Free Anti-Virus Software

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:11 am

I like Avast, it runs quietly in the background and does it's job with little input from me. I especially like the way it scans P2P downloads as they come in, caught a couple of worms that way.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

55yards
Playground Hero

Post by 55yards » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:52 am

Is there any reason why one shouldn't run two antivirus software programs at the same time? Is this safe to do?

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:26 pm

Running 2 AV software can become tricky for your OS.

They could conflict with each other...remember by definition AV software is re-active, it protects vs. what it knows about !

And most of the AV software protects vs the same issues/vulnerabilities....

AV doesn't protect vs "user's" ignorance who are "click happy" ! ;)

I would not recommend using 2 AV software, just "educate" people at home/work using a PC to be cautious...even if a document looks "legit" !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:01 pm

Agreed!
When I first upgraded to XP I installed AVG and used it along with Windows antivirus. My email would not connect. If I uninstalled either there was no problem. If I went back to both, the email would not work again. I'm sure there were other things that did not work properly as well but I didn't give it time to find out.

55yards
Playground Hero

Post by 55yards » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:40 pm

I'm running AVG now.So, I should uninstall Norton Anti Virus?

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:54 pm

55yards wrote:I'm running AVG now.So, I should uninstall Norton Anti Virus?
Yes. You're in for possible problems later if you don't.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:55 pm

I'll disagree with Solar MAx here (d?sol? SM;))

If it's running fine right now, leave it like it is....if you experience major slowdowns/issues...it could help to un-install it....biut un-installing it could cause other problems !

I had "issues" with un-installing Norton Suite (AV/firewall/ect...).

And i'll never be caught installing that "crap" !

Remember, always have your AV "signature" file & all Microsoft critical patches installed on your pc...this will "prevent" your pc being subject to vulnerabilities !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:04 pm

Prevaling wisdom is that two AV programs is not generally a good idea. They can conflict with each other especially at times when both may be trying to scan the same file. The competition can cause freeze ups, crashes and slow ups. Norton tends to place a lot overhead on a computer as well so removing it is probably a good idea in the long run if you have another viable alternative like Avast or AVG. In addition to an AV program, use of a good router provides simple, effective protection against instrusions from the outside and places little overhead on the resources of your computer. After that, all you really need is some judicsious computer smarts around what you install. IE. shareware, file shareing software and those attachments in emails that say "This is really neat, click here". You can also help your cause out by running your computer on an account that doesn't have "install rights" otherwise known as a limited account. This can help provide some insurance against the "accidental" installation of something you didn't want. Last but not least, assuming you are on XP, make use of the System Restore feature. Create a restore point before you install software and then if it goes wrong, restore to a point before the action was taken.

And like XGamer says, always use Windows Update to make sure you have the lastest patches and packs. Shooting offspring although not recommended often seems to help as well :wink: Not sure why :devil:
Lest We Forget!

Gerry
Champion

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:06 pm

I've bought two new laptops within the last year and the first thing I did is delete the free trial version of Norton that came packaged with them and then I went and got AVG right away.
I had no problems getting rid of Norton.