little kid getting the keys to the candy shop before or since.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

Jedrock43
Superstar

Post by Jedrock43 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:07 pm

Rammer wrote:94 WDF Lions vs Stamps, I think you know the one. I have never before jumped around like a little kid getting the keys to the candy shop before or since.

You and me both... :wink:

calf
Starter

Post by calf » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:22 pm

3 posts and both are mine. '91 was what turned me into a hardcore Stampsfan. '94 broke my heart....and it happened right in front of me.

flutie2pitts
Rookie

Post by flutie2pitts » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:30 pm

Man, I hate that 94 WDF play.......you could just see Danny Mac looking for Darren, and for some reason HE WAS OPEN in the endzone :? if only he slipped in the snow that night..............I echo your sentiments calf.

As for the stamps, yeah, there are a few including the one that Stampman mentioned. A more recent one involved the 2001 grey cup when Crandell had a good 2nd half and found Marc Boerighter streaking down the sidelines for a TD. Bo did his usual "open arms" celebration.......that was sweet.

Also, the 99 or 2000 season opener, there was a trick play from Pitts to Dickenson........first time i've ever seen Pitts throw a TD pass. Great way to start the game off.

Obviously, "the rocket delivers" (and the subsequent failed attempt to hit him with a beer) stands out as crap moment for stamps fans, but great for the argos. Overall, definately memorable.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:17 pm

Jedrock43 wrote:
Rammer wrote:94 WDF Lions vs Stamps, I think you know the one. I have never before jumped around like a little kid getting the keys to the candy shop before or since.

Me 3

I have to vote for Alfred Jacksons 109 yard TD catch a couple years ago ... actually it was a 7 yard catch and a 102 yard run :lol: but a 109 yard TD catch has only happened 6 times in league history so being in attendance was quite special .... as were the events that lead to the TD

Montreal was ahead by 4 points and BC fumbled a kick return on thier own 40 ... MTL was driving with a couple mins on the clock and looking for the clinching points when a BC DB ... the same guy who had earlier fumbled ... picked of a pass at the BC goaline ... after an incomplete pass Damon hits AJ on a short crossing pattern and he was off .... for the winning points:roar:

That night was pretty special :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:18 pm

I was thinking Roy DeWalt to Ned Armour, '85 GC.

Runner up Tom Clements to Tony Gabriel 1976 GC, wide open in the end zone even though everyone seeing that game knew who the ball was going to, even the SSK DB's.
Last edited by Solar Max on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by D » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:19 pm

Jedrock43 wrote:

btw Jed ... I won't make you relive the gory details but the week prior had to be disappointing
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Jedrock43
Superstar

Post by Jedrock43 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:24 pm

D wrote:
Jedrock43 wrote:

btw Jed ... I won't make you relive the gory details but the week prior had to be disappointing

That was all Damon's fault.... :wink:

That 94 Grey Cup is one of the all-time greatest..

BTW- That 94 Eskimo team was the best i ever played on. (That is after we got rid of Charlie Wright the day after Dunnigan torched his ass for over 300 yds and he threw for 700 total)

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by D » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:43 pm

That was all Damon's fault....

Yes it was ... I became a Lions fan in the early 70's and had seen my share of seasons end in Edmonton ... it was nice to steal one for a change :wink:

OK ... I lied ... I will make Jed re live it ... cut and paste from Lionbackers.com
The Lions had only once won a playoff game in Commonwealth Stadium. And with just over four minutes left, it looked as though they would come up short again. But Charles Gordon's miraculous end-zone interception stopped the Eskimos in their tracks and gave new life to B.C. With Kent Austin at the helm, replacing an injured Danny McManus who had started, the Lions mounted a drive which ate up the clock and the field. Lui Passaglia kicked the winning field goal with 30 seconds to go to give the Lions a tough 24-23 come-from-behind victory.

The following week, in the most memorable Western Final ever, and perhaps one of the best football games ever played, the Lions and Stampeders traded touchdowns and field goals all night at McMahon Stadium. Then, in the swirling snow with two minutes remaining and Calgary set to kick a field goal which would put the game out of reach, Ray Alexander leaped up and made the most amazing block ever seen. Danny McManus, who had replaced Kent Austin in the second half after Austin reinjured a separated shoulder, staged a furious last-minute drive, hitting receivers all the way down the field, including an unbeleviable reception on the four yard line to set up an incredible finish. With Calgary leading 36-31, and four seconds left, McManus found Flutie all alone in the end zone to give the Lions their first playoff victory over Calgary in 30 years, and a berth in the Grey Cup against Baltimore in Vancouver.

The dramatics continued the following week in the Grey Cup. With 55,097 cheering fans looking on, the Lions and Baltimore staged another thriller with both teams playing great football. Baltimore took a 17-10 lead at halftime and extended it to 20-10 early in the third quarter. But Danny McManus entered the game and the Lions again staged a second half rally. Seemingly stalled at the Baltimore 30 yard line, Lui Passaglia and Darren Flutie performed a fake field goal to perfection to gain a big first down and completely change the momentum of the game. Then McManus ran in from the two yard line to score and the game was tied at 20-20. After the teams exchanged field goals and with the score tied at 23-23, McManus engineered another late-game drive to the Baltimore 37 yard line. This time Passaglia missed the field goal with just over one minute remaining. However, B.C.'s defense rose up and stopped Baltimore cold within their own five-yard line. After a punt and a couple of runs to set up the field goal unit, Passaglia trotted out on the field and with no time remaining and kicked the biggest field goal of his life to give the Lions an incredible 26-23 victory, the third Grey Cup in team history.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Chuck-o-nauts
All Star
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Chuck-o-nauts » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:10 am

I've got 3 off the top of my head.

1) 1997 EDF Tor & MTL, thrilling 37-30 victory on a 58-yard touchdown catch by Pinball with 40 seconds remaining. I was sitting right there in that corner and I thought I was gonna explode! :o

2) 2004 EDF Tor @ MTL. I'm sitting amongst 100 or so Argos diehards who've made the trip surrounded by 55,000 hostile frenchmen. Montreal scores the first TD of the game. the place is electric. But when Arland "Take us to the Promisland" Bruce returned the ensuing kick off back for a TD. That was pure elation! Our group was so nuts that the security came over to tell us to settle down. I'll never forget that one!

3)2004 EDSF Tor vs Ham. Kenny Wheaton's 116 yard TD interception. That was a sweet one!
Live for the now, because every moment is your past's future.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:24 am

There are two that have been mentioned

Alfred Jackson/Damon Allen, BC Versus Montreal in 2002

Flutie/McManus 94 WDF

And some others.

Mervin Fernandez - Run back TD against Edmonton in Empire Stadium, not sure of the year.

Ray Elgard last second touchdown against Hamilton from Paopao. Scored by reaching out over the plane. Tied the game which went to OT which I believe
Sask went on to win.

Any of the Giz's runbacks. They were a thing of beauty.
Lest We Forget!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:05 am

Stamps qb Danny Barrett's long bomb to receiver Pee Wee Smith in the 1991 Western Final in Edmonton for the winning touchdown.

Stamps Fan
All Star

Post by Stamps Fan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:58 am

Darren Flutie 1994 - One of my saddest memories

Marc Boerigter 2001 - One of the most beautiful pass-and-catches ever

Hopefully this year Burris and Lewis/Copeland will make some memories at McMahon.
"Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is just a straight line" - Glen Suitor

BCRiderFan
All Star

Post by BCRiderFan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:00 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:There are two that have been mentioned

Alfred Jackson/Damon Allen, BC Versus Montreal in 2002

Flutie/McManus 94 WDF

And some others.

Mervin Fernandez - Run back TD against Edmonton in Empire Stadium, not sure of the year.

Ray Elgard last second touchdown against Hamilton from Paopao. Scored by reaching out over the plane. Tied the game which went to OT which I believe
Sask went on to win.

Any of the Giz's runbacks. They were a thing of beauty.

It didn't go to overtime. And yes, we're pretty sure Saskatchewan won that one. You remember Elgaard's TD in a 40-43 game and you're not sure who won? Okaaaaay then...