Domain Name Management

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Spencer
All Star
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:32 am
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Domain Name Management

Post by Spencer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:53 am

Hi folks - I need some advice.

I registered a domain name (burgesshistorical.com) for my wife's home business a number of years ago via the same ISP that we used for our dialup service. We set it up (somehow - I don't remember the details) so that we had a couple of email addresses that pointed to our email account at the ISP. We also have a simple webpage there that http://www.burgesshistorical.com points to.

So, I recently got high-speed access at home with Cogeco, which includes email addresses (ending in cocego.ca) and some webpage space. I now need to get my burgesshistorical.com domain name to point to the new Cogeco email/webpage space. Cogeco says I need to talk to my old ISP (a bit of a Mom-and-Pop shop) to make the appropriate changes, but the old ISP hasn't been too helpful (yet - they're a bit slow to respond sometimes). When I open my "Domain Management" page, the only information I can seem to change is information related to "name servers".

So, can anyone give me a clue as to what changes I need to make? I don't know what the *F* I'm doing....

Thanks,

Spencer...
Last edited by Spencer on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9550
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:19 am
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions
Location: Van
Contact:

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by D » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:12 am

the first thing you need to do is get the contact info to point to your new email address, in most cases they use that as verification that you are the owner/admin getting that sorted out can save you a ton of headaches. look in the contact info section of the Domain Management page.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

User avatar
Spencer
All Star
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:32 am
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by Spencer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 am

Great. I will do that.

Any idea what comes after that?

User avatar
D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9550
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:19 am
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions
Location: Van
Contact:

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by D » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

after that I'm not sure if DNS pointing will apply (if cogeco is like shaw I don't think that would work) however there should be domain forwarding available so you would forward burgesshistorical.com to something like /me/at/cogeco/ (whatever the address for your webspace at cogeco is) also make sure you upload all the files from burgesshistorical.com to your webspace
I own The Grey Cup! .com

User avatar
Spencer
All Star
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:32 am
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by Spencer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:05 pm

D wrote:after that I'm not sure if DNS pointing will apply (if cogeco is like shaw I don't think that would work) however there should be domain forwarding available so you would forward burgesshistorical.com to something like /me/at/cogeco/ (whatever the address for your webspace at cogeco is)
Sorry to be so profoundly ignorant here, but when you say that domain forwarding should be available, do you mean available at Cogeco? I'm not sure which company I need to approach. I gather I should call Cogeco and ask about the domain forwarding?

Thanks for all the help, D - I really appreciate it.

Spencer...

User avatar
D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9550
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:19 am
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions
Location: Van
Contact:

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by D » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 pm

No what I mean is .... the place that is hosting your site now should have an admin area for your site and one of the features offered is likely domain forwarding.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

User avatar
Spencer
All Star
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:32 am
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by Spencer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

D wrote:No what I mean is .... the place that is hosting your site now should have an admin area for your site and one of the features offered is likely domain forwarding.
Well, after a lot of reading and asking of questions, I figured out that my new ISP didn't have what I needed. The webpage space I have is not really for serious "hosting" (it's just for personal stuff), so consequently it's pretty bare-bones. Which is fine. It just took me some time to figure that out.

So, I found a company EasyDNS.com, which has what I need (email forwarding and domain name management tools) for a reasonable price. I was also very happy to find out that it is a Canadian company, which sealed the deal for me.

So, now I have to get off my butt and get the new website designed. Can anyone suggest a decent web development tool -- hopefully an open source one?

BBBob
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:17 am

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by BBBob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:51 am

Spencer wrote:
D wrote:No what I mean is .... the place that is hosting your site now should have an admin area for your site and one of the features offered is likely domain forwarding.
Well, after a lot of reading and asking of questions, I figured out that my new ISP didn't have what I needed. The webpage space I have is not really for serious "hosting" (it's just for personal stuff), so consequently it's pretty bare-bones. Which is fine. It just took me some time to figure that out.

So, I found a company EasyDNS.com, which has what I need (email forwarding and domain name management tools) for a reasonable price. I was also very happy to find out that it is a Canadian company, which sealed the deal for me.

So, now I have to get off my butt and get the new website designed. Can anyone suggest a decent web development tool -- hopefully an open source one?
Does your web host allow .php and a sql database? (any decent hosting package will allow this)
If so, I suggest that you have a look at the open source Content Management System Joomla!. A bit of a learning curve, but well worth the effort.

A free alternative to the WYSIWYG editor Dreamweaver is Aptana, http://www.aptana.com . Worth a look.

User avatar
Spencer
All Star
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:32 am
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by Spencer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:42 pm

BBBob wrote:Does your web host allow .php and a sql database? (any decent hosting package will allow this)
If so, I suggest that you have a look at the open source Content Management System Joomla!. A bit of a learning curve, but well worth the effort.

A free alternative to the WYSIWYG editor Dreamweaver is Aptana, http://www.aptana.com . Worth a look.
Thanks for the link. That's excellent. I will check out Joomla!, and I just found Aptana too. I am also taking a look at Quanta Plus, which seems decent. There's no Windows version of it yet apparently, but since I'm running Linux/Xubuntu, I'm okay.

Thanks for the help folks! When I've got the first draft of the website up, I'll post again here to let everyone know.

Spencer...

BBBob
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:17 am

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by BBBob » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 am

Spencer, I'm a Joomla developer (templates and extensions) and if you need any help just let me know.

Cheers

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Re: Domain Name Management

Post by greengirl88 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

I need help BBBob! I was informed by someone that I could use Joomla! to set up an attractive, unobtrusive way on my website for me to design the website while allowing the less web-savvy members of our executive to update the text portions of their respective pages, from an area they would log into (thus preventing easy changing of this by other people). Ours is a fairly low profile website so I'm not terribly concerned that it be extremely secure (just enough that random vandals don't decide to put in a few bad words because it doesn't take much effort, basically). But I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to do that... do you know how, or does anyone know another way I could do this?
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests