Not all recordable media is created equal

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Bushido
Champion

Not all recordable media is created equal

Post by Bushido » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:26 pm

This weekend I decided to back-up a bunch of my music CD's so I can play the copies in my vehicle and keep the originals at home. Bought a 50 pack of Maxell CD-R's and went at it.

Or so I thought. First disc iTunes gave me an error that the disc was too fast for this burner (the burner in my eMac is 24x). Oh. Weird. Try another one. Same thing. This goes on for five, six more discs. Damnit. Do some searching online, some say it could be a dirty laser (nope, just used the last of my Fujifilm CD-R's the other day and they worked fine), others say a drive failing (again, not in my case) or perhaps the discs themselves are too fast. After a conversation with MacHelper in Winnipeg (they had a nice Lacie firewire burner for $25 but no software, damnit) they said that not all media are created equal. Some just suck.

I buy a 10 pack of Fujifilm and a 30 pack of Verbatim at The Source. Both on sale.

So far Fuji's are 5/5 (I've only burned five discs but 5 have had zero problems) and with the Verbatims I've had 8 go bad out of about 20 something.

I'm tempted to stick with Fuji's because they've given me no problems in the past (and so far with the new batch, knock on wood) but I'm curious as to what others use and what you guys consider to be the best.

Hugoagogo
Starter

Re: Not all recordable media is created equal

Post by Hugoagogo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:37 pm

I used to use Maxell. Stopped when they switched from being manufactured in Taiwan versus Japan. Yeah, most aren't manufactured in Japan anymore, but I just had bad luck with Maxell once the switch happened. I use Verbatim for all my CD-r and DVD-r now - never had a problem with hundreds of discs. I have an HP drive in my computer, a Pioneer DVD recorder and an LG upscaling region-free DVD player and a Pioneer deck in my car. No problems on any of my equipment with Verbatim.
I used to use Fuji DVD-r discs, but I found they used to stick on my old Toshiba DVD player.
I use Memorex black CD-r's for data and the occasional disc for tunes for the car. No probs there either.

Sometimes it's not the disc, but it's the player that is more sensitive to brands. Most drives will recommend media brands for their player - might want to check the owner's guide - sorry don't know much about macs.
SUPPORT CFL SPONSORS - BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:12 pm

I've used TDK blank media for years now, all formats, and I can't remember the last time I burned a coaster. (and I've gone through 100's of them, literally) :beauty:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:54 pm

It's true that not all disks are created equal. Different brands use different dyes and the manufacturing standards are not equal either, however, not all burners are created equal either. The rate of failure that you describe is far and away in excess of what you might expect for failure rate from some kind of quality defect. You have a 24x burner. That sounds like it is of an older variety. If so, it is possible that your burner doesn't deal with certain kinds of dye's well or is wearing out. Take one of your Maxwells to another computer with a burner and try it. You will probably find that it works just fine. I would expect in real life that all things being equal that you should get a failure rate of maybe 1% on most major brand of disks (at least at the time of burning. Longevity is a whole other issue).
Lest We Forget!

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:23 am

Good point, I had an old burner that was kinda touchy about RW's. But I've found the newer drives that call themselves "Super-Multi" drives can generally handle any decent media. I've read comments on Forums like CD freaks that generally suggest the worst media is often the cheapest, and they even have lists of known bad media that give problems to lots of people, that have failure rates of over 50% some claim. Now that's bad!
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:57 am

If you buy bulk and generic, you can expect higher failure rates. However, most brand names work better than that. Maxell isn't top of the line but it is fairly well known and has been around for years. If everybody had the same failure rates as you describe no one would buy them. The fact that your Verbatim disks were also causing you problems is instructive. They too have been around a long time and generally enjoy a decent reputation. The only way to be sure however is to go to another machine and give it a whirl.
Lest We Forget!

Soundy
Playground Hero

Post by Soundy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 pm

I've had far more luck with cheap no-name blanks than with any name-brand ones at three times the price.