Chipset fan problem.

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

LFITQ
Champion

Chipset fan problem.

Post by LFITQ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:05 pm

The chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI DLX motherboard has gone up to the great fan heaven in the sky.

I've been told this happens quite regularly with these fans on this board. Asus will only send you the same fan again and eventually it will die too.

So does anyone have any ideas as to what other fans or heatsinks I can get that will fit in the spot? I have heard that a Zalman ZM-NB4J7 Northbridge fanless cooler will do the trick nicely. Anyone have any experience?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" - Sgt Oddball

I send vbeers to asshats hoping they will mellow out

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:57 pm

Can't go wrong with a Zalman. Any good quality fan would also work pal (see the caveat below).

Fyi, outfits such as Dell do goofy things with fans, they wire them so an aftermarket fan will work, but you have to press F1 on boot to escape the dreaded "Previous Fan Failure" screen. Annoying.

phpbb_ LFITQ!

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:08 pm

Another option might be to attach a top notch aftermarket heatsink and then increase the case cooling. That way you can avoid the little chip fan altogether.
Lest We Forget!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:52 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:Another option might be to attach a top notch aftermarket heatsink and then increase the case cooling. That way you can avoid the little chip fan altogether.
[totally offtopic]
I love my Cooler Master Centurion 5 case, runs super cool. I installed an Antec 550 watt power supply in this case,fyi.
Highest temp that I've seen is 57 degrees (pushing it hard with 3D rendering).
[/totally offtopic]

This thread highjack brought to you by the letters BBB! :wink:

phpbb_!

PS: Hope to see 'ya in Hogtown in November LFITQ, missed you last Grey Cup. :(

LFITQ
Champion

Post by LFITQ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Amazingly enough I found the person who actually put my comp together. She gave me the idea to just take the heatsink portion of the northbridge cooler and just attach a small 40mm fan to it and use that. She figures that might actually work better to keep it even cooler.

That having been said, I see BBBob you were talking about temps in the 57 degree range. I was panicking when mine reached a temp of 45 degrees!! I'd tell you the name of my tower, but I can't seem to find the brand name or the model anywhere on the case! Hard to believe. All I know it is quite tall, has room for 5 HDD as well as 5 5.25" optical drive bays and 2 3.5" drive bays. Besides the fan connected to the power supply it has 2 fans in the front, 2 in the back, one on top and one on the clear "glass" side panel.

But now comes the tricky part.

When I took the old cooler off, I had to break the 2 plastic pins that held it on to the mobo. It is an Asus A8N-SLI DLX, anyone know if I can use regular screws (worried about heat transfer directly to the mobo then from the heatsink) or do you have any other ideas to connect it to the mobo? Really small zapstraps??

Edit: Zapstraps won't work as there is nothing to "loop" it to on an AMD board. An Intel board might work but not on my AMD board that only has two holes on opposite corners of the chip.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" - Sgt Oddball

I send vbeers to asshats hoping they will mellow out