POS Printers - Arrrgh

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

POS Printers - Arrrgh

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:08 am

So, this is getting pretty rarified but maybe someone out there has some ideas.

I have a database that outputs a printout to an Epson Receipt printer. Works fine if I am connected directly to the network that hosts the database. I now however need to connect to this database through Terminal Services. The printer driver however is not one that is re-direct able through terminal services. I am thinking that I might be able to use the generic text driver instead but I was wondering if anybody had had any similar kind of problem printing from Terminal Services and how they solved it.
Lest We Forget!

tiggmtl
Rookie

Post by tiggmtl » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:18 am

I'm by no means an expert on either printer drivers or terminal services, but my (limited) understanding is that when you connect to TS if you have the import local printers checkbox selected in your properties, the server will check to see whether it has a copy of the same driver, and if it does then it will import the default printer and it would be set as your default for the TS session. So if you can print to your receipt printer just fine using a generic driver, you should be able to set it up that way and have the server pick it up.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 am

You got the grasp of it pretty good. Problem is the generic driver doesn't quite cut it as it leaves out characters on the receipt. The native printer driver doesn't seem to be available for TS so I am a bit hooped that way as well. Stupid Epson. These printers are everywhere and yet their drivers are CR@|*.

Thanks for the reflection tiggmtl. Sometimes it is helpful to see others view of the situation.
Lest We Forget!

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:34 am

Thought this thread was going to be about Casey ... never mind ... carry on.
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

tiggmtl
Rookie

Post by tiggmtl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:35 am

You could try experimenting with some other drivers - perhaps there is a more "generic" version of a driver from Epson that will work with this printer that is also available in TS? Perhaps a google search for alternative or equivalent drivers and your model number would turn something up - or maybe you could convince the TS admin to download and install the appropriate driver for your printer...

freelance
Playground Scrub

POS Printer Drivers

Post by freelance » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Have you tried the latest Epson TM series drivers 3.0.3?

http://www.epson-pos.com - You'll need to register for free but you get access to all the drivers, service docs, manuals, etc.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:41 am

Yeah, I tried using the generic driver, I talked to Epson, they were no help but I think I have ended up with a solution.

I had to redo my Terminal Server in 32bit edition. Didn't want to do it but in the end, I had no choice. Now it appears that I can load the appropriate Epson driver but it still doesn't map quite properly. My solution is to install the driver and assign it to printer server port on the TS side Assign a fixed IP to the printer server that will sit on the client side. Hopefully that will solve my problems. Is it Football Season soon???? Please Pretty Please.
Lest We Forget!

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:59 am

I don't want to derail this thread, but I do want to make people laugh:

SAMIR: Oh no! Not again! Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?! I, I swear to God, one of these days, I, I, I just kick this piece of sh*t out the window!

MICHAEL: You and me both, man. The thing is lucky I'm not armed.

Samir grabs the paper out, tearing off the bottom part of it.

SAMIR: Piece of sh*t.