Anyone use cellphone based internet?

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Anyone use cellphone based internet?

Post by BBBob » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:09 pm

We live out in the boonies. The only high speed internet service that we could get was wireless (non-cellular). Our wireless (WISP) service has been down A LOT, so we are looking to change now that there is another option. MTS is offering a "email and surf" plan that is cellular based - it is $65 a month, plus equipment cost of $150 (card for my desktop) and the data is capped at 1 gig - after 1 gig, you pay $1 a meg up to a $45 cap - so basically we can have unlimited internet access for $110 a month. The price isn't a problem (business expense) however I am curious about a few things:
  • ~can i connect this service to my router to provide broadband to all the computers in my home (the tech I talked to said yes, with additional software, but was very vague).

~If I am using the service at home, and if we get a wireless mobility card for The Wife's laptop, can we use the service at the same time from different locations?

~What kind of latency should I expect from this type of service? I am an online gamer and the lower the ping, the better.
I have asked all these questions to the MTS tech's and have not had my queries answered to my satisfaction, thus why I post them here.

Any help appreciated.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:29 pm

For my own interest, I would like to find out the answers to this myself.

I have some thoughts that might bear consideration.

For connecting to the router.
- I guess that it depends on the format of the so called "card" that they were planning to connect to your desktop. Is it some kind of proprietary card that they install in your computer or does this device connect to your computer via network cable? and card?

If it is the latter, do they provide you with a fixed IP, or some kind of dynamic address. I would think that any router could probably be programmed with the correct information if a static IP is involved.

I suppose that some kind of connection sharing through your desktop might be possible as well if there is something about the setup that restricts the connection to only once machine.

Anyways, free association aside, let us know what happens if you go ahead.
Lest We Forget!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:14 am

We're going to sign up and get the equipment tomorrow (tuesday) - after I have another discussion with the company regarding my queries.

I'll keep 'ya posted. :cross:

MulderS
Starter

Post by MulderS » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 am

It depends the speed you get though the cell phone network.

My friend recently used his cell phone for internet and got speeds no better than dailup.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:09 pm

MulderS wrote:It depends the speed you get though the cell phone network.

My friend recently used his cell phone for internet and got speeds no better than dailup.
Gotta pick up the equipment on friday (can't believe they had no stock).

Hey Mulder, I'm guessing that your pal was on a 1X network and not an EVDO network - EVDO privides speeds up to 2.4 mps as I understand it, although the average speed will be much lower.

I'll report back once I have the service connected. :beauty:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Well I got the equipment and software today and have been online with the new connection for about an hour.
Latency is about 150 ms to 250 ms, a speed test reported the connection speed to be 1,400+ kbps :beauty:

Now just to setup my home network and figure out why I can receive POP email but cannot send.

I'll report back again.

:beer:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:55 am

It took me all night to setup the network, a bad network card fouled the mix and it took awhile to diagnose that. :? Popped in another nic, adjusted the router ip and zoom zoom, all the client computers were a snap to setup after that. :beauty:

I've been tweaking my tcp settings, still trying to find a balance between speed and quality; I just did a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net :

Good speed, but just before that I tried some online gaming and although my ping wasn't bad, I had some stuttering - I tried a couple games, same results. Have to do some more tweaking.

I'm trying to find a router with a usb port that can be used for networking (not print sharing), any ideas?

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Not bad speed at all, that's around what I get on the fringe of my areas DSL service, at the right time of day.

Hope it works out for ya BBBob! :cross: :beauty:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:53 pm

ArgoDave wrote:Not bad speed at all, that's around what I get on the fringe of my areas DSL service, at the right time of day.

Hope it works out for ya BBBob! :cross: :beauty:
Fingers crossed pal, all I have to do is resolve the stuttering and I'm good to go! See you on Snakeplain! :D

Btw, the above image of the speedtest is likely the high end for my connection.

phpbb_!

Furkmyster
All Star
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Furkmyster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:19 am

Bob,
What kind of service is this through MTS? My brother is also in the boonies and is looking for some high speed service. There is some kind of wireless setup available, but it is pulling teeth to get them to ever get to installing it at his place. I think an MTS wireless solution would be much better.

Daryl

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Hey Daryl, this is cellular based internet - expensive and not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than dialup! You can see the various plans here - ignore them all except for the 1 Gig plan.

Info:
Plan Duration: 2 and 3 year (get the 2 year, competition will eventually happen)

The Plan - the 1 gig plan is the ONLY plan to consider for a main internet connection. How it works is, the first 4 months are unlimited data transfer, after that you must pay $1 a MB after you reach the 1 GB cap - HOWEVER, this extra charge is capped at $45. Soooo, basically one can get unlimited internet for $110 (+tax) a month.

Equipment - On a 3 year plan the modem is $99, on a 2 year plan it is $150 but there is another catch (gotcha) - with the 2 year plan, they only give you a 1 year warranty :roll: , so, if the modem screws up you are forced to buy a new one for $600. You can pay about $80 for modem insurance, which we did.

To use this service you must live in an area with MTS EVDO service:
EVDO Coverage – EVDO (Evolution Data Optimized) service is available within MTS EVDO coverage areas (currently Winnipeg, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Winkler, Morden, Dauphin, Neepawa, Minnedosa, Onanole, Falcon Lake, Belair, Grand Beach / Victoria Beach, Selkirk, Gimli, Lac Du Bonnet, Thompson, Lorette, St. Adolphe, Steinbach, Jessica Lake, Winnipeg Beach, Garvin Road, St. Andrews, Anola, Ste. Anne, The Pas, Deception Bay/Clearwater Bay (Ontario)) where technology permits.
I got the Ovation MCD3000 USB modem, there are 2 other cards you can buy, but they are for a laptop (or a PC with a special slot for such cards).

Any more queries, fire away!

Furkmyster
All Star
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Furkmyster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the info. As with all things high speed internet-wise, my brother isn't in an EVDO area yet. The bubble looks like it ends maybe 5-10 miles from his place by Dauphin.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Furkmyster wrote:Bob,
Thanks for the info. As with all things high speed internet-wise, my brother isn't in an EVDO area yet. The bubble looks like it ends maybe 5-10 miles from his place by Dauphin.
That sucks. :? One thing, do tell your bro to SAY THE HELL AWAY FROM Xplorenet satellite internet. Wonder why? Check here:
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/
I know too many folks that have been burnt by this company.