Supercharger

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

crburrows
Starter

Supercharger

Post by crburrows » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:56 am

My Mazda Protege is now 10 years old (1997), and has only 88,000 km's on it, and so I'm thinking I'll prolly keep it a while.

That said, I'm also thinking of having a little fun.

The engine puts out at 92HP, so its acceleration (especially in 1st gear) feels a little sluggish (it's actually not too bad once I get it into 2nd).

So I'm thinking of installing a supercharger. I've seen some that draw power from the alternator, rather than the belts, which claim to increase output by 25HP.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Does the alternator supercharger work as claimed? Are there any things I should be doing to my car before installation (I'm planning to get new tires and make sure that all fluids are up to snuff - anything else?) Will my engine explode and send a piston rod through my hood? Am I being an idiot?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 am

With your car I would go for a Turbo Charger, they run off your exhaust system and only would require minimal cost for install..an engine is big air compressor
thats all it is..more air you put through the more power you have..what your really after is tourque..you want that power to the wheels.
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

mr.deeds
Starter

Post by mr.deeds » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Turbo chargers may have lag, unlike a supercharger as the air commonly needs to spool before it is forced into the turbines. I would cost it out and then see.

So cheaper HP upgrades would be a cold air intake with K&N filter, underdrive pulley, and open up the exhaust.
GO STAMPS GO!!!

Favorite All-Time Players:
#20 Doug "Magic" Flutie
#25 Dave "Sponge" Sapunjis
#35 Dan "The Scud" Wicklum

Talk Poker at Edmonton Poker Player Online

Soundy
Playground Hero

Post by Soundy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Yeah, supercharger may not be the best option in this case, as they do "steal" a fair bit of the engine's torque to get spun up in the first place. A turbo won't "rob" any engine power, but there can be a bit of lag when they first spool up. Instead, I'd start with other upgrades, such as stronger fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, more efficient air intake, possibly larger injectors...

Be careful with the high-flow filters such as K&N; they allow more airflow, but they also allow more dirt to pass, which can shorten engine life if you live in a dusty area. Also, most CAI designs are prone to sucking up water in really wet conditions. This is not to say they're crap, just saying, be aware of the potential drawbacks when you make your decision.

A larger exhaust likely won't help much at this point, other than to draw attention to yourself.

Actually, a really good site to ask about this stuff is REVscene, at http://www.revscene.net - specifically aimed at the performance import market.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Re: Supercharger

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 am

I'd go with the turbo on that car, and it really not that expensive or hard to install..they may lag a little but once they spool up ..once you super charge a car you need a solid bottom end in that baby ..I run a Cobra with a Eaton
8 psi of boost ..thats just enough for me
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..