Ford Focus - Wheel Bearing Question

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Starter

Ford Focus - Wheel Bearing Question

Postby MulderS » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 pm

If there is any car mechanics here, i got a question. Recently my front passenger side wheel was making a nice clicking and humming sound. (more so when i turned to the right)
Now I'm pretty good with cars myself, so i narrowed it down to CV joint or wheel bearings. And was debating on just doing the wheel bearings myself when a co-worker (he works on his own car) told me they have to be machined in with a special tool. Now i've done wheel bearing before, on my 1992 Ford Tempo, it wasn't really that hard at all. The worse part was taking the old track( or race ) out, as well as being care full when inserting the new one. But my co-worker insisted that it needed a special tool and i cannot do it myself. Also told me that i shouldn't drive it and take it to a mechanic, at least to find out where it was coming from.

So being at work (i work from home) i took it to the local shop because i didn't really have time to do it myself before i head to Wasaga for the weekend (if it ended up being something big),
turns out it's the wheel bearing, it literally fell apart when he took it out. So got the one side fixed, i probably should do the other side also, however i want to make sure that it's actually just a case of popping off the hub, and taking out the race very carefully along with putting in a new one grease up the bearing and put everything back together, And not something that i need some super special machining tool.

Anyways, if it turns out it's just like my ford tempo i had, which was very easy to do just took some time, I'm never going to goto that co-worker for car repair advice again. And follow my fathers motto of "If a man made it, another man can fix it"

Hall of Famer

Re: Ford Focus - Wheel Bearing Question

Postby BBBob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:40 am

When in doubt, check the internet. Failing that, a repair manual can pay for itself in short order.

Cheers

Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Re: Ford Focus - Wheel Bearing Question

Postby hfxbomberfan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:59 am

I had the same problem with my Focus last week. I checked out the job in the manual, and chose not to do it myself. I took it to Ford and they did it for 200 bucks. Less hassle that way. It looked to too "fiddlin" for me to tackle. :?
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Return to the Fix It Shed