Free Anti-Virus Software

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Confusion_Say
Superstar

Free Anti-Virus Software

Post by Confusion_Say » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:11 pm

I've been running Norton antivirus for a few years now keeping my subscription current. It was due up for renewal, and a couple of the guys at work told me to download the free version of AVG antivirus

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2

I loaded it up and ran it. It found three trojan horse viruses that got by Norton! It seems to have all the live update features etc that Norton has.
Canada works best when we say "Union Yes". Organize now-Ask me how!

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:15 pm

I use it on both my machines, it works fine and isn't the resource hog Norton is.

That new MS AntiSpyware app is free and it works OK too.

That along with the freebie version of ZoneAlarm and you have good, basic protection for nothing. :clap: :beauty:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:32 pm

I wouldn't recommend AVG, AntiVir ver. 6 is the way to go, and is super user friendly and easy on the resources.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm

AVG is my choice and the A/V solution that I recommend to clients.
AFAIK, AVG is consistantly rated #1 in threats detected and is always in the top three for using the minimum amount of system resources.

I haven't tried AntiVir but I'll give it a l :i: :i: k.

:beer:

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:16 pm

AVG is what I loaded the last time I rebuilt my computer...seems to be working great :beauty:

Confusion_Say
Superstar

Post by Confusion_Say » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:27 pm

One question...since I loaded it, the computer gets hung up on the "authorization" stage when I'm checking my email. Is there some setting I have to change? The only other thing I can think of is maybe the Shaw email server has been down for aprx 4 hours (unlikely).

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:07 pm

Confusion_Say wrote:One question...since I loaded it, the computer gets hung up on the "authorization" stage when I'm checking my email. Is there some setting I have to change? The only other thing I can think of is maybe the Shaw email server has been down for aprx 4 hours (unlikely).

That seems odd. For the heck of it, RIGHT click the AVG icon in your system tray and from the menu that appears choose "Quit AVG Control Center".
Now try and get your email... did it work? If you still cannot connect to the mail server, then you it would appear that AVG is not the cause.

Confusion_Say
Superstar

Post by Confusion_Say » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:14 pm

BBBob wrote:
Confusion_Say wrote:One question...since I loaded it, the computer gets hung up on the "authorization" stage when I'm checking my email. Is there some setting I have to change? The only other thing I can think of is maybe the Shaw email server has been down for aprx 4 hours (unlikely).

That seems odd. For the heck of it, RIGHT click the AVG icon in your system tray and from the menu that appears choose "Quit AVG Control Center".
Now try and get your email... did it work? If you still cannot connect to the mail server, then you it would appear that AVG is not the cause.

Same thing....even when I disable it, a small window rises above the system tray from AVG saying "AutoPOP3: Connecting to shawmail.cg.shawcable.net"
The receive light on the modem doesn't light up,-it's acting the same way as if the mail server was down.
:?:

hmm...how bizarre

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:30 pm

Confusion_Say wrote:
BBBob wrote:

Same thing....even when I disable it, a small window rises above the system tray from AVG saying "AutoPOP3: Connecting to shawmail.cg.shawcable.net"
The receive light on the modem doesn't light up,-it's acting the same way as if the mail server was down.
:?:

hmm...how bizarre

Some A/V software puts a proxy between your mail client and the server. Basically it receives the email, scans it, then forwards it to your inbox. Usually I think this should be set up automatically and be transparent to the user, but it would appear for some reason it is not configured correctly. Check the documentation on the A/V software, you may have to set your email to receive from your own computer, and from a different port, other than port 110 (for POP3 anyway).

Just out of curiousity, what email client are you using? Maybe the A/V software couldn't recognize it and set it up during the install.
Last edited by green ty on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 pm

Check out the FAQ, it seems to have some information regarding this.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/752#5463

More specifically this page seems to have information on setting up the email scanner.

http://www.grisoft.cz/us/us_ts_wizard.php

Terencius
Champion

Post by Terencius » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:16 pm

Thanks guys and gals. I was looking for free virus protection and this just hit the spot.

Confusion_Say
Superstar

Post by Confusion_Say » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:20 am

Since installing the AVG I disabled my norton antivirus. The AVG is working great for antivirus protection however it still is getting hung up in checking email.
When I went to the email account settings the incoming mail server is still set up as pop3.norton.antivirus. Should this be something else now that I don't have norton checking my email for viruses and want the AVG program to perform that task.
Any ideas what the settings should be for the incoming mail server???

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:22 am

Confusion_Say wrote:Since installing the AVG I disabled my norton antivirus. The AVG is working great for antivirus protection however it still is getting hung up in checking email.
When I went to the email account settings the incoming mail server is still set up as pop3.norton.antivirus. Should this be something else now that I don't have norton checking my email for viruses and want the AVG program to perform that task.

Yep, that is definately the problem.

Looking at the instructions, you have to first set up AVG with your current email servers. Since your email client is already set up to use Norton, you will have to get the servers from Norton or your email provider. Usually the server is pretty easy to figure out, (ie. Sasktel's servers are probably pop.sasktel.com and smtp.sasktel.com).

Then you have to set your email client. The incoming and outgoing server should be 127.0.0.1 (or localhost). In the example the use the ports 5110 for incoming and 5025 for outgoing, but those are configurable in AVG.

Also I urge you to check this out: http://www.grisoft.cz/us/us_ts_wizard.php. It has step-by-step directions with images. It can probably do a much better job of explaining than I can.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:28 pm

Confusion_Say wrote:Since installing the AVG I disabled my norton antivirus. The AVG is working great for antivirus protection however it still is getting hung up in checking email.

I would get rid of Norton entirely to avoid conflicts. You may have to go to the Symantic site to get the uninstaller for Norton AV if your add/remove programs applet in Control Panel won't do the job. (it won't for NAV 2003 Pro) Then as long as your don't have a firewall blocking your AVG or your mail app from accessing the Net you should be fine.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

fishman
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by fishman » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:33 pm

moved to the fix it shed..... :beauty:
ONCE AN ESKIMO - ALWAYS AN ESKIMO! :edm:

"The Eskimos. Well? What can you say? They are CFL gods." - greycupgarry