DVD Player Brands

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

DVD Player Brands

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which brand(s) offers better DVD players.

I've just had yet another one crap out on my... 4th in 5 years, but fortunately I had gotten a 4 yr warranty on the original, so Future Shop begrudgingly provided the latter three! First three were Panasonics (absolute crap) and the final was an LG.

I'm not looking for any special features, I'd just like something that would last a couple years of moderate use. I'm wondering if I should spend a little more and get quality, or just buy a cheap one.... BestBuy has a couple for just $30.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:08 am

Well, if you are tired of replacing DVD's which it sounds like you are, then yes, I would think that spending some more might be in order. One of the things that is going on with them right now is the Blue Ray/HD war. The most expensive models tend to be touting one or the other. As a consequence though, some of the older models which were initially high end but not specifically geared to either are costing less. I just picked up a High End Yamaha off the Demo Table of A&B Sound for $149.00. It had originally listed for over $300.00 last year. I would think that you could probably get something similar from one of the name brands (Sony, JVC) or what have you for about the same money. Just make sure it can be made Region Free. No point in buying it if it can't do that.
Lest We Forget!

Bastinado
Superstar

Post by Bastinado » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 am

My Panasonics has lasted somewhere around 5 years. Bought it for about $250. Its been going strong, and it reads some discs that other DVD players won't.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:17 pm

Just don't get any of those cheapies from Wal-Mart. We had one and it laste donly 3 years. Now, we have a Sony. It better last! :beauty:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:00 pm

Not sure what kind of TV you have but I bought a RCA DVD player with HDMI output (my CRT RPTV has a single HDMI input) for $100 at Wal-Mart back in February. Still runs fine.

Pros: HDMI. F'N AWESOME. Audio and video through one digital cable. Can't go back to component after this. Has a card reader for things like JPEGS and what not but I don't know exactly what and I never use those things anyway. Like those Sony SD cards or whatever they're called. It also plays DIVX and MP3 CD's.

Cons: no DTS output, crappy remote. Because of lack of DTS I'll be getting a different DVD player next year. Also: sometimes a disc will have trouble loading. Basically it spins up but nothing happens. Power off, turn on again, it's fine. Just a quirk of the player I guess. :/

Overall I'm satisfied, especially for the price and the picture quality through HDMI.

Don't go too cheap, that's why they're cheap. They suck. $50-75 gets you a decent Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony, etc player sans HDMI.

Hugoagogo
Starter

Post by Hugoagogo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:18 pm

My Toshiba finally crapped out after 6 years this spring. I bought an LG LDA-831 for under 100 bucks. Full 1080p upconverting, plus, thanks to a google search, I found a fix to make it a region free player, which comes in handy considering my eclectic movie tastes...
SUPPORT CFL SPONSORS - BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

Shi Zi Mi
Superstar
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Shi Zi Mi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:59 pm

Bushido wrote:Not sure what kind of TV you have but I bought a RCA DVD player with HDMI output (my CRT RPTV has a single HDMI input) for $100 at Wal-Mart back in February. Still runs fine.

Pros: HDMI. F'N AWESOME. Audio and video through one digital cable. Can't go back to component after this. Has a card reader for things like JPEGS and what not but I don't know exactly what and I never use those things anyway. Like those Sony SD cards or whatever they're called. It also plays DIVX and MP3 CD's.

Cons: no DTS output, crappy remote. Because of lack of DTS I'll be getting a different DVD player next year. Also: sometimes a disc will have trouble loading. Basically it spins up but nothing happens. Power off, turn on again, it's fine. Just a quirk of the player I guess. :/

Overall I'm satisfied, especially for the price and the picture quality through HDMI.

Don't go too cheap, that's why they're cheap. They suck. $50-75 gets you a decent Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony, etc player sans HDMI.
That's funny......I think I bought the identical RCA DVD player with Divx and HDMI and 1080i up conversion.......complete with the same friggin' problem you have :rotf: .........but I only paid $88 at Superstore !! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lloyd

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:42 pm

I went the cheap route... had a $25 gift card about to expire and I splurged on a $30 player :wink:

Figured with my luck at least when this one craps out after 6 months at least it only cost me $5... who knows, maybe it'll last a year or two. Remote control sucks something awful, but it plays the discs, so I'm content... when I finally go hi-def I'll get something decent then
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
That's funny......I think I bought the identical RCA DVD player with Divx and HDMI and 1080i up conversion.......complete with the same friggin' problem you have
Must be an issue somewhere. It hasn't ruined any of my discs and it doesn't happen that often, but it does happen. It's probably software.

Otherwise I'm satisfied. The upconversion is done really well. Something that was shot in HD, like Star Wars episode 3, Transformers or Sin City look fantastic.

Sorry for derailing you're thread, IM. Hope your DVD player works out for you, ya cheap bastich! :)

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Hey... what can I say, I'm of Scottish and Dutch ancestry, cheapness runs in the family :lol:
-

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Hey... what can I say, I'm of Scottish and Dutch ancestry, cheapness runs in the family :lol:
Ahhh... that would explain the haggis breath and the penchant for wooden shoes! :tease:

:beer:

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:34 am

I've used JVC Audio and Video equipment since I was a teenager, and have yet to have one crap out on me. I had a JVC receiver from 1979 that still works even tho it's horribly obsolete. I had a JVC tape deck in my truck that lasted 10+ years before I replaced it with a CD player, it was working when I took it out. My current big tube TV was one of the JVC Home Theater series, almost 8 years old and still running, not a day of trouble. (which annoys me a bit because I'd love an excuse to go out and buy a new 52" HDTV) :?

Quality is worth it.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!