technical question - streaming audio buffers constantly

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

sprout
Prospect

technical question - streaming audio buffers constantly

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:23 am

Looking for some technical advice about CKRM's streaming audio ... (http://www.620ckrm.com)

For various reasons, I prefer to listen to streaming audio, rather than the live broadcast. This year, I upgraded my PC to one that is only five years old, instead of 8. On the old PC, the stream never buffered; on this one, it does constantly. I've had high speed for years.

I've tried both the high speed and low speed options they offer, increased the buffer size (makes it worse), and changed the setting from browser detect proxy to auto detect proxy. I tried listening this morning before 6 a.m., when network traffic should be quite low. Still buffers.

Is it a CKRM issue (i.e. not enough bandwidth)? An email to the webmaster of the site and one to the station have both gone unanswered.

Your advice is appreciated!

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:29 am

Try streaming some audio from a different source. That should help you determine where the problem lies.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:37 am

I am listening right now to CHQR's audio vault (calagary station, not Regina). It still buffers a little, but nowhere like CKRM, which buffers every 30 seconds. Thanks for suggesting that process of elimination!

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:39 am

No problem. Welcome to 13thman Sprout. :beer:
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:34 am

What operating system are you using?
What browser are you streaming with? (IE sucks)
What kind of internet connection do you have?
Are you sharing your internet connection, if so, what kind of router are you using?
Are you using only 1 firewall? Using more than 1 firewall such as the XP firewall (which sucksm btw) and Zonealarm will cause problems.
Have you optimized your connection? If not, go here:
http://www.dslreports.com/tools
try the Tweak Test, Line Quality Test and Doctor TCP.
Is your operating system up to date with the latest patches/ fixes?
Have you updated the drivers or software for any devices related to your connection? (network card, router, etc)
Have you done a thorough viri/ trojan horse/ pest scan and cleansing? I suggest running a free online scan at http://www.trendmicro.com .

Best of luck and phpbb_!

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Hmm, my system looks to be pretty good within its Win 2K limits. I never have problems elsewhere.

I am curious: if the station doesn't have a large enough pipe, would that possibly cause buffering? (Sorry if that's a stoopid question!)

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:20 pm

sprout wrote:Hmm, my system looks to be pretty good within its Win 2K limits. I never have problems elsewhere.

I am curious: if the station doesn't have a large enough pipe, would that possibly cause buffering? (Sorry if that's a stoopid question!)
Yes I believe that may cause buffering or a complete stall.

Question: Can you play videos at http://www.youtube.com without buffering?

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:28 pm

Forgive me if I sound negative, but that may be it. Their website hasn't been refreshed for at least a year, so I doubt if they have expanded their pipe to acommodate international fans, like our troops in Afghanistan. I'm only in Regina and should probably log off so our guys and gals can listen (they don't have other options!).

Many thanks. :)

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:30 pm

P.s. You tube plays flawlessly.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:44 pm

I am listening to it here in Vancouver and it its seems pretty trouble free.

I have about a 5 year old AMD system running Windows 2000 and with 512 mb Ram and Telus HighSpeed.

If you haven't had problems with your internet connection and streaming on an older computer, then I would suspect that the culprit is your new machine in someway. Either not enought Ram or something like that.

BBbob pretty well covered it from what I can see. Since youtube plays flawlessly, then my attention might stray more towards WindowsMediaPlayer since that is what this radio station seems to play through. Like he says, make sure your software and hardware drivers are all up to date. Let us know if you get is solved.
Lest We Forget!

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:06 pm

I have 256 k RAM, which is usually pretty good for my unsophisticated needs. It's a 19 gig hard drive (bought surplus from my employer; I only reinstalled Win 2000 because I bought it without an OS, their selling terms, but had a licensed copy of win 2K))

So why do I want streaming audio? This is absolutely true. For many years, I had a complicated system on timers on audio cassettes, then found Free Hi-Q software. I love to listen to the play by play much after the game, sometimes.

So ... I click ckrm to start listen live, then record it to Free Hi q. Then I go to the game (having season tix). In the meantime, the play by play is recording on my pc. During the week, I listen to the play by play while dusting, or doing the dishes or whatever. If it's a really good game I save it to audio, but otherwise delete.

I suppose it's a broadcast violation, but it's only for my own entertainment. Maybe I should "get a life"???

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:13 pm

I would like to thank all of you for many helpful hints.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:39 pm

I record streaming media using Audacity, for what it's worth.

phpbb_!

sprout
Prospect

Post by sprout » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Update: You would not believe how simple the fix turned out to be. I was running an older version of Windows Media Player and upgraded to Version 9. Problem solved!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:56 pm

sprout wrote:Update: You would not believe how simple the fix turned out to be. I was running an older version of Windows Media Player and upgraded to Version 9. Problem solved!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Excellent! Happy recording sprout! :beauty:

phpbb_!