Moderator: Referees

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

2008 posts of the year

Post by Ron » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 pm

By Hammerman (Nominated by Solar Max)
Ron wrote:Best line
I'd like to address my final comments to our fans in Ottawa, fans who have been through a lot. You never let football in Ottawa down, even when the reverse was true.
Those last 6 words speak volumes.
i'm actually astounded to see the insight shown in that statement... insight that i find to be in the minority among the CFL and its fans... this sort of insight is exactly why the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are where they are today (after Tom Wright gave them the chance to exist in the first place)... the lack of insight shown to have pulled down the tents, turned off the lights, lock the doors, and seemingly RUN away from the football fans (and confidence in their own product) in OTT (clutching their preeixisting Vulture Draft) before the team was even close to having the same chance that HAM and TOR were given, has laid at the heart of my contention with the CFL BoG, its character, and its view of Canadian football and its fans east of Manitoba... i still believe that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats exist today despite the intentions of the CFL BoG, and it seems to me that they were ready to jump on any sort of similar thing happening in OTT... so i am actually astounded to see the insight shown in that statement from someone i've considered, perhaps up to this point, the Executive Director of Marketting for the CFL... he sounds like an actual Commissioner of the CFL in that statement (that listened to Bob Young)... LOL! dangerous job.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: 2008 posts of the year

Post by cossack » Fri May 23, 2008 6:38 pm

By West Coast Als Fan (nominated by Cossack)
West Coast Als Fan wrote:Look, I'm all for letting the market decide but that's not what's happening here. We're talking about a league that has meaning for Canadians from coast to coast but that's not the market which is going to decide the CFL's fate if it comes to that. The market that will hold sway is the Toronto market because that's the only market that the Canadian corporate community cares about. If you put an NFL team, full-time, into Toronto the corporate support for the CFL will disappear. That's what will kill the CFL, not the loss of the Argos. The CFL can survive the loss of the Argos if they have to; it's the corporate money (almost all of it headquartered in Toronto) that it cannot be without.

If you were to put an NFL team in Montreal, only the Als would suffer. The CFL would be fine because all that Toronto money would still be there supporting the CFL. But you drop an NFL team into the 416 and the suits will bail on the Argos, the Ti-Cats and the CFL in a nano-second.

Why should the rest of Canada allow self-serving Toronto corporate interests to kill off 8 teams and the league they play in just so that one carpetbagging team from a US-based league can thrive in that one market? Canada's corporate wealth is far too centralized in southern Ontario for this not to happen if the Bills are permitted to move in on a full-time basis.

As for Godfrey and Tannenbaum, you have to be delusional to think that they want the CFL to survive. Not only that, but it is also inaccurate to say that they don't care if the CFL lives or dies. They care very much. They want the CFL to die and I would argue that they NEED it to die in order for their master plan to be realized. It's not enough to simply host a few games; they want to own the Bills outright. They can't do that as long as the Rogers Center exists because the 52,000 capacity makes it far too small for an NFL team. Green Bay, a city of roughly 100,000 people, has expanded Lambeau Field to accommodate over 70,000 fans so there's no way that the Rogers Center can even work as a stop-gap. These guys know that unless they build a new stadium (or, more accurately, bamboozle the taxpayers into building one for them) their NFL dream is dead on arrival. This whole game was, is and always will be about the stadium. The Godfrey cabal may have the scratch to buy a team, but can they afford to also build a stadium with their own money? I doubt it. They want to get the team and then coerce the government into giving them a handout.

This is where politicians like Campbell (the former mayor of Vancouver who, in case you didn't already know, was the guy upon whom the lead character in the series "DaVinci's Inquest" was based) can have an impact. They can give the NFL sycophants a huge black eye and a ton of bad press simply by exposing the ploy. Any politician from the Prairies or the west coast would be thrown out of office (bodily!) if he or she were to ever cast a vote in favour of spending their constituents' tax money on a stadium in Toronto for the Bills. Politically, it's a complete non-starter.

Campbell, for his part, says that he loves the NFL and has attended the last couple of Super Bowls in person; he just isn't interested in having it come to Canada and kill off the CFL. As he says, if people in Toronto or Vancouver really want to see an NFL game, they can drive 2 hours to Buffalo or Seattle and do just that. It isn't necessary for them to bring a franchise into the city especially if it winds up killing off the CFL in the process.

And what exactly does the NFL get out of this? Access to the Canadian market? Pish-tosh! They already have the Canadian market. Most of us follow the NFL as closely as we do the CFL. We may not love it in the same way that we love our league, but we are avid followers nonetheless. Bringing a team into the country gets the NFL nothing but grief if the CFL winds up dead and now that there's no NFL Europe, the NFL has (or should have) a keen interest in seeing to it that the CFL continues to exist and thrive. No matter what the critics in this country say, the CFL is the best football league in the world outside of the NFL. Because of this, it provides the NFL with a valuable service as a feeder league and player proving ground and it provides all this at virtually no cost to the NFL. NFL Europe was a financial drain on the NFL which is why they killed it off. The CFL can do for the NFL everything that NFL Europe did except that the NFL doesn't have to underwrite all the costs. All they have to do is not screw with it by dropping franchises into it's backyard.

Hopefully, saner heads on both sides of the border will prevail and we'll see the Bills relocated to LA instead of Toronto. But I'd still feel better if Parliament did something concrete to prevent the Bills and any other non-Canadian teams or leagues from relocating here and putting the CFL in peril. The federal government did it once already back in the 70's when they kept a WFL expansion team out of Toronto (much to the chagrin of John Bassett, the Larry Tannenbaum of his day) If they felt the need to protect the CFL with legislation back in the glory days of the mid-70's against what was essentially a minor league, they sure as hell need to do it when the league about to encroach on the CFL's turf is the big, bad NFL.

We need to stop whistling past the graveyard. We need to stop pretending that it's no big deal. It's a big deal and the stakes are as high as it gets for the CFL. And the guys on the other side, the unholy triumvirate of Tannenbaum, Godfrey and Rogers are the living embodiment of evil. They aren't looking to co-exist with the CFL any more than Nazi Germany was intending to co-exist with Poland or Czeckoslovakia. This is exactly what it looks like - the thin edge of the wedge.

These corporate whores need to be stopped by any means possible, and sooner rather than later.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sun May 25, 2008 10:46 am

cossack wrote:I don't blame you for not wanting to use Ticketmaster. The only way that they could be more evil is if they renamed it Paul Godfrey's Ticketmaster.
Nominated by ArgoDave. :clap:
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:15 pm

wfm wrote:
OrangeShoes99 wrote:But Tuck,

Ted Rogers has become rich because his company has prospered from protectionism. He bought the Skydome for 25 million dollars...and laughed about it. His communications companies have thrived because US companies are not allowed to come and compete with him.

If Rogers wants the NFL in Canada, then he should welcome HBO, all the satellite providers, and the CRTC should be abolished...Of course, he would certainly have a different view of the matter then.
I'm a US citizen, so I've little to say regarding Canadian culture and institutions other than I admire most of them a wish my country would adopt a few as well.

But.... the NFL has been trying to "grow" its "brand" throughout the world for more than a decade now, thankfully with little success, and this latest move is simply their latest attempt.

What makes any Canadian football fan think that a few Bills games in Toronto is the end of the story? The end of the story could, perhaps would, be a franchise in Toronto. Followed by another in Vancouver and another in Montreal. Perhaps even another one or two, depending on how cozy local politicians get with the NFL invasion.

Could the CFL survive a Toronto NFL franchise? Perhaps but I'm doubtful. It could not survive an NFL franchise in three or four of the largest Canadian cities. And that's the final outcome of this latest NFL attempt at expanding it's "brand" beyond our borders. Toronto is a foot in the door. Permitting that means that Canada could hardly stop additional teams.

The NHL used dollars to remove franchises from Canada to place them in US cities with no hockey presense. The NFL has no such cities in the country, other than LA, so they are using US dollars to take over football familiar cities in Canada. It's the same thing as the NHL, just a mirror image.

I've been a CFL fan since 1960, I'm also an NFL fan since 1961. I strongly believe that any NFL presense in Canada leads nowhere other than the end of the CFL. I don't want to see that happen.

Canadians have to win the battle of Toronto, if you don't you won't even see a batte of Vancouver, Montreal or even Ottawa.
Nominated by yours truly.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:17 pm

ping, regarding the Bills NFL lottery in Toronto:
argolio wrote:
Its the only lottery in the history of the world that everyone who entered won.
Holy insight Batman, ping just gave us the line of the year! :beer:
http://13thman.com/cheers/viewtopic.php ... 71#p696971

Nominated by argolio.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Hey, what's about me... I got nominated too :(

http://13thman.com/cheers/viewtopic.php ... 90#p696290

:wink:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Hey, what's about me... I got nominated too :(

http://13thman.com/cheers/viewtopic.php ... 90#p696290

Seriously, IM, I was getting to it. :beauty:

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:30 am

Solar Max wrote:ping, regarding the Bills NFL lottery in Toronto:
argolio wrote:
Its the only lottery in the history of the world that everyone who entered won.
Holy insight Batman, ping just gave us the line of the year! :beer:
http://13thman.com/cheers/viewtopic.php ... 71#p696971

Nominated by argolio.
Nice one Ping. And no typos!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Tony_Montana wrote:
cfldave wrote: I like Rod Black over Cuthbert, Ford is still an unknown quantity and I'd be happy if Suitor would just shut up whenever the ref is speaking.

Huh! :o

That is akin to saying Jar Jar is my favorite Star Wars character.
http://13thman.com/cheers/viewtopic.php ... a&start=15
Nominated by Solar Max.

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by prairiedog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:46 pm

I like this one.
Paul Woods wrote:Sigh.

Among denizens of these boards, bashing the Canadian media for their perceived ant-CFL bias is as much a part of the orthodoxy as is bashing Jake Ireland for his perceived anti-(insert your team) bias.

Sure, Reilly's article is well-written, but what "effort" did he put into it that Cdn newspapers and news agencies weren't making at the same time? Every bit of actual information in that article -- about the TV contract, poor marketing, Mitchell's salary, teams almost dying, Skalbania, etc. -- had been reported on extensively by Cdn media. There was nothing in the piece that could be classified as new information that had never been reported before. In fact, I would wager that most of Reilly's "effort" involved perusing clipping files. To be fair to him, he did appear to interview a number of individuals connected with the league, but every one of them spoke to other media outlets as well at the time.

There were tons of "whither the CFL" articles written by Cdn news outlets in 1987, as there should have been. And there is still plenty of "effort" put into covering the CFL now. Not every outlet gives it as much space or attention as fans would like -- the Argos rank a distant fourth in terms of space in Toronto newspapers, which is not surprising given the relative popularity and value of the other three teams in town -- but in overall, national terms, I've yet to see any evidence that the media don't care about, or properly cover, the CFL.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Cool » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 am

ticatfan wrote:
Nice one Ping. And no typos![/quote]

:clap: