Free Anti-Virus Software

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Confusion_Say
Superstar

Post by Confusion_Say » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:03 pm

ArgoDave wrote:I would get rid of Norton entirely to avoid conflicts. You may have to go to the Symantic site to get the uninstaller for Norton AV if your add/remove programs applet in Control Panel won't do the job. (it won't for NAV 2003 Pro) Then as long as your don't have a firewall blocking your AVG or your mail app from accessing the Net you should be fine.

Taking your advice, I dumped Norton altogether. It was an old copy (2001) anyway. Looks like everything is working fine now :beauty: . The wife called Shaw today to find out the settings, and they mentioned that they have free antivirus and firewall software available as well. The only thing I'm going to miss about Norton is the defrag programme.

Thanks a lot guys for helping out a computer illiterate like myself :beer: :beer:
Canada works best when we say "Union Yes". Organize now-Ask me how!

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:10 pm

Norton has outgrown it's usefullness, anything they can do can be done by smaller, often free programs.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:29 pm

I've been using and installing AV software for a living for a few years now, and I have to agree with ArgoDave; Norton got fat and sassy, and outived its usefulness. Their update server was even infected by a trojan or two some months back. I ran 2002 until the server infected a brand new XP install, then dumped it for AVG. Norton 2003, 4 and 5, as well as Norton Internet Security are huge resource hogs, IMHO.

AVG, Spybot, and Ad-Aware are all you need. Possibly a second AV checker, as another program can sometimes remove a nasty trojan that the other can't, but the second AV checker does not need to be resident for that purpose.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:36 pm

I've heard Webroot SpySweeper is a good app, and so far I like the one Microsoft bought, the former Giant AntiSpyware. It actually found an old IMESH module I never knew about and deleted it. Something the latest AdAware, Spybot and PestPatrol all missed.

I like the way it monitors certain checkpoints for anything that tries to makes changes, like a browser hijacker would. And you can set it for automatic updates and scans, very convenient.

It's so good it figures MS couldn't write it so they had to go and buy it. :lol:

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Confusion_Say wrote:
Taking your advice, I dumped Norton altogether. It was an old copy (2001) anyway. Looks like everything is working fine now :beauty: . The wife called Shaw today to find out the settings, and they mentioned that they have free antivirus and firewall software available as well. The only thing I'm going to miss about Norton is the defrag programme.

Thanks a lot guys for helping out a computer illiterate like myself :beer: :beer:

Good idea, since Norton is famous for not supporting older versions of their software. When I heard they were not going to support NAV 2003 any longer that was it for me. I did notice too my comp got just a bit faster after I did.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:44 pm

Solar Max wrote:I've been using and installing AV software for a living for a few years now, and I have to agree with ArgoDave; Norton got fat and sassy, and outived its usefulness. Their update server was even infected by a trojan or two some months back. I ran 2002 until the server infected a brand new XP install, then dumped it for AVG. Norton 2003, 4 and 5, as well as Norton Internet Security are huge resource hogs, IMHO.

AVG, Spybot, and Ad-Aware are all you need. Possibly a second AV checker, as another program can sometimes remove a nasty trojan that the other can't, but the second AV checker does not need to be resident for that purpose.

:whs: :clap:

A good, fast, free online scan is another must use tool, I suggest the fine tool at http://www.trendmicro.com to detect and remove viri/ pests. There are other free online scans, however I find trendmicro is the best of the bunch. AVG online only allows a file at a time check IIRC, not a complete scan (last time that I checked). I use and recommend AVG (free).

Some viri/ pests can alter the anti-virus application on your PC yielding false results from scans - coming up clean but actually being infected, hence the value of an online scanner.

:beer:

HotBranch!
Champion

Post by HotBranch! » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 am

I run the free version of AVG and am very happy with it. I find that since they bumped the free version up to 7 (from 6), it's easier to use and automates more tasks.

I used to run McAffee, but the annual fee was crazy. They point you to their website, "for convenience", not pointing out that the online price is higher than what you will pay in a retail outlet (especially if you can get a rebate to boot). I have never had good experiences with Norton, so I've pretty much always avoided it.

One question: what is a good AV app to run in parallel with AVG? I believe you can never be too paranoid when it comes to viruses and trojans, which is why I run 3 anti-spyware apps. :o I tried running Avast AV, but it did not like sharing my PC with AVG, so I dumped it. I'd like to have two AV apps running that do not conflict. Since AVG is already installed, who can suggest a nice AV playmate? (that sounds wrong somehow...)
Given your proven record of mind-bogglingly destructive excess, we felt that giving you any more than that, would be like giving Michael Jackson a drum of peanut oil and some cub scouts. Alledgedly.
-- Cornfed to Duckman

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:58 pm

For security I run AVG7, Microsft AntiSpyware(Beta) and Webroot Spysweeper3. According to one newsletter I trust that was the programs they tested that found the most trash. Compared to them they said AdAware, PestPatrol and Spybot, all well known apps, were poor.

They also recommended the Trend Microsystems Security suite if you like it all-in-one.

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:26 pm

ArgoDave wrote:For security I run AVG7, Microsft AntiSpyware(Beta) and Webroot Spysweeper3.

For security I run Linux. :wink:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:41 pm

HotBranch! wrote:I run the free version of AVG and am very happy with it. I find that since they bumped the free version up to 7 (from 6), it's easier to use and automates more tasks.

I used to run McAffee, but the annual fee was crazy. They point you to their website, "for convenience", not pointing out that the online price is higher than what you will pay in a retail outlet (especially if you can get a rebate to boot). I have never had good experiences with Norton, so I've pretty much always avoided it.

One question: what is a good AV app to run in parallel with AVG? I believe you can never be too paranoid when it comes to viruses and trojans, which is why I run 3 anti-spyware apps. :o I tried running Avast AV, but it did not like sharing my PC with AVG, so I dumped it. I'd like to have two AV apps running that do not conflict. Since AVG is already installed, who can suggest a nice AV playmate? (that sounds wrong somehow...)

DO NOT USE MULTIPLE A/V APPS OR MULTIPLE SOFTWARE FIREWALLS!

For A/V:
BBBob in post above wrote:A good, fast, free online scan is another must use tool, I suggest the fine tool at http://www.trendmicro.com to detect and remove viri/ pests. There are other free online scans, however I find trendmicro is the best of the bunch. AVG online only allows a file at a time check IIRC, not a complete scan (last time that I checked). I use and recommend AVG (free).

Some viri/ pests can alter the anti-virus application on your PC yielding false results from scans - coming up clean but actually being infected, hence the value of an online scanner.

AVG in conjunction with a using a good online scanner on demand and a good spyware plan of action is a what I recommend.
BTW, I don't use the "Auto-Update" feature for ANY application - I'm kind of anal that way, wanting to maximize system resources plus I regularly manually update everything. FWIW, I don't use the XP System Restore feature either. System Restore and the Fast Indexing service eat up a lot of resources that can be used for more important tasks... such as gaming LOL, video capture/ editing, etc.

Be sure to use a good firewall. I like the free version of ZoneAlarm. DO NOT use the built-in XP Firewall AND another firewall (as a matter of fact, just DISABLE the XP firewall as it is weak). http://www.zonelabs.com

I too use 3 Spyware tools, AdAware, SpyBot and MS SpyWare Tool - BUT I do not have any of them running on "auto"(innoculate). They are set to only run "on demand" only 9I told ya I was anal about resources LOL).

f you intend upon using a spyware tool to start when Windows starts to "innoculate" your computer - USE ONLY 1 SPYWARE TOOL SET TO INNOCULATE!! I suggest if using the MS Spyware tool on innoculate, if any. My second choice would be Adaware. But do not have multiple s/w tools set to innoculate your computer.
To check/ Edit your spyware tool settings, open the too, and go into Options/ Settings.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:48 pm

green ty wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:For security I run AVG7, Microsft AntiSpyware(Beta) and Webroot Spysweeper3.

Because the vast majority of good games and other apps come out for PC Windows first, and for hardware compatibility I stick with XP. Linux is interesting, but which version do you pick?

I have yet to see a Linux game at Electronic Boutique.

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:03 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
green ty wrote:

Because the vast majority of good games and other apps come out for PC Windows first, and for hardware compatibility I stick with XP. Linux is interesting, but which version do you pick?

Yeah, games is definately one of the big things that holds Linux back. I don't play a lot of computer games, so I am not too worried about that. Plus I have WinXP on my system as well, so if I wish to play a game, I can boot into Windows.

As for hardware compatibility, Linux has vastly improved in that area recently. I did have some problems with my mouse, the forward/back buttons didn't work, but it was a pretty easy solution.

As for which distro to use, any of the major ones are pretty good nowadays. I personally am using Fedora Core 3 right now, and it has given me no problems as of yet.

I do understand that for most people Linux is not a viable option yet, but I like the fact that I don't have to install 3 different programs to control viruses and spyware.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:07 pm

green ty wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:
green ty wrote:

Yeah, games is definately one of the big things that holds Linux back. I don't play a lot of computer games, so I am not too worried about that. Plus I have WinXP on my system as well, so if I wish to play a game, I can boot into Windows.

As for hardware compatibility, Linux has vastly improved in that area recently. I did have some problems with my mouse, the forward/back buttons didn't work, but it was a pretty easy solution.

As for which distro to use, any of the major ones are pretty good nowadays. I personally am using Fedora Core 3 right now, and it has given me no problems as of yet.

I do understand that for most people Linux is not a viable option yet, but I like the fact that I don't have to install 3 different programs to control viruses and spyware.

*aside*
http://www.americasarmy.com
http://aaotracker.4players.de/downloaddb.php?cat=3
Linux/Windows/ Mac
Best free game ever.
hundreds of high speed free servers to play on.
stats tracking
Fun.

/aside

I just don't have the time to delve into Linux. Maybe one day! :D

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm

green ty wrote: I do understand that for most people Linux is not a viable option yet, but I like the fact that I don't have to install 3 different programs to control viruses and spyware.

Oh yeah it's great for that, Windows really can be a pain if you're on the Net any amount of time. You gotta wonder tho how long Linux will be safe, the geeks like it cause they can feel it's theirs...until perhaps it becomes too popular then some disgruntled hacker decides to write crap to attack any mainstream version of Linux because Linux is no longer just for geeks. :wink: Could that happen?

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:44 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
green ty wrote: I do understand that for most people Linux is not a viable option yet, but I like the fact that I don't have to install 3 different programs to control viruses and spyware.

Oh yeah it's great for that, Windows really can be a pain if you're on the Net any amount of time. You gotta wonder tho how long Linux will be safe, the geeks like it cause they can feel it's theirs...until perhaps it becomes too popular then some disgruntled hacker decides to write crap to attack any mainstream version of Linux because Linux is no longer just for geeks. :wink: Could that happen?

I'm working on one right now! :wink: That is a valid point though, even when security flaws are uncovered there is no reason to write a virus for Linux right now. Reason being that it commands such a low market share, and the purpose of a virus is to infect as many computers as possible. Not until the market share grows substaintially will virii be a threat to Linux, and I cannot see that happening for at least 5+ years.