Windows Automatic Updates for Vista

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

AGENT-784
All Star

Windows Automatic Updates for Vista

Post by AGENT-784 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:25 pm

Here is my situation, with questions to follow :

Firstly, and most importantly, when it comes to computer savvy, my name is Neanderthal.

My machine is an Acer 5630-6368 notebook, running Vista Home Premium. It is used as a home computer to replace the outdated desktop. We browse the web, do internet banking, create documents, listen to internet radio, fiddle a bit with I-tunes, kids use instant messenger, YouTube, and e-mail.

After reading Windows Vista for Dummies, ( need I say more ), by Woody Leonhard, I came to the conclusion that I should disable the Windows Automatic Update. I bought into the advice that patch updates cause more grief than good, especially if there if no immediate need for a particular Microsoft patch.

Since it is clear that our computer is not being utilized to it's fullest capabilities, was I correct to disable the automatic update.

Is there an independent website, other than askwoody.com, that can provide information on patch reliability, and do it in plain english. I apologize for not being able to understand what's written in Knowledge Base articles and bulletins.

Big Thanx to all who can help educate the cement-head that I am.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:49 am

Usually all critical updates by Microsoft are to patch flaws within the system.

Hackers can now reverse-engineer a flaw that was released & create an exploit for it within 4 days now, as per SANS.

You might say, hey I'm only 1 guy, what could happen to me...I was saying the same thing 5 years ago where my PC was "exploited" and my credit cards numbers were used by someone in Romania.

I would suggest you still patch your PC will all the critical updates, but you could do it 3-4 days later then when the patch came out, that way if there is an issue with the released patches, there will be reports on the internet.

Don't forget the anti-virus and weekly scan (hope you have one), and a good malware remover (Ad-Aware).
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

AGENT-784
All Star

Post by AGENT-784 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:23 am

XG, Thanx for sharing your suggestion.

Norton AV and Webroot Spysweeper were included in the purchase, and I run them every 5-10 days, as the machine is not always connected to Telus High Speed.

BTW, Sorry to here about the Romanian rip-off, hope you were able to get those charges reversed by your card providers.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.