Moderator: Referees

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Remembrance Day Petition

Post by tigger » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:26 am

To: Government of Canada

Throughout the history of Canada, our Armed Forces have sacrificed life and limb to defend the rights and freedoms of Canadian citizens. In wars past and present, the soldiers of the Canadian Armed Forces have, without hesitation, stepped in to ensure the quality of life we enjoy today. These soldiers do so out of dedication to our country and our values, and are willing to give their lives for this cause.

Remembrance Day is not a national holiday in Canada. The laws governing this day vary from province to province. In Ontario, for instance, Remembrance Day in not a holiday and, as such, students from this province are restricted from attending services by school and adults are restricted by work. Other provinces have different laws.

To allow Canadians to show their appreciation for sacrifices made by our soldiers, and to remember those that gave their lives in defence of our country, we, the people of Canada, ask that the Government of Canada recognize this sacrifice by declaring November 11th, Remembrance Day, a national holiday.

Sincerely,

Remembrance Day Petition

CatsEyes
Superstar

Post by CatsEyes » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Signed!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:23 pm

Signed !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:41 pm

Signed! Thanks for putting this up Tigger. :beauty:
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

woody
Superstar

Post by woody » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:48 pm

One step ahead of you...both of us! :beauty:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:01 pm

Signed and ditto!
Lest We Forget!

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by tigger » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:50 pm

Keep it up, pass the word around :beauty:

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:53 pm

Signed.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

General Taylor
Superstar

Post by General Taylor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Thanks Tigger. posting this on ourbombers and sending it to all my contacts in email....

cflnut
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by cflnut » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:39 pm

Federal Government employees do get the day off already. But it should be a day off for everyone. :beauty:
Football. More then a game, a way of life, purging the primitive brute from men's souls. A communion with the basic nature of humankind, hence the sacrilege in allowing stores to open on Sunday - the Lord's Day of Football.

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:21 am

Shelion
Rookie

Post by Shelion » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:39 am

Signed :beauty:

Hoof
All Star
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Post by Hoof » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:03 am

Hey, I'm not against it but I do have a few questions about the holiday.

What purpose would this day off serve to school children? To them it would be just another free day to hang out at the mall because they sure as hell ain't going down to the local cenotaph for the Remembrance Day ceremonies. Well, not unless they are forced to do so. If I'm twelve years old with a free day off then I'm gone, baby. Kids don't give a rat's rear about Juno beach or any of that 'old crap' because to them it was a million years ago and they get their war fix thru Playstation.

Would it not be better to keep the kids in school on Remembrance Day and commit the whole day to learning about the Canadians that sacrificed their lives to earn these children the freedom that they take for granted? You know, maybe have specific projects that entail the learning of Canadians in combat throughout history? Maybe bring in vets to talk about Canadians at war? Lord knows, we are losing the old WW II guys but we have a whole bunch of new vets coming up thru the ranks now.

The adults already know all about Remembrance Day but the kids don't and they are the target audience, right? Most businesses already give time off for employees to attend the Remembrance Day ceremonies. But if they don't then it should be law that everything, and I mean everything, closes down between 1000 and 1200hrs on Nov. 11th so people can attend. This might suffice instead because the shopping malls only close for Christmas Day now. Easter Sunday has even been kicked to the curb.

Just some thoughts. Our soldiers and vets have deserved more recognition for years but I think Remembrance Day would be better served with the upcoming generations learning exactly why they live in a free society and to give tribute to the people that sacrificed everything to make them free.

With all due respect.

Hoof

Fullhouse
Prospect

Post by Fullhouse » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a courier driver and we fall under national law, so we have to work. We do get a day off between x-mas and New Year instead, but it's pretty embarassing when I have to deliver to a Remembrance Day service and many vets look at you in disrespect.

BTW national law also means you get one week holiday less per year and many provinces are giving out family day stats. There is no such thing with national law.

The real kicker is only maybe 5% of our workforce travel from province to province working. Why do I, only working in one province have to fall under national law?