Which is the best team fan site messageboard?

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

Best fan site?

Edmonton - www.esksfans.com
21%
Calgary - gostampsgo.com
8%
Saskatchewan - www.ridersfans.com
27%
Winnipeg - www.ourbombers.com
7%
B.C. - www.lionbackers.com
17%
Montreal French - www.goalsgo.com
3%
Montreal English - www.sectionw.com
1%
Toronto - www.agrofans.com
4%
Hamilton - www.ticat.ca
11%
Ottawa - www.ottawafootball.com
2%

Total votes: 106

Oiler
Superstar

Which is the best team fan site messageboard?

Post by Oiler » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:02 am

Which team fan site messageboard is the best in terms of quality and popularity?

Personally I like sites with a lot of information, activity, up to date and interesting news and stats.

I know there are fans who will vote for their team, but try to be objective in evaluating the best fan site.

This would be helpful for all. :beer:

My apoligizes if I left out any sites.
Last edited by Oiler on Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:05 am

Personaly i like the forums on team sites, i like reading the local team fans opinions the rest i could not care much.
So they all fill that need somewhat. The 2 best ones are probably the ones with the most traffic.
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

3 Minute Warning
Superstar

Post by 3 Minute Warning » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:11 am

Isn't agrofans.com the official website of the U of S's College of Agriculture??

cflnut
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by cflnut » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:17 am

Hard to say esksfans.com and lionbackers.com are both really good sites. However I had to vote for esksfans.com

I've been to the others but not enuff to really form an opinion of how good they are. I tend to spend most of my time on this site.
Football. More then a game, a way of life, purging the primitive brute from men's souls. A communion with the basic nature of humankind, hence the sacrilege in allowing stores to open on Sunday - the Lord's Day of Football.

calf
Starter

Post by calf » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:03 pm

Well, I'm biased...but I have to say that esksfans.com and lionbackers.com are very good sites.

Haven't spent too much time in the east though

aikmanr
Starter

Post by aikmanr » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:08 pm

Riderfans is the biggest CFL fan site out there and there seems to be a good mix of both Rider fans and fans from many other teams in the CFL. It's the first place I go for any new information, with that many members new CFL info is usually on it within a minute of its release.

I really do enjoy ourbombers as well, like any fan site they have homers, but some of them can be pretty ridiculous. Most of their posters are pretty knowledgeable though.

I dislike esksfans, I cannot stand the "HOT" and "NEW" buttons beside every new thread, it hurts my eyes.

Lionbackers is pretty decent, but I tend not too go there much as when a team is having good success there really isnt that much to argue about. The only discussion that ever goes on there is Dickenson vs Printers.

GoStampsGo has improved a bunch over last season and is starting to have a good base of members.

The rest are too new to be considered the best, maybe ticats.ca could be considered good, I don't really visit it that often.
MY CFL EXCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

Tony_Montana
Champion

Post by Tony_Montana » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:16 pm

I prefer this one, cause I would rather discuss things with fans from all teams, as opposed to limiting myself to just the fans (for the most part) of one team. That being said I really only post with any regularity on here and RF, a very limited amount on Esks and Bombers, and maybe a post or 2 on Lionbackers. I don't like to troll, and as such tend to only really lurk on other team sites as a means of learning about the goings on around the league. However of the sites I lurk and or post on, not counting this one:

Riderfans is my number 1 site for obvious reasons, although people over there can be a little overly sensative, and I do think that they are a little to quick to ban people, but all in all I like the site.

I enjoy reading Lionbackers from time to time it is a quality site.

Ourbombers is a good place to go if you want to get your fix of Rider bashing, if you have not got enough here.

Esksfans is a well moderated site run by some quality individuals that has some really good posters, and Nanookster. :)

GoStampsGo is a decent site that is somewhat poorly moderated, on RF.com they go overboard with the bannings, on GoStampsGo they do not do enough to keep things "clean".
Never let the facts get in the way when making an argument!

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:29 pm

Funny thing I find is that eastern fans tend to visit eastern boards and western fans tend to stay with the western boards. Guess it's the strong inter-division rivalries. Overall, I'd have to say that every team site has come a looooong way over the last 5 years. Nice to see!! :clap:

This site is easily the best in the league. Knowledgeable, passionate fans from the entire country. CFL heaven! :beauty:

Ticats.ca is good for news, but the forums tend to become like CHML's 5th quarter call in shows. Fans with little knowledge posting complaints ad nauseum.

argofans.com has really been picking up steam. Some very good people over there. Only downside seems to be the amount of trash talking. Makes it look like argo dave's mutual *beep* society. On second thought, the team motto is "Pull Together". :rotf:

earl2
Superstar

Post by earl2 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:49 pm

I know I'm biased but my choice is esksfans.com
On a mission from God.

Lowenberger
Superstar

Post by Lowenberger » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:06 pm

I said Riderfans...mainly because it has the most traffic(at least I think it does). Helps that I'm a rider fan as well.

After that, I'd say Eskfans and lionbackers are the best.
Go Riders!

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:35 pm

cossack wrote: argofans.com has really been picking up steam. Some very good people over there. Only downside seems to be the amount of trash talking. Makes it look like argo dave's mutual *beep* society. On second thought, the team motto is "Pull Together". :rotf:

heh, show some links where you feel too much 'trash talking' is allowed. Go ahead, I'll wait.

One reason why there is not too much mean spirited whining there is because YOU don't post there. Yes, I've seen what you post on Ticats.ca so I know just what to expect from you. :twisted:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:45 pm

the eastern sites I just don't visit that often

RF is easily the busiest team fan site ... I'd say that they are as busy as we are here ... it's a credit to chaps efforts and all those rider fans that it is so busy ... well done!

esksfans is a solid site and now that it has been around for awhile has becoime very popular

ourbombers ... I used to hate that site, just seemed like to much bickering to me but I don't find it that way anymore ... I like it now and

gsg has come along way hopefully they can stay away from the db problems they have had in the past .... with a link from the stamps site you can expect gsg to grow quickly

yes I'm biased but my fave is Lionbackers ... because the site was put up pre message board it has a lot of extra historical info you don't find at most other team sites. I love the new look and of course the Lions have a vastly superior colour scheme to work with. I also feel that because the lions have no traditional rival the lionbackers often gets overlooked in these polls but in this thread at least that seems to have changed

I wish I could come up with a suitable colour scheme here that everyone would like but it's not easy when your trying to represent 9 teams
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Oiler
Superstar

Post by Oiler » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:50 pm

It's good to see a varied opinions ranting notwithstanding. Now I kind on know which sites I previous ignored are worth seeing. The hardest thing is to get into an objective discussion with someone on another teams board though. But it can be done nevertheless :-)
If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

calf
Starter

Post by calf » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:58 pm

D wrote:gsg has come along way hopefully they can stay away from the db problems they have had in the past .... with a link from the stamps site you can expect gsg to grow quickly

should probably note we've turfed the host that was giving us so many problems, and I believe our new host is the same one that Riderfans is using.

as for expecting quick growth - something I've been tracking - we were hoping in March that we'd be at 300 members, up from the 200 we were hovering around for some time. We've since nearly tripled in size to almost 600 members.

I personally think it's great that there's so many quality boards for all CFL fans. I'm of the belief that it's not the mods, the software, or the layout that make the board, but the people that post on them that make them great.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:14 pm

I personally think it's great that there's so many quality boards for all CFL fans.

it's really nice to see that each team has one now :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com