GreyCupGarry

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

Starter
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: GreyCupGarry

Postby winched » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 pm

My dad and I are both very saddened by this news.

My heart felt condolences go to Ally and his family.

RIP Garry, you will be missed!!

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby Freak » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Garry, you were a light in so many lives, and ever you shall remain. I am richer for having known you, as we all are. You will always be missed.

My and our sincere condolences to the Terpstra family, Brad and Ally in particular.

Do not stand on my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints in the snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am a gentle Autumns rain
When you awaken in the morning hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
I am the birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night
So do not stand on my grave and cry
I am not there.... I did not die

Superstar

Postby OrangeShoes99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Ron wrote:Heaven is a better place today. I can just envision the Pearly Gates and it's Garry's turn to enter. He'll put his left foot in .....

Well it's sure going to be a lot more fun....I can hear it now....."Arrrrrrrrrrgooooooos!" They are definitely in for some good eating too.
All together for 3rdDown..."Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaa!"
CFL Fans Fight Cancer - See how you can help at http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com

All Star

Postby Lions_Fan_4_Life » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:57 pm

This is so sad. I had the privilege of meeting Garry twice. The first time a couple years ago at a Lions game, when he started trash talking to the Ti Cats to my dad (in a friendly way of course), and seemed like a great guy.

Then I met him at a Ti Cat game the year after, where he was cracking jokes about the Cats, and how badly they were performing.

Garry, may you rest in peace. We'll all miss you.
BB_Blitz wrote:BOOOOOOOOOOOO :thdn: :thdn:

The Bombers' horrific slump shall continue :D :cowboy:

Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Postby XGamer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Wow...I'm shocked !

Last time I saw him, I was coming back from the Grey Cup Festival village and saw Garry & Ally smoking ouside the Novotel....talked a bit to them & hughed him & Alli before going to my room.

CFL lost its biggest fan !

I'll miss 'ya Garry...you'll be in my prayers !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Postby Spellchecker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:04 pm

I am very sorry to learn of the loss of a fellow fan of the CFL and a friend of our nation. We are poorer for it.

My deepest condolences to Garry's family and friends.
My message has been posted successfully.

Superstar

Postby squishy35 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:30 pm

Wow......

I never met him personally, but I love his wit with his many many posts. He seemed to be very loved by all who knew him. This site, and the CFL has lost a treasure....

My most heartfelt condolences to his family and all who knew him.

I will miss the Bullwinkle avatar...

Godspeed Gary.......

Superstar

Postby CatsEyes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I didn't get a chance to post all the things I wanted to say and all the memories I have. I never saw Garry without a smile on his face-he was always the spirit that lit up the room. He lived his life the way it should be lived-with pure joy. He was the first person I met on here that was a CFL fan AND a NASCAR fan, and I used to love when we did the pools and looked forward to the season starting. He was a phenomenal cook, and I'm grateful that I had the pleasure of attending one of his backyard do's-now THAT's a tailgate party. I still remember him telling the mirror joke and barely being able to get through it because we were all laughing so hard-sometimes it's the telling of the thing that's the funniest. I am much richer for having known him, and I can guarantee you that there's a pot of pulled pork simmering away up there already. Proost, Garry! :beer:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Superstar

Postby Stampman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I never met Gary, I only knew of him through this site, but he was always interesting to read, and sounded like a fun guy to be around.

I just saw this on [url]cfl.ca[/url], and had to check on it here.

Certainly my condolences go out to his family, friends, and all who were touched by his life.
Real men don't wear green...

Champion

Postby 1argoholic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:14 pm

WOW!!! I am in total shock to say the least. It's 4 pm here on Vancouver Island and I just heard the news from a friend.
What can you add that everyone else hasn't said. I've talked to Gary many times over the years especially at Grey Cup. We had that Toronto/Calgary connection. This word is thrown around way too much when it doesn't even apply. But he was a true gentleman. This is very sad news indeed. I hope the best for his family.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

Rookie

Postby borehamgirl » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:20 pm

I am so very sorry to hear this. I'm still stunned. Garry was a great man and a good friend to anyone who crossed his path. He was one of the good ones. Never too shy to share whatever it was he was cooking that day. I met Garry at an argo tailgate a few years back and he never tired of teasing me about Boreham and rarely called me Tina. Mostly it was borehamgirl. He was one of the most friendly and laid-back people I've had the pleasure of meeting. To say he will be missed is an understatement. Garry's kindness knew no bounds. He didn't care who you cheered for, he was still willing to feed you and crack jokes with you. My sincere condolences to his family. It truly is a great loss.

RIP GarryImage

Champion
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby amchow78 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Just learned about this horrible news! :( :( :(

I am truly feeling sadness and disbelief over the loss of GreyCupGarry! I've once said of him that he was a man that treated me like I was his own son over the last five years that I've known him & met with him @ every CFL get-together! That said, it's like I've lost my CFL-fan patriarch

We've developed a tradition of raising our arms in a TD sign to each other when the Argos scored a major @ every home game! Sadly, I won't be able to continue with that tradition!

Garry, thank you for being a fun-loving guy who embraced me as one of your own! Thank you for the pulled pork sandwiches, the beers, the KFC, your energetic enthusiasm, your jokes, and most of all ... your kindness! I hope that wherever you are, you are treated with the same level of kindess that you gave to everyone that you knew! I'll miss ya! :(
Alex C. is saying "R.I.P. to GreyCupGarry ... a man who treated me like his own son @ every CFL game I went to for the last five years!"

Starter

Postby Reider » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:02 pm

RIP Garry.
www.cflzone.com

"Nothing rocks better than the Zone" - Ritch Dowrey aka 3rd Down

Hall of Famer

Postby argolio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:17 pm

R.I.P. Garry

Rookie

Postby fphnebitz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:33 pm

may you rest in peace garry. you will be truly missed.

tailgating with you before every argos game was always one of the most fun things of my biweekly routine. and your pulled pork gave many a good time over the course of our time with you.

you were a great man garry. i always felt as if i could talk with you about anything.
my sincerest condolences to garry's family.

i think that we should plan an event to remember garry sometime this offseason.
perhaps it can be a fundraiser for garry's favourite charity, and we could find a way to get something in his name (a seat at the dome, or something like a program to help people stay in school through the high school he went to).

any ideas?

PreviousNext

Return to Thread Archive