To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae

27th Oct ? 11th Nov is Poppy Week.

Please Support your Veterans, and Buy A Poppy

Last edited by tigger on Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:17 pm

Maybe Remembrance Day will start having some meaning to people from now on...

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:56 pm

It always had meaning ISO but we have had whole generations grow up in this country that have been largely untouched by the scourge of war. Sometimes it takes something that hits close to home before people begin to understand the true meaning behind days like Remembrance Day. We are all fortunate that the worst thing we have to worry about is whether people will appreciate the gravity of this important event. I have faith that people will.
Lest We Forget!

Reider
Starter

Post by Reider » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:10 am

iso_55 wrote:Maybe Remembrance Day will start having some meaning to people from now on...
It's always had meaning iso.. maybe not for you, but definitly for people who's loved ones fought for our freedom, but that should not be a requisit. IMO anyone who appreciates his or her freedom should be able to appreciate rememberence day.

:canada:
www.cflzone.com

"Nothing rocks better than the Zone" - Ritch Dowrey aka 3rd Down

Steve O'Brien
Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Steve O'Brien » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:09 am

Well, I've said this before but I think there has been big upswing in people taking time to reflect on Remeberance Day, esp among young people. The crowds at the cermeonies here in Ottawa have been pretty large over past few years since I've been back and a lot of familiies bring their children> You also see a lot more teenagers and young adults in the big crowds than you might think. Of course, I can't speak for what happens across Canada.

When I was a kid, it was a day off from school with govts getting day off, beer and liquor stores closed etc.. Then over the years, it became a half-day, a sort of holiday. Now, I've noticed that a lot of stores and businesses stay closed on Nov 11th til at least noon. That includes big US companies like Staples etc.

BTW: It's impossible for me to forget the day. It happens to be my BD.
Thank You. Finally, someone who makes sense. No wonder I bought your book: SOLAR MAX

MY CFL INCLUDES OTTAWA!

ETMRaw
All Star

Post by ETMRaw » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:41 pm

"At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning,
We shall remember them."

Per Ardua Ad Astra
There are no stupid questions. Only funny ones.

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by tigger » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:39 pm

iso_55 wrote:Maybe Remembrance Day will start having some meaning to people from now on...
I am a Member of The Canadian Forces Reserve, Since 1972, I have been Overseas UN with Cyprus UNFICYP , Egypt UNEFME, Goland Hights UNIFIL x2, What I did between 73 -79, is Nothing, what, are troops are doing NOW :beauty:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Reider wrote:
It's always had meaning iso.. maybe not for you, but definitly for people who's loved ones fought for our freedom, but that should not be a requisit. IMO anyone who appreciates his or her freedom should be able to appreciate rememberence day.

It always had meaning for me because I come from the generation where my dad fought in WWII along with my uncles who fought the Nazis in Italy.
When I was in school, right from the time I was I elementary school through high school, we would have large assemblies & all my friends knew exactly what Remembrance Day was all about as we had older family members who served overseas. Some families had even lost members during WWII & they were remembered on that day.
People's dad or grandfather, uncle, aunt... someone from almost every family had been involved in WWI, WWII or Korea. And everything was closed. No newspapers, schools closed, department stores. Grocery stores could stay open when I was a kid but all they were allowed to sell was bread, milk & meat.
By the 1980's, Remembrance Day had become a holiday from school or work. Retailers, grocery stores & pubs were allowed to be open like any other day & sell to their hearts content. I even worked for a company that made us work on Remembrance day in exchange for day off during after Xmas, usually on December 27th.
Then came stories in the 1990's & this decade about companies kicking out war vets from their stores selling poppies. And you talk to any kid & other than the standard response they blurted out, "they died for our freedom" had no clue about Remembrance Day.
So, Reider... Remembrance Day has always had special meaning for me. It was the generation after me & the one after that & now my kids where it has little or no meaning & that is too bad.
I believe our involvement in Afghanistan will hopefully change all that.

Canuck_4_Life
All Star

Post by Canuck_4_Life » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:13 am

Being one of the younger people on this board, Remembrance Day didn't really mean much until I got into high school and became aware of what my family was put through, being of Japanese descent and living on the West Coast.

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by tigger » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:46 am

iso_55 wrote:
Reider wrote:

It always had meaning for me because I come from the generation where my dad fought in WWII along with my uncles who fought the Nazis in Italy.
When I was in school, right from the time I was I elementary school through high school, we would have large assemblies & all my friends knew exactly what Remembrance Day was all about as we had older family members who served overseas. Some families had even lost members during WWII & they were remembered on that day.
People's dad or grandfather, uncle, aunt... someone from almost every family had been involved in WWI, WWII or Korea. And everything was closed. No newspapers, schools closed, department stores. Grocery stores could stay open when I was a kid but all they were allowed to sell was bread, milk & meat.
By the 1980's, Remembrance Day had become a holiday from school or work. Retailers, grocery stores & pubs were allowed to be open like any other day & sell to their hearts content. I even worked for a company that made us work on Remembrance day in exchange for day off during after Xmas, usually on December 27th.
Then came stories in the 1990's & this decade about companies kicking out war vets from their stores selling poppies. And you talk to any kid & other than the standard response they blurted out, "they died for our freedom" had no clue about Remembrance Day.
So, Reider... Remembrance Day has always had special meaning for me. It was the generation after me & the one after that & now my kids where it has little or no meaning & that is too bad.
I believe our involvement in Afghanistan will hopefully change all that.
:whs: My Father inlaw(Gwen) was wounded in Dieppe.Royal Regiment of Canada , he was one of the first on JUNO Beach, and got his left leg hit, and Spent 4 years as a POW. Gwen never told his story to his Wife or Family, But he told me. I spent Hours with Gwen telling me about what they went through. Gwen was 5 foot 8, 140lbs, when he came Home his weight was 95lbs.

You Don't Know, what they went through. PURE Phucking HELL...God Bless Them ALL

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:40 am

It's sad that the sacrifices people went thru are forgotten...
Then yesterday, I see anti war demonstrators on tv & one scumbag is yelling thru a blowhorn calling our troops murderers. He yelled out they were over in Afghanistan killing innocent people... & should be brought home. :x

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:42 am

It's sad that the sacrifices people went thru are forgotten...
Then yesterday, I see anti war demonstrators on tv & one scumbag is yelling thru a blowhorn calling our troops murderers. He yelled out they were over in Afghanistan killing innocent people... & should be brought home. :x

And there was everybody's favourite vote prostitute Jack Layton speaking to the crowd in Ottawa. The more I see that jerk open his mouth, the more I am beginning to hate him.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:28 am

I had a friend (sadly passed away a couple of years ago) that was in RAF Bomber Command. He made a comment once that I think has some bearing here. The comment was that people who had never fought in a war would always have some difficulty in truly understanding what it was like. There was a common bond that tied vets together in a way that could never be completely appreciated by others who hadn't served. That lack of appreciation can sometimes be reflected in ignorant actions such as you describe. I find these people pitiable rather than a source of anger. At the most basic level they want something we all want which is peace but seem to equate armed conflict with blood lust and wanton disregard for life. Nothing could be further from the truth and their misguided actions are a reflection only on themselves not our troops. That isn't to say, that I think our troops should be there. I think that question can be posed respectfully and with good intent. It is part of being a democracy. Too bad the would be accusers can't seem to understand that their freedom to make those statements comes from the very people they are accusing.

woody
Superstar

Post by woody » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:I had a friend (sadly passed away a couple of years ago) that was in RAF Bomber Command. He made a comment once that I think has some bearing here. The comment was that people who had never fought in a war would always have some difficulty in truly understanding what it was like. There was a common bond that tied vets together in a way that could never be completely appreciated by others who hadn't served. That lack of appreciation can sometimes be reflected in ignorant actions such as you describe. I find these people pitiable rather than a source of anger. At the most basic level they want something we all want which is peace but seem to equate armed conflict with blood lust and wanton disregard for life. Nothing could be further from the truth and their misguided actions are a reflection only on themselves not our troops. That isn't to say, that I think our troops should be there. I think that question can be posed respectfully and with good intent. It is part of being a democracy. Too bad the would be accusers can't seem to understand that their freedom to make those statements comes from the very people they are accusing.
WOW...What a Statement :beauty: :beauty:

Particularly the last line...How True! :beauty:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

attomrida
Superstar

Post by attomrida » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:48 am

I believe that the many fatalities encountered this year by our young troops in Afghanistan will help to rekindle the impact and importance of Remembrance Day.

Unfortunately retailers treat it as another shopping holiday.
" 87.6534 % of statistics are made up on the spur of the moment" "