GreyCupGarry

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

borehamgirl
Rookie

Re: GreyCupGarry

Post by borehamgirl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:24 am

What an amazingly appropriate sendoff for Garry. Gargy and I really wish we could have been there, but you guys did us proud and gave Garry a sendoff he would have loved. I can't put into words how moved I am that Pinball had the class to show up to say goodbye to Garry. That would have meant a lot to him. I raised a glass in Garry's honour last night. We will miss him.

winched
Starter
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by winched » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 am

cossack wrote:We gave our friend a sendoff that I know he would have liked. I am thankful that so many of Garry's friends were there to help share the burden of his passing. Garry would have had one of his huge laughs over the thought that 12 of us were tailgating in the funeral home parking lot. For those of you from around the country that weren't able to be there in person, your thoughts and good wishes for Garry and his family were appreciated. There is a poem from Freak, posted previously in this thread, that so touched a member of Garry's family, that she read it aloud during the service.
Words cannot express the amount of respect that I hold for Michael Clemons. He told me that he had just arrived back in Toronto this morning and heard the news about Garry. He made the trip to Rockwood to honour our friend. That speaks volumes about Michael Clemons and Grey Cup Garry Terpstra.
Godspeed Garry.
Well said!!

Gargoyle
Prospect

Post by Gargoyle » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Mr. Clemons remains the class of the league for his heart and kindness. I'm sure that meant so much to those closest to Garry.

And truly, thank you to those who shared their experiences from the funeral. It affords those who were not able to attend a better sense of closure. A very appropriate tribute in the parking lot as well. God bless you all.
"Oderint Dum Metuant" -Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear. -Lucius Accius, (170B.C.) Roman citizen of the EMPIRE.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Ron wrote: Mike Clemons came and also gave a eulogy. He stayed and talked to many (wife and I included) after the service.
Garry would have loved it.
Pretty nice of Uther, eh? :wink:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Hoof
All Star
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Post by Hoof » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:50 pm

How fittingly cool that Pinner would show up and that just shows the class of the Argonauts organization. That is the mark of CFL class and that is what this league is all about. As corny as this may sound, I believe that Michael is a true disciple of God who not only went there to acknowledge Garry's passing but to help out the people that were hurtin' as well. Clemons is the 'Godman' and just his presence exudes positivity and a really upbeat feeling. I hope Pinball is at my funeral even if I've gotta hire him for the gig. I better put that in my will, eh?

So, what were you guys cookin' up at the funeral home parkin' lot tailgate? Alberta beef because of GCG's love for Calgary?That is funny stuff and good on ya for doin' it, whatever the meat. From what I hear, Garry had the perfect CFL fan send off and that warms the cockles of my heart.

We will all get together next year, at the GC in Cowtown, to raise a toast to Garry! Who's in?

Hoof
GO TURD!!

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Hoof wrote:
We will all get together next year, at the GC in Cowtown, to raise a toast to Garry! Who's in?

Hoof
:beauty: I'm in :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:08 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
Ron wrote: Mike Clemons came and also gave a eulogy. He stayed and talked to many (wife and I included) after the service.
Hey. I don't want his castle ... so he's nice to me :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

winched
Starter

Post by winched » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 am

D wrote:
Hoof wrote:

Hoof
My dad and I are in. :beer:

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:24 am

The 13thman party will be a great one in Calgary. It should probably be at (the new?) Cowboys. Garry would find that fitting. (Kid Rock reference inserted here).

ArgoDave
Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Hoof wrote:We will all get together next year, at the GC in Cowtown, to raise a toast to Garry! Who's in?

Hoof
Sounds great! We'll be there. :beer:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Alswin
Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Alswin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:45 am

I read this yesterday and I am completely stunned. Though I never met Gary, I always enjoyed reading his posts. Very funny and thoughtfull, he never wrote anything negative towards another poster. He was the 13thman I wanted to meet the most. A great fan!
13thman.com is a great site, but it wont be the same without gary. My condolences to his family and to anyone who was close to him.

winched
Starter

Post by winched » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:43 am

D wrote:Here is also a lil avy I whipped up

Sociable :beer:
Thanks for creating the avy...It will be put to good use :D :beer:

tuck
Superstar

Post by tuck » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:33 am

Ron wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:
Hey. I don't want his castle ... so he's nice to me :wink:
Ah, if only he could say the same of you, eh Ron? :tease:

I'm hoping my camera cables are at work and will have photos posted tomorrow. :beer:

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 am

D wrote:
Hoof wrote:

Hoof
im in !
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 am

ping wrote:
D wrote:
Hoof wrote:

Hoof
im in !
I'm in
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site