XP to Vista Question

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

XP to Vista Question

Post by D » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:11 pm

How do I move my Outlook emails from an XP computer to a new computer with Vista .... anybody?
I own The Grey Cup! .com

OrangeShoes99
Superstar

Post by OrangeShoes99 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 pm

I would say you export the e-mail to a .pst file and then you should be able to import them. Should being the keyword here, as I have no idea about Vista.
All together for 3rdDown..."Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaa!"
CFL Fans Fight Cancer - See how you can help at http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 am

That about sums it up D.

If you aren't connected to exchange, then you are already using a PST file unless by some wild stretch you are using MSmail or some other antique mail storage format (unlikely).

If you aren't sure of the location. (Outlook 2003)

Make sure you have the navigation pane enabled (under view)

Right click on the mail folder (probably called Outlook Today), and then click properties.

Click on "advanced" and it will show you the path to your PST file. If you are going from an older version of Outlook, to a new version, you may get some issues where Outlook may ask you to convert the PST file to the new format. Shouldn't be a problem unless at sometime you might think you have to go back to an earlier version of Outlook.
Lest We Forget!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Vista... whoa... hope that you have a lot of horsepower in that PC and a decent 3d video card that can render Vista's pretty graphics D!

I was supposed to get a free copy of Vista with the PC that I built at Christmas - I tried umpteen times to use the online form to do this but it just didn't work. Of course my opportunity to get my free Vista ran out march 31 - WAY TO GO MICROSOFT YOU MORONS - can't even setup a functioning website - bozos. :x :x :x

/rant

Canuck_4_Life
All Star

Re: XP to Vista Question

Post by Canuck_4_Life » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:29 pm

D wrote:How do I move my Outlook emails from an XP computer to a new computer with Vista .... anybody?
What version of XP to what version of Vista.

The Upgrade Matrix tells you how much additional work you have to do. Green=less work, yellow=headache heaven.[/url]

Like I said over at Lionbackers, it is system intensive, however, if youv'e got the rig to do it, go for it.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:42 pm

meh .... I did it the easy way and emailed it to myself :wink:

I have Vista Premium on a new laptop ....
Acer Aspire AS5610-4534 15.4" Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73GHz Laptop
The Acer Aspire 5610 combines dual core power with innovative multimedia features to provide an incredibly versatile portable PC solution. From working on the commute home to downloading images from your digital camera, the 5610 will fulfill all your needs.

Product Features
Built for Vista
This PC has been built with the next generation of interactivity in mind. Featuring the hardware required to run the powerful and beautiful Windows Vista, this PC is ready for awesome online media experience, fun home creativity projects and powerful business applications. From Windows Live to Live Anywhere to Windows Media Center and beyond - Windows Vista provides a great view of the future.