Speaker recommendations

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Bushido
Champion

Speaker recommendations

Post by Bushido » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Around March, early April, I'm going to be getting new speakers.

What I'm interested in, in order:

Definitive Technology (ProCinema series)
Paradigm
B&W
Energy (not the Take series)

Not interested in:

Bose
most anything sold by Future Shop/Best Buy (though I realize FS sells Energy but that's okay).

Budget will be about $1500 +/- not inc. tax.

Does anyone have any familiarity with the 4 brands posted above? My living room is approx. 14' x 15' and the rears will be right behind the listening area, barely a foot from the couch. There's no hardwood, just carpeting. It's not really a dead room as it's open to the left side of the seating area but it's not a lively room either.

Distance from fronts to rears will be approx. 12' +/-.

Not sure if I should go with an 8" or 10" sub.

Paul Woods
Starter

Post by Paul Woods » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:20 pm

I have Paradigm and am very happy. Monitor 7s for the two main front L&R speakers. I have ceiling speakers for rear channels, also Paradigm (as are the centre channel and subwoofer). The ceiling spkrs sound good altho it's not as good a setup as true head-level rear spkrs. I highly recommend Paradigm.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:50 pm

We've got a 5 year old Paradigm 5.1 setup and will look at replacing it most likely with Paradigm in the near future (and a new amp). Dunno if we'll bother to go 7.1 though.

Paradigm has done good by us. :beauty:

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:50 pm

My Cerwin Vegas rock the house. (yah, I bought them at Future Shop, so shoot me. :wink: )

Go as big as you can with a Sub, mine is 10"' floor cube, self powered, as much Watts as you can get. You can always turn it down...but you won't want to when you can rattle every window in the house. Action films will never be the same again! :beauty:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

gridiron
Rookie

Post by gridiron » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm more than happy with my Klipsch RF-25's. Will soon be adding the Centre Channel and Subwoofers but the floor speakers alone are more than enough. :smokin:
I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess. -Red Green

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47 pm

I am using Mission 765i's (quite old) for my fronts, Energy 3.1 for my rears an Energy Centre Speaker (ECC1) and Energy Peripheral Speakers (Point 1e's) (a variation on the 7.1 arrangement where these two small speakers go above and outside the two front mains). I like the Energy's and I am loving the Missions which are now becoming available again in Canada after a bit of a Hiatus. I am looking into a Sub myself but I am blanching a little bit at the 500.00 plus price tags of some the Velodynes etc. I will probably go used for that in the end but no rush.

The 3 of my 5 Energies I got for nothing. Bargain of the century and they are just fine. In fact 5 out of 7 are Energy Speakers and I have nothing to say against em. Also made in Canada I believe so if you are looking to support local industry. There you go. Part of the Klipsch Group Now apparently.
A picture of the Missions.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/545863228.html
Lest We Forget!