GreyCupGarry

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: GreyCupGarry

Postby woody » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 pm

I'm at a loss for words.

Despite the challenges that have been thrown at Garry in his life...he was always happy and a pleasure to be around.

He was a wonderful man, and a great friend!

Our sincere condolences to the Terpstra Family, particularly his son Brad and Garry's best friend, Ally!

woody and Sandy
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

Champion
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Postby Chyep » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:00 pm

OH CRAP!
We'll miss you Gary. Far too young, you will be remembered.
Official souce of the York Report.

Prospect

Postby amcflfan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Shocked is all i can say! thoughts and prayers for his family and all that knew him. Fans like that come around only once in a lifetime!

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby prairiedog » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:06 pm

Who's gonna do the dishes? :(

I was introduced to garry at the SoE in Vancouver '05 by BBBob. We basically said hello. The next day after the parade I noticed he (and his party) was walking just ahhead of me on the sidewalk on like Abbott street. When we stopped at the corner I just stood there to see if he recognized me. He had that delayed reaction that he always had, the grin, that inebriated grin, for a moment before the recognition kicked in. "Prairiedog," he pointed. After meeting me for 2 minutes in a crazy party the night before, he already knew me.

That was the moment of the "taxi" story that I've told before. Right then he asked me where to get a cab. I said this was as good as any, but cabs are pretty busy this weekend. So he sticks out his arm and this van stops. "Can you give us a ride?" he asks, not realizing that it's actually just a guy in a budget rent-a-van, not a taxi at all. "Oh well can you give us a ride anyways?" he chuckles. The guy asks where he's going. Garry says, "The Sheraton," which turns out to be the opposite way that the guy is headed. "Well, ok hop in," he relents, and Garry and his 3 friends get a free "taxi" back to the SoE.

After the game on Sunday that year, a bunch of us meet up at the Soho. At one point we all notice that Garry is standing up, addressing the room. "You don't understand," he says that grin is still plastered to his face (in fact I can not ever recall not seeing him smiling). "The Argos Suck, TiCats Suck business. It's a term of endearment. We love each other. We live so close, we work together. We hate each other, but we love each other. Argos Suck, TiCats Suck, it's just a term of endearment." Then he finished with the punchline, "But Calgary and Edmonton, they're just far enough apart that they just hate each other." It was a brilliant speech.

This time around in Montreal, I was there for 4 nights, but it was abit of a whirlwind. There were a lot of folks that I ran into on Thursday, barely said hello and then got whisked to the next person. I figured that I'd run into them again sometime in the weekend. Tuck, I only talked to for 5 mins. I regret that. Section W, same thing. Ping, we hit on that Calgary chick for 10 mins on Friday, I never saw you again. Garry was one of those folks. I saw him for 5 mins one day and five mins again the next. I regretted that even on the plane home. You can imagine what I feel like now.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!

heh

Rookie
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Postby Bosco » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I was fortunate to have met Garry at last year's "unofficial" Grey Cup parade, outside Rogers Place.

My condolences to his family, as well to his extended family of CFL friends throughout the country.
Last edited by Bosco on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lions retool...never rebuild!

2014 MVP

Postby cossack » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:26 pm

Garry's passing is devastating. The man set the example for fellowship in our CFL fraternity. He is responsible for fans in Southern Ontario getting to know each other on a personal level. He truly knew how to enjoy life and have fun. If you were in Garry's company, you were smiling and having a good time.
He once told me that after his near fatal car accident, he learned to never sweat the small stuff, that living and enjoying life was the most important thing. I don't think that I truly grasped that until now.
He exemplified the best of what we should aspire to, as CFL fans and as individuals. He made a difference in my life and I am a better person for having known him.
Rest easy my friend. I miss you.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby ArgoDave » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 pm

cossack wrote:Garry's passing is devastating. The man set the example for fellowship in our CFL fraternity. He is responsible for fans in Southern Ontario getting to know each other on a personal level. He truly knew how to enjoy life and have fun. If you were in Garry's company, you were smiling and having a good time.
He once told me that after his near fatal car accident, he learned to never sweat the small stuff, that living and enjoying life was the most important thing. I don't think that I truly grasped that until now.
He exemplified the best of what we should aspire to, as CFL fans and as individuals. He made a difference in my life and I am a better person for having known him.
Rest easy my friend. I miss you.

While I agree with what everyone else has said I think you said it best Terry. He was a fine man and a great CFL fan, the league could have no better Ambassador than he. An example for us all to imitate, if even in a small way. You helped make this last GC special for many people. Your presence will be missed, and you will be remembered.

I didn't know you as well as I wished to, and now I never will Garry. My loss. Rest In peace my friend, your pain is over.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Superstar

Postby Mike Hogan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:24 pm

It's not often a broadcaster is at a loss for words. Sadly, this is one of those times.

Tomorrow I will find a place that serves pulled pork sandwiches, and while I know it won't be as good as one of his tailgate specials, I'll chow down on one and toast him with a coolie.

I am stunned and saddened beyond words by this.

To his real family and to his other family here, you have my deepest, heart-felt sympathies.

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Postby Glenegade » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 pm

So many thing have been said so well about Garry so far here.

It's hard to believe this good friend was sitting beside me on the way to the Grey Cup two weeks ago today.

Every time I saw Garry he looked so happy to see me. And that's what was so great about Garry. It wasn't because it was me, it was because he was so happy to see everyone. For those who know him know what I mean. For those who didn't get a chance to know Garry, you didn't have to. you just had to be in his presence and it was like you had known him forever.

http://cfl.ca/article/stein-remembering-greycupgarry

Thanks Garry for all you had done, and for showing all of us how to be better people and appreciate each other

One of my all time favourite pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

2014 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Postby Rammer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm

All I can add is that this is one tough thread to make it through without shedding a tear or more. The CFL ambassador of 13thman to be sure, the smile, the energy given his circumstances was truly amazing. The Argos are going to be missing one of, if not their best fan, RIP.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

Prospect

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Although I only encountered Garry a few brief times during games, his spirit and kindness had a way of staying with you. God bless you, Garry. And God bless your family during this very difficult time. Rest in peace.
"Oderint Dum Metuant" -Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear. -Lucius Accius, (170B.C.) Roman citizen of the EMPIRE.

Legend

Postby iso_55 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:10 pm

I am truly shocked & saddened to hear of Garry's passing. I know that he loved the Argos, the CFL & he especially loved 13thman where he had so many friends. My prayers are with his family as are my condolences.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Superstar
Location: Gloucester Teams: Renegades, Senators, Blue Jays, Raptors, Bills

Postby Marty_Gades » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:52 am

I will miss you, my friend. A true delight you are, both here and in person. You are one of the CFL's finest, not just the fanbase's, but the league's.

In pace requiscat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We'll be back. You'll see.

Starter

Postby Dave in Korea » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:55 am

What incredibly sad news. I only knew GCG from his posts here, and I always wanted to meet him someday. But now I never will. A sad lesson in carpe diem. :(

13thman will never be quite the same, will it?

Since he was probably the friendliest 13thman ever, maybe the Grey Cup pub should be the Grey Cup Garry Pub from now on.
Dream out loud.

2014 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Postby SectionW » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:08 am

Like everyone else, i am shocked beyond words.

Garry was unique, i met only a few people that can claim to be in that class, Garry was that, fun in a can, not one mean bone, passsionate about the CFL.
I am glad i convinced him to come to the W and had the fun of watching a football with him and Ally.
Freak beautifully expressed what i feel with the poem he chose.
Thanks Garry, it was a privilege to have known you, it truly was.
:beer: :beer:
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

PreviousNext

Return to Thread Archive