Cheap MP3 Players

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Cheap MP3 Players

Post by greengirl88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:23 pm

I'm looking for an MP3 player for my upcoming 4-week long trip to Australia, but as I'm spending a lot of money on this trip, I don't have a lot left to spend on an MP3 player. Basically, I'm looking for something cheap, but that will last me for the 4 weeks at least. For instance, A&B sound is selling an Apacer for $29.99. That's a great price... but I've never really heard of the brand, and so I don't know what to expect. Any suggestions on a cheap but relatively reliable brand?
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

LFITQ
Champion
Posts: 3341
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:53 am
Location: In the "Q" ..... for tickets
Contact:

Post by LFITQ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:54 pm

My sister-in-law bought a SanDisk Sansa a while back and she just loves it. Nice and small so she can take it with her when she walks and goes to the gym.

I see Futureshop.ca has a 2GB version on sale. It is a little more than the price you mentioned (69.99 right now, normally 99.99), but you didn't mention the size to be truly comparable. There is a 512 version of the Sandisk Sansa and that is online at FS at $49.99.

I had one stupid little RCA one and wouldn't recommend it at all. It was a piece of junk. Paid about $30 for it so I'd just becareful with the cheaper price. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" - Sgt Oddball

I send vbeers to asshats hoping they will mellow out

User avatar
shayman
Starter
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:56 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Argos Band
Contact:

Post by shayman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm a little biased, as I work for, uh, a major manufacturer of these things - ok, Apple - but let me suggest that you consider the entire package, not just the player. You want something with software that makes it easy to get your MP3s onto the music player - whether they're coming from CD you already own, or from online purchases, or, uh, MP3 files you have obtained by whatever means wherever.

Look beyond just the player itself. You want some good software on the computer to simplify ripping and buying and organizing and downloading music too, and personally I am totally addicted to podcasts these days so if that's something you like - and you should, there are thousands of them, something for everybody - think about how you're going to manage those.

If it's hard to get the music you want onto the player, you're not going to enjoy the experience and you'll wind up just leaving the MP3 player in a drawer rather than taking it with you everywhere.

I'm trying hard not to mention a specific product here in the interests of objectivity :-)
I helped pay for it, I'm calling it "Skydome."

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Post by greengirl88 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:32 pm

I already have all of the music I want, I have an excellent program for ripping songs from my CDs, and as long as I can get it on there once, that's all I really need. Also, I would prefer something that uses a battery, rather than needing to be recharged, as I'll be spending my first two weeks in Australia volunteering on a nature reserve, and hence won't have access to a computer to recharge anything, and I don't want anything that has a plug-in recharger, since the sockets in Australia are different, and even with a converter there's a chance of blowing it due to voltage differences - I've been warned of this by many people. I don't need podcasts or any such thing, because I'm not planning on changing the music while I'm in Australia, which is all that I need this for. If it works afterward, all the better, but I don't have a lot of money, and I just want music for long bus and plane rides, and for listening to at night or whatever.

So, in short... what I need is something that will last for four weeks, is cheap, and preferably runs off of a battery (eg a single AAA... I know they exist). I don't know if all of these features come together... but that's what I'm on the lookout for. I found a Creative for $49.99, that looks decent and takes a AAA battery, any thoughts on the worth of Creative?
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

User avatar
shayman
Starter
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:56 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Argos Band
Contact:

Post by shayman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Well, I don't have much experience with the extreme low end AAA-powered ones but let me suggest one thing: if you can afford it, throw away the earbud headphones that come with it, and buy a better pair of earbud headphones.

You're getting extremely cheap headphones with many of these things, and you'll enjoy your music more by stepping up to something a little better. (Especially on the plane where it's pretty noisy to begin with.)

Futureshop has some $25 earbud headphones on their web site that are probably way better than the $2 headphones that come with the cheap players.

Of course you can spend a fortune on headphones, way more than the value of the player itself. Personal taste really factors in here (I like the Etymotic ER6i but they were pretty pricey); you'll get 100 different opinions from 100 different people. If the store lets you try the headphones, that'd be best.

(And then buy the little $2 adaptor that lets you use your own headphones with the weird two-prong thing that many airlines still use.)

have a great trip,
steve
I helped pay for it, I'm calling it "Skydome."

User avatar
D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9550
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:19 am
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions
Location: Van
Contact:

Post by D » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:23 pm

what's cheap? ... XS Cargo has a 1gb RCA for $9.99 and a 2gb RCA for 69.99 .... I have the 6gb version ($129.99) and have had no probs

XS Cargo MP3's
I own The Grey Cup! .com

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Post by greengirl88 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 pm

I didn't think to look at XS Cargo (even though it's where I got my portable CD player several years ago), thanks!! Looks good... (although I don't think you meant $9.99... I think you missed a number :wink: )
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

BBBob
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:17 am

Post by BBBob » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:28 pm

greengirl88 wrote:I already have all of the music I want, I have an excellent program for ripping songs from my CDs, and as long as I can get it on there once, that's all I really need. Also, I would prefer something that uses a battery, rather than needing to be recharged, as I'll be spending my first two weeks in Australia volunteering on a nature reserve, and hence won't have access to a computer to recharge anything, and I don't want anything that has a plug-in recharger, since the sockets in Australia are different, and even with a converter there's a chance of blowing it due to voltage differences - I've been warned of this by many people. I don't need podcasts or any such thing, because I'm not planning on changing the music while I'm in Australia, which is all that I need this for. If it works afterward, all the better, but I don't have a lot of money, and I just want music for long bus and plane rides, and for listening to at night or whatever.

So, in short... what I need is something that will last for four weeks, is cheap, and preferably runs off of a battery (eg a single AAA... I know they exist). I don't know if all of these features come together... but that's what I'm on the lookout for. I found a Creative for $49.99, that looks decent and takes a AAA battery, any thoughts on the worth of Creative?
Maybe a portable solar charger would be just the ticket?
canadian tire - $24.99

BBBob
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:17 am

Post by BBBob » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 pm

D wrote:what's cheap? ... XS Cargo has a 1gb RCA for $9.99 and a 2gb RCA for 69.99 .... I have the 6gb version ($129.99) and have had no probs

XS Cargo MP3's
I want the shower CD/ radio!! :o

User avatar
D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9550
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:19 am
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions
Location: Van
Contact:

Post by D » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:15 am

BBBob wrote:
D wrote:what's cheap? ... XS Cargo has a 1gb RCA for $9.99 and a 2gb RCA for 69.99 .... I have the 6gb version ($129.99) and have had no probs

XS Cargo MP3's
I want the shower CD/ radio!! :o
good idea.... might drown you out :tease:
I own The Grey Cup! .com

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Post by greengirl88 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:23 am

BBBob wrote:
greengirl88 wrote:I already have all of the music I want, I have an excellent program for ripping songs from my CDs, and as long as I can get it on there once, that's all I really need. Also, I would prefer something that uses a battery, rather than needing to be recharged, as I'll be spending my first two weeks in Australia volunteering on a nature reserve, and hence won't have access to a computer to recharge anything, and I don't want anything that has a plug-in recharger, since the sockets in Australia are different, and even with a converter there's a chance of blowing it due to voltage differences - I've been warned of this by many people. I don't need podcasts or any such thing, because I'm not planning on changing the music while I'm in Australia, which is all that I need this for. If it works afterward, all the better, but I don't have a lot of money, and I just want music for long bus and plane rides, and for listening to at night or whatever.

So, in short... what I need is something that will last for four weeks, is cheap, and preferably runs off of a battery (eg a single AAA... I know they exist). I don't know if all of these features come together... but that's what I'm on the lookout for. I found a Creative for $49.99, that looks decent and takes a AAA battery, any thoughts on the worth of Creative?
Maybe a portable solar charger would be just the ticket?
canadian tire - $24.99
I like it! I might consider it.... but I'm also backpacking it, so size and weight could be an issue. But I definitely appreciate the suggestion, it's the best solution I've heard yet to the voltage difference/inaccessibility problems I'm anticipating... Thanks :beer:
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

User avatar
Hugoagogo
Starter
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:33 pm
Location: On the 50, kicking the game winner!

Post by Hugoagogo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:14 am

SANDISK
I own a couple of them - easy to use (no software needed, just drag & drop), lots of features, and great for travelling since they run on a single AAA which you can get anywhere (I get about 20 hours per shot).

For something that sounds great, is portable for travel, and is hassle free, I say Sandisk is a good choice.
SUPPORT CFL SPONSORS - BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Post by greengirl88 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:40 am

Thanks for all your help!! I ended up getting a Sandisk SANSA as suggested. So far it's working GREAT, and I love it. Thanks all!! :beer:
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest