DVD recording, HELP!

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Bushido
Champion

DVD recording, HELP!

Post by Bushido » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:35 am

Yesterday I bought a Magnavox DVD recorder to replace my crappy VCR. The pic quality is okay (limited by the inputs you're allowed from the satellite) but at least the discs take up less room than tapes, plus I can name my own titles and such.

Anyways I'm using DVD-R's because they're mega cheap (picked up a 100 pack of Memorex for $25 at Wal-Mart). I know you cannot record over a block once it's on a disc, it's a DVD-R after all.

My question, and it's important: can I take this disc out, put it in a few hours later, and record to it?

For example, this morning I set the timer to record Ring of Honor in EP mode (this allows around 4 hours of recording on a disc). It took about half of the disc to record it, which is about right. So could I later tonight record Pro Wrestling NOAH on another disc, put the ROH disc in for recording tomorrow and have it record THAT show on the original disc? I haven't "finalized" anything on the disc yet. And I guess I'm asking if in a week from now (next Wednesday) if I could record NOAH onto the NOAH DVD?

I know this is complicated but I'm hoping someone can help me out, and I hope that I can use the discs as if they were tapes, even if I can't record over a previous segment.

Shi Zi Mi
Superstar
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Shi Zi Mi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 pm

The way I understand DVD-R and DVD+R, only DVD+R is appendable........at least that's the way they work in data mode.
Lloyd

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Update: I bit the bullet and took a chance (ie, took out my ROH disc). I took 2 discs as test discs, recorded about a min worth of whatever on one, took it out, put in another, did the same, put the first test disc back in and it was able to record. I even had the power off on the recorder between sessions.

So I guess I answered my own question, sorta.

DVD burning is still something I have little knowledge about. As to the ins/outs of how this works (appending, not appending, finalizing) I have zero clue. I guess as long as it works I shouldn't complain. Suppose I'll find out tomorrow when I go to record that program.

Regardless it's much nicer having the DVD recorder to do basic recording than a VCR.

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:41 pm

You beat me to the answer!
Yes you can however!

You have to finalize the disc before you can play it on a regular player and once you do that you can no-longer record to it.

Keep your eyes open for sales on DVD-RWS. often they go for a much better price and when you think of it, even if you were to have payed say 25$ for only 25 discs. they in theory will last you forever.

If you do switch to -RWs I suggest you use the best recording quality possible. There is a big difference in quality.

There a a couple of differences between using a DVD and VCR.
With a VCR if you want to record a 1 hour show you can set it on record an come back say 90 minutes later and rewind the tape to the end of that show and start recording a new show from that point...... With a DVD, even with RWs you cannot do that. You must start the second show from the point that the first show ended so in effect you lost 30 minutes.

The other cool thing you can do with a DVD(at least with my Sony. Check your manual) If you set your VCR to record something at say 8 because you expect to not be home and you get home at 8:30. You must wait for the entire show to finish before you watch the program. With my Sony set in VR recording mode, you can actually watch watch the beginning of the DVD while it continues to record the balance of the program. Again I am not sure if they all do this so check your manual.

Other than that there is not difference between a VRC and DVD.