Content Management Systems

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

OrangeShoes99
Superstar

Content Management Systems

Post by OrangeShoes99 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 pm

I am overhauling my Canucks site and want to go to a blog/content management format. I know of wordpress and Joomla.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for such a format?

I am not a programmer, so I would like something fairly simple to learn and customize.

:beer:
All together for 3rdDown..."Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaa!"
CFL Fans Fight Cancer - See how you can help at http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: Content Management Systems

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Depends just how elaborate your needs are... I like wordpress for more article driven sites with limited amount of other content... and Joomla for larger, more content driven sites.

There a bunch of other good, free, CMS systems out there, Drupal, geeklog, phpnuke to name a few... but admittedly I generally stick with Joomla and WP
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

OrangeShoes99
Superstar

Post by OrangeShoes99 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks IM...I just installed an instance of Joomla and was playing around with it. It doesnt seem to allow visitors to comment on news items etc...is that the case?
CFL Fans Fight Cancer - See how you can help at http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com

Catssuck
Champion
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Catssuck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:15 am

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Thanks IM...I just installed an instance of Joomla and was playing around with it. It doesnt seem to allow visitors to comment on news items etc...is that the case?
No, that would be in wordpress - but readers can rate articles in Joomla. Also Fireboard is a great forum extension for Joomla.

Are you using the new Joomla 1.5 or the original 1.0 (version 18 being the latest I believe)? There are a number of 1.5 native comment extensions available as well.
On July 13th 2007 Cossack wrote: I agree with the Argo fan.
Thanks for finally coming around Terry - the Ticats do suck.

OrangeShoes99
Superstar

Post by OrangeShoes99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 pm

I installed 1.5...I noticed on Joonla's site they are using phpBB. There must be an extension or a bridge for the new version?

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:51 pm

There may be an extension to allow comments for 1.5... I haven't really played with 1.5 much, and while there were several for 1.0 I never found one I really liked. As Catsuck mentioned, Fireboard is a great option, but again, there may be some better phpbb bridges available then there were when I last looked.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.