GreyCupGarry

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

gogades
Champion
Location: Section DD, Southside Lower Deck, until they went up in a cloud of dust.

Re: GreyCupGarry

Post by gogades » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 am

Dave in Korea wrote:Since he was probably the friendliest 13thman ever, maybe the Grey Cup pub should be the Grey Cup Garry Pub from now on.
:whs: :whs: :whs:
"My greatest sadness is for a fan base that has been mistreated by this league. It is a fan base that is painted unfairly around this country because unless you've been there, you just don't know." - Eric Tillman, GC Week 2007

larz-7
Hall of Famer

Post by larz-7 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:24 am

totally at a loss he was like my big brother from afar, like for alot of us here , he always had you covered when you came to town .a truely sad sad day .
rest in peace my friend and may your pain finally be gone
humans are the only creatures on this planet that let their children back in after they leave home )B Cosby

ping
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by ping » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:23 am

Garry was a very good friend of mine. He often called me at work to talk and catch up. He was always buying cfl stuff for friends and family. Boy he gave a lot of cfl gear away for xmas. It would be this week that he would drive down to see me for his annual xmas shop. I loved that guy!!! I as everyone else will miss him so much. I last saw him in Montreal, he was happy and so in love with Ally. I first meet him on the train trip to Montreal many years ago we will always remember. I’m so sad it hurts . I don’t even know how old he was, but way way too young to die. What a shock. You know the guy never ever called me David, it was always Ping, ha, and he was a great cfl fan, a great farther and a great person to say the least. He was always helping out of town guests. He was generous, kind and caring. He always played down any negative stuff that may of been going on in argo land and never liked when I was talked about bad news but he never posted a negative comment on my threads. He was a great great person, I’m devastated.
Goodbye Garry, we should rename the pub after him, that was a great idea Dave.
Can someone please post the funeral arrangements?
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

BigRedMachine
Champion
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Post by BigRedMachine » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:23 am

Never met the man but I am deeply saddened by his passing. He was the one 13thman I was looking forward most to meeting for the GC in Calgary. I miss him already...
"It is people like GreyCupGarry who make the CFL our league, Canada’s league."

-- Jaime Stein, CFL.ca

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 am

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:21 am

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 am

I have spent many long hours wondering about what I can say about my wonderful friend Garry.

Then, it became clear. If you knew Garry, you probably heard him say 'Party!!!!'
on so many occasions. So, I thought I would share a few moments that we spent together.

Like most of you, I don't really know when I got to know him. Probably back at the tailgates 6 or 7 years ago.
It was like he had always been around you.

But I do remember the night we really got to know each other. It was one night in Ottawa, during the
2004 Grey Cup. I was making my way back to the hotel at about 2am, and there was Garry, smoking a stogie in
front of his hotel. So I stopped and we started chatting. About two hours later, we both knew eachother so much better.

Another thing you might have heard was about how Garry and Alex had their touchdown salute. Well, realizing we
cheered for different teams, we couldn't do that. We figured out that what did bond us was the CFL and Canada. So we decided to do the CFL salute after O Canada. So that was what we did for years, 5 sections and 1 level apart.

I also remember back at the Grey Cup '06 when Garry was being interviewed by CBC. Not to let
such a perfect opportunity to be wasted, Woody and I tied his shoelaces together. THe funny thing was
neither Garry nor the interviewer flinched at all. They both just carried on with the interview.
After though, Garry just gave us a 'what the f**k' and made us do up his shoes for him.

For many of you as well that are on argofans.com, you might remember an occasional poster who went by
the moniker of Mr Tiger Pants. Who do you think that was? Garry of course!

I also remember this last Grey Cup, starting with Garry yelling '5 hours on the train Toot toot' about a million
time and the wicked Party Bus to the game.

Lastly, if you are on 13thman.com, check out Garry's Hall of Fan profile. THe last two questions read as follows

Words you live by?
Never take life for granted. It's way too short to sweat the small stuff.

Additional Comments?
Stop in for a cold one. My door is always open. And as you can see - there's plenty-O-beer.

Cheers Garry! I will miss you, but never forget you.

borehamgirl
Rookie

Post by borehamgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:52 am

Thank you for posting the funeral arrangements, Randy. I truly wish I could be there. Please let me know of anything that may be planned in Garry's name during the off-season. I'd love to help out in any way I can.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:01 am

I just checked on Go Als Go his profile (CoupeGreyGarry), since he helped Section W with some of the original setup:

The avatar he used, was Pepé Le Pew with an Alouettes logo on the helmet....(Got to love his sense of humor)...

But check out his signature:

If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them.

I'm sure he really meant it.....keep a watchfull eye on all of us Garry !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

fishman
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by fishman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:02 am

I am shocked and saddened to hear the news of the passing of my friend that I'll now never get a chance to actually meet in person.

I once posted on here somewhere that if you couldn't get along with Garry, then that meant that you were a complete arsehole.

That wasn't a slam at anyone, it was a testament to Garry's nature of good-will, sportsmanship, and attitude. It was honestly impossible to find anything but warmth, friendliness, generosity, and humor in both his posts and accounts from those who knew him closer.

Godspeed Garry, you are already missed.
ONCE AN ESKIMO - ALWAYS AN ESKIMO! :edm:

"The Eskimos. Well? What can you say? They are CFL gods." - greycupgarry

shayman
Starter

Post by shayman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:33 am

ticatfan wrote:Funeral arrangements are here:

http://www.legacy.com/TheStar/Obituarie ... =121114224
Thanks for posting that. I noticed that the family is suggesting donations to CFL Fans Fight Cancer, which is of course a great idea. Could someone from CFFC chime in on what the best way to donate would be?
I helped pay for it, I'm calling it "Skydome."

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 am

Lets raise alot of money for his cause.
Maybe Zak can set up a donation address or I will get one from the funeral home.
He would be proud. He always walked around with that can at the tailgates.
it hurts eh guys!!!

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:05 am

borehamgirl wrote:Thank you for posting the funeral arrangements, Randy. I truly wish I could be there. Please let me know of anything that may be planned in Garry's name during the off-season. I'd love to help out in any way I can.

Me and Zak were thinking of a memorilal before the international bowl at the old tailgate l;ot.
It may be our last ever tailgate and might be fitting.

MulderS
Starter

Post by MulderS » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 am

I've been at a loss for words - I've only really got to know him over the past year. At tailgates, after the games, Pergoiefests, and at the Grey Cup. But he was always one I looked forward to saying hello to, One of my favorite memories was this year at one of the tailgates - After I had eaten my own food (Big Steak and baked Potatos i might add) He welcomed me to have some food, and joked how I would have no where to put it.

He was far to young to go.

OrangeShoes99
Superstar

Post by OrangeShoes99 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:45 am

I would like to propsose a button be made and sold in Garry's honour, and that we can get as many people wearing them throughout the season and at Grey Cup as possible next season.

Garry wouldn't have it any other way that the money from these buttons go to CFL Fans Fight Cancer.

I am willing to chip in funding for this venture. A simple white button with bold Argo blue lettering and the initials "GCG" would be great. That way we can all make sure he's with us for years to come at Grey Cup, and we raise some money for his favorite charity, one that he so willingly gave his time for.
All together for 3rdDown..."Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaa!"
CFL Fans Fight Cancer - See how you can help at http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com