What to upgrade first?

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:44 am

BBBob wrote:
greycupgarry wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
greycupgarry wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:I am assuming you want an AGP card and not a PCI or PCI-E card.

Future Shop here
According to my hardware profiles I have a NVIDIA GForce3 TI-200 and the location is: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

Not sure what the heck AGP or PCI means. I assume the card you picked out does not fit my Dell Dimension 4600?
That video card is AGP technology and your PC is fairly old (built in 2003 is fairly old in computer terms.......I wouldn't recommend upgrading). I have the Dell Dimension 5100 that is better than 2 1/2 years old and has the newer PCI Express technology for video.

Another reason not to upgrade that PC:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12985 ... ticle.html

Sorry about that Garry...........
Thanks for the info Lloyd. I guess I'll upgrade to a new computer then.
When it's time to upgrade, you always configure a custom PC to fit your needs and budget easily here:
http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/

Need any help just let us know!

As for your existing computer - why do you feel that you need to change the video card? Problems or any specific need?

Maybe you just need to clean up old driver fragments and (re)install the latest driver for that card. I can help with this if need be.
I guess I just wanted a better card because this old one just doesn't seem as crisp as the old one. I also noticed that when Brad uses sign language on the webcam there are 'trails' on his hands and the other card didn't have that.

So Now I'm looking at getting a new tower. But everything seems to be with Vista operating system. Isn't there a lot of problems with that system? Idelly I would just like to use the existing hard drive either externally or build it in so I don't have to transfer all the files. Anything wrong with that?
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:34 am

greycupgarry wrote:
I guess I just wanted a better card because this old one just doesn't seem as crisp as the old one. I also noticed that when Brad uses sign language on the webcam there are 'trails' on his hands and the other card didn't have that.
Yeah, that old card you popped in is lagging for sure, a newer card should fix that.
greycupgarry wrote:
So Now I'm looking at getting a new tower. But everything seems to be with Vista operating system. Isn't there a lot of problems with that system? Idelly I would just like to use the existing hard drive either externally or build it in so I don't have to transfer all the files. Anything wrong with that?
Avoid Vista, a lot of people hate it and are having problems with it. Some custom builders still sell a OEM version of XP, just demand it or else. I plan to do that.

And for your old HD I'm pretty sure you'd have to reformat and reinstall the OS so yeah you'd lose you files anyway. And none of your old Drivers would work probably in a new tower. Easier to hook your old machine up to a new one and transfer whatever files you want to save using the File Transfer Wizard in XP. But you would have to reinstall any software you'd want to run on a new box.

Beginning to sound like a $50 vid card upgrade is a cheaper and simpler solution eh? Depends how long you want to keep the old box going I suppose.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:17 am

You may just need to cleanup the video card driver and re-install a driver to improve video performance Garry.

Fyi, http://www.ncix.com will sell XP. :wink:

There will be a service pack coming out for Vista soon, also the last service pack for XP (SP 3) soon. Vista may be better after the service pack, we'll see...

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 am

BBBob wrote:You may just need to cleanup the video card driver and re-install a driver to improve video performance Garry.

Fyi, http://www.ncix.com will sell XP. :wink:

There will be a service pack coming out for Vista soon, also the last service pack for XP (SP 3) soon. Vista may be better after the service pack, we'll see...
I tried the driver update when I popped the old one in and then again last week. There was no difference.

Hey Bob. I need to call you. When is a good time? and whch phone. cell or home? I have both. (even Mel's :8) :wink: ) It's about Thunderbird. Last summer when my HD baffed on me I lost all my mail settings. Have never been able to get the SMTP server working again. I'm tired of using this crappy Outlook Express.

Hey! It's the offseason. time to get these issues out of the before the salvo starts flying. :lol:
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

Shi Zi Mi
Superstar
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Shi Zi Mi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 am

Bob.......with the cheap retail cost of a complete system (which also includes the advantage of a certain amount of warranty)........is upgrading an old system truly cost effective?

I used to sell PC's years ago (only IT guy in Lac du Bonnet in the early 90's) and I always considered expandability and "best bang for the buck" when recommending hardware. What I found......after a few years and advancements in technology, people had no interest in adding/upgrading their older PC's.......so the expandability consideration was a waste.

IMHO, the computer industry has moved even closer to a "disposable" industry as the industry changes/improves so rapidly in technology.

Your thoughts? (actually, I welcome anyone's opinion).
Lloyd

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:38 pm

greycupgarry wrote: It's about Thunderbird. Last summer when my HD baffed on me I lost all my mail settings. Have never been able to get the SMTP server working again. I'm tired of using this crappy Outlook Express.
I had same problem, found out through Trial and Error how to make Thunderbird play nice with Sympaticos pophm.sympatico.ca mail servers. (I assume that's what's screwing you up?)

If BBBob can't help you this is my settings:

Server name: (in my case) smtphm.sympatico.ca

SMTP Port 25

Check box Use Name And Password

Use Secure Connection TLS

Works for me.

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupgarry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:47 am

ArgoDave wrote:
greycupgarry wrote: It's about Thunderbird. Last summer when my HD baffed on me I lost all my mail settings. Have never been able to get the SMTP server working again. I'm tired of using this crappy Outlook Express.
I had same problem, found out through Trial and Error how to make Thunderbird play nice with Sympaticos pophm.sympatico.ca mail servers. (I assume that's what's screwing you up?)

SMTP Port 25

Works for me.
Thought I went through that at Christmas with my nephew, but I'll give it another go. Thanks Dave. Because, as you know Sympatico is of no help at all if you have Thunderbird.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:24 am

greycupgarry wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:

SMTP Port 25

Works for me.
Thought I went through that at Christmas with my nephew, but I'll give it another go. Thanks Dave. Because, as you know Sympatico is of no help at all if you have Thunderbird.
Yeah, I tried the Online help from Sympatico and they told me Thunderbird wouldn't work with their mail servers. Yeah....right. I gave them the exact Error message and they didn't have a clue what it meant.

Oh, one other thing, if your Anti-Virus program scans outbound (SMTP) mail try turning that part of it off. My Avast! app was interfering just enough to cause logon timeouts with the mail server.

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupgarry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:25 am

ArgoDave wrote:
greycupgarry wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:

SMTP Port 25

Works for me.
Yeah, I tried the Online help from Sympatico and they told me Thunderbird wouldn't work with their mail servers. Yeah....right. I gave them the exact Error message and they didn't have a clue what it meant.

Oh, one other thing, if your Anti-Virus program scans outbound (SMTP) mail try turning that part of it off. My Avast! app was interfering just enough to cause logon timeouts with the mail server.
Thanks dave. That seemed to work. I had it set to SSL :beauty:

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupgarry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 am

Now a new question.

I'm going to get a new tower now.

Isn't there a way I can use my existing HD as an external back up medium?

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:38 am

Yes you can use your existing HD in your new PC. :beer:

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupgarry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:35 am

BBBob wrote:Yes you can use your existing HD in your new PC. :beer:
Thanks BBBob. So then I transfer the files, etc from the old HD to the new HD and then once I know I have them all I format this drive and wipe it clean?

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:54 am

greycupgarry wrote:
BBBob wrote:Yes you can use your existing HD in your new PC. :beer:
Thanks BBBob. So then I transfer the files, etc from the old HD to the new HD and then once I know I have them all I format this drive and wipe it clean?
Yes you can do that if you desire.

On another note, you can use what is called a "cross-over cable" to easily network two computers (NIC to NIC) and transfer files back and forth.

I just noticed that you wanted an to use your existing HD as "external backup" - you will need to purchase an external drive enclosure kit for the HD.

I should have noted originally that if your old hard drive is an IDE drive and your new motherboard only has SATA connectors, the external drive enclosure is the way to go. Plug your external HD into the firewire or usb port (depending on which connection type you purchase) and zoom zoom.

I would suggest a firewire connection enclosure kit over a USB connection enclosure. Firewire=faster data transfer. But it really won't make a big difference for you if you go usb, I don't think.

:beer:

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:39 pm

greycupgarry wrote:
Thanks dave. That seemed to work. I had it set to SSL :beauty:
Yeah, that was what worked with their old 10MB mailboxes but not with their new Enhanced mail service IIRC.