Free Anti-Virus Software

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Arcanas
Rookie

Post by Arcanas » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:45 am

I think one tool that shouldn't be left out of an Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware list is Windows Startup Inspector. It gives you a list of EVERYTHING that is starting in Windows (I know, easy enough to look up in the registry, but I'm lazy) and what they do, for the most part. It's great for getting a really badly infected system cleaned up enough for it's initial Malware scan.
http://CanadianRules.ca - No Fair Catch

mr.deeds
Starter

Post by mr.deeds » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:27 pm

I run Defender Pro AntiVirus (based on Kaspersky) and Firewall as well as Spyware Blaster and Spybot. No complaints of viruses in over a year and the antispyware tools have been great since I have been using the last 4 months, :D

Gotta say though that Defender Pro is a resource hog. It would take a couple of hours (at least) to do a full scan on my HDs.
GO STAMPS GO!!!

Favorite All-Time Players:
#20 Doug "Magic" Flutie
#25 Dave "Sponge" Sapunjis
#35 Dan "The Scud" Wicklum

Talk Poker at Edmonton Poker Player Online

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:22 am

ArgoDave wrote:
green ty wrote: I do understand that for most people Linux is not a viable option yet, but I like the fact that I don't have to install 3 different programs to control viruses and spyware.

Oh yeah it's great for that, Windows really can be a pain if you're on the Net any amount of time. You gotta wonder tho how long Linux will be safe, the geeks like it cause they can feel it's theirs...until perhaps it becomes too popular then some disgruntled hacker decides to write crap to attack any mainstream version of Linux because Linux is no longer just for geeks. :wink: Could that happen?

The reason why there aren't many worms, viruses, trojans and other various malware/spyware is that it's notoriously hard to write those things for the Linux/UNIX/Mac (which runs on BSD) platforms. It has nothing to do with marketshare or how many computers are out there.

UNIX has had over 30 years of testing and what not to make it secure and since both Linux and Mac OS X are based off of it that's a helluva pedigree. I can't speak for Linux but with OS X *nothing* gets installed on your computer without you knowing about it. If it needs to be on the system level (which is where 99% of the Windows exploits go) it asks for a password. There is absolutely no way it can install itself on the root level. Ever. Unless you're running as a sudo user or root (which is incredibly stupid on any platform) it can only install itself, if it could, on the current user side (OS X supports multiple accounts on the same computer). So let's say hypothetically my side gets a worm; this would only affect my software and such, not anyone else's or the root/sudo level.

AFAIK it's pretty much the same on Linux/UNIX.

I'm sure many people have tried to write viruses and worms and trojans for these three platforms (especially since Apache, which runs on Linux, runs probably at least 60% of the world's servers) but if it's incredibly difficult to do so, why bother? I'd go after the target that's easy to exploit:

Windows.

A guy at work the other day installed a bunch of software to get rid of all the malware and such he had on his computer, I think he had 65 different "programs" running here and there. This is only after a few months of use.

I have zip. Linux users can probably say the same thing.

Plus there are plenty of games ported over to Mac and Linux (Mac has Doom 3, WoW, etc) and PLENTY of software for both platforms. The "There's no programs for Mac!" argument is such a myth that it's not even funny anymore. I think there's less programs because there aren't 80 million different versions of solitaire.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:28 pm

Thanx for the info Bushido. When the newest games and stuff all come out on Linux the same day or so as Windows, and when Linux is as simple to use, I may just switch. Needing so much security for Windows, and the resource drain it represents, is annoying at times.

65 apps? Too much. I run ZoneAlarm, AVG 7, and AntiSpyware from MS, with a weekly checkup from Registry Mechanic. And my system is clean. A trial run of TrojanHunter found nothing too.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by tigger » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:31 pm

For all you Cogeco Subscribers...... Word of ***WARNING***

DO NOT USE THERE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM

THAT ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM SUCKS..... Even worse Than >>> THE ARGOSSSSS.....:argo:<<<and thats bad. :thdn:

I signed up, deleted Norton, Zone Alarm, and used there peace of Crap.

They said they could STOP anything.. :roll:

Yah!!!!! Right, except for the 84 Viruses, I GOT........[/b]

:bad: DON'T GO THERE :bad:
Last edited by tigger on Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:45 pm

tigger wrote:For all you Cogeco Subscribers...... Word of ***WARNING***

DO NOT USE THERE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM

THAT ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM SUCKS..... Even worse Than >>> THE ARGOSSSSS.....:argo:<<<and thats bad. :thdn:

I signed up, deleted Norton, Zone Alarm, and used there peace of Crap.

They said they could STOP anything.. :roll:

Yah!!!!! Right, except for the 84 Viruses, I GOT........[/b]

:bad: DON'T GO THERE :bad:

Only in Hamilton..... :bad: :roll:

Never trust your security to someone else. Like trusting a dog to guard your dinner.

BTW, love the way you spell 'worse'. :beauty:

:? :? :?

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:03 am

ArgoDave wrote:Thanx for the info Bushido. When the newest games and stuff all come out on Linux the same day or so as Windows, and when Linux is as simple to use, I may just switch. Needing so much security for Windows, and the resource drain it represents, is annoying at times.

65 apps? Too much. I run ZoneAlarm, AVG 7, and AntiSpyware from MS, with a weekly checkup from Registry Mechanic. And my system is clean. A trial run of TrojanHunter found nothing too.

That's the thing, he should have been running those programs in the first place. Fortunately there are a few users like yourself and BBBob, for example, who are serious about security. Too bad Windows isn't. :bad:

My Q is, does this have much of an adverse affect on your system performance? Or are they fairly lean programs to run in the background?

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:20 pm

Bushido wrote: That's the thing, he should have been running those programs in the first place. Fortunately there are a few users like yourself and BBBob, for example, who are serious about security. Too bad Windows isn't. :bad:

My Q is, does this have much of an adverse affect on your system performance? Or are they fairly lean programs to run in the background?

ZoneAlarm and MS AntiSpyware don't seem to slow anything down much, they run quietly in the background. As for AVG I only run parts of it, what is most essential, rather than load the full suite. But others have wrote it is far less a resource hog than Norton which can noticbly slow down even a fast machine. Which is why I switched. When I run a resource intensive game like AA:O I check my Frames Per Second with all the apps on then off and the impact is negligible. A bad server will slow me down more than my apps.

But I also run a GB of PC 300DDR RAM and another GB swapfile on my secondary drive, and I have a 256 MB DDR RAM on my vid card too, so Windows has lots of RAM to play with. It allows me even with a P4 2GB chip to play the latest games on high res.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Fri May 13, 2005 5:36 am

ArgoDave wrote:
Confusion_Say wrote:
Taking your advice, I dumped Norton altogether. It was an old copy (2001) anyway. Looks like everything is working fine now :beauty: . The wife called Shaw today to find out the settings, and they mentioned that they have free antivirus and firewall software available as well. The only thing I'm going to miss about Norton is the defrag programme.

Thanks a lot guys for helping out a computer illiterate like myself :beer: :beer:

Good idea, since Norton is famous for not supporting older versions of their software. When I heard they were not going to support NAV 2003 any longer that was it for me. I did notice too my comp got just a bit faster after I did.

Hmmm strange i have customer still using NAV 2000, i think it means the app side, but not the Virus def side.
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Fri May 13, 2005 6:19 am

SectionW wrote: Hmmm strange i have customer still using NAV 2000, i think it means the app side, but not the Virus def side.

They did something to it as well, NAV 2003. Auto-Protect started interfering with my DVD burner, it wouldn't read disc keys on DVD-R's when it was enabled. It was some kind of major update they did since it even fixed the Live Update that wasn't working and after that it got meddlesome and seemed to take long time to load, etc. That was it for me. AVG is fine. It does what's it's supposed to do without decreasing the FPS I get in games.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Fri May 13, 2005 7:24 am

I also understand that Norton wil not be providing updates to NAV 2002 and before, very shortly. Not a good way to keep a customer base.

AVG is great . Much less of a resource hog, much more transparent.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Boe
All Star

Post by Boe » Fri May 13, 2005 8:59 am

Agreed, AVG is most excellent. I've had it for a few months now and it's worked out great for me. I definatly recommend it.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Is AVG still great in 2007?
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:24 am

Ron wrote:Is AVG still great in 2007?
yup.

:beer:

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:44 am

Just released a new major upgrade for it. Seems as good as ever.

The other major free alternative out there if you are looking is Avast. I runs with a bit more overhead but has a few extra features like a file version database which can sometimes be a help in recovering earlier versions of a file.
Lest We Forget!