Blackberry vs 3G iPhone

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

BB_Blitz
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Blackberry vs 3G iPhone

Post by BB_Blitz » Mon May 11, 2009 12:09 pm

I was trying a Blackberry and I can't even read those little buttons never mind type with them.

I heard the iPhone has a very short battery life and constantly needs recharging.

I wanted to buy one or the other for my wife.

Your thoughts on the pros and cons ?

:cowboy:
Last edited by BB_Blitz on Wed May 13, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

jazzace
Prospect

Re: Blackberry vs 3G iPhone

Post by jazzace » Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 pm

It really depends on her needs and whether you can afford the data plan or not, but if those factors are neutralized, I vote iPhone. It becomes a small computer, especially with all the things you can buy/download for free from the App Store. I hate to vote against the Canadian company on this one, but my experience with the iPod touch has been tremendous and I have many associates who use the iPhone. My only advice: if you choose the iPhone, wait until mid-June to buy if you can. I expect a new model will be announced then and could be shipping as early as the end of June. (Note: This is pure speculation, since Apple doesn't generally pre-announce these things, but they have released an iPhone model each year for the past two years at that time.)

P.S.: The shorter battery life is generally related to heavy internet access or playing of video. The current generation phone and software is much better than the original iPhone in this regard.

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Wed May 13, 2009 9:55 am

jazzace wrote:It really depends on her needs and whether you can afford the data plan or not, but if those factors are neutralized, I vote iPhone. It becomes a small computer, especially with all the things you can buy/download for free from the App Store. I hate to vote against the Canadian company on this one, but my experience with the iPod touch has been tremendous and I have many associates who use the iPhone. My only advice: if you choose the iPhone, wait until mid-June to buy if you can. I expect a new model will be announced then and could be shipping as early as the end of June. (Note: This is pure speculation, since Apple doesn't generally pre-announce these things, but they have released an iPhone model each year for the past two years at that time.)

P.S.: The shorter battery life is generally related to heavy internet access or playing of video. The current generation phone and software is much better than the original iPhone in this regard.
Thanks for the excellent input. :beauty:

Before committing to an iPhone and a 3 year plan with Rogers, I purchased an iPod yesterday at Future Shop to get the feel of it. I have a router so I'm able to play around on the internet with it. It's quite amazing. I have 30 days to return it in which I will then purchase the iPhone if I like how the iPod handles. So far so good.
:thup:

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Thu May 14, 2009 9:08 pm

I have a BB Storm on Bell my roommate has an iPhone on Rogers

The storm is great .. I love it, phones have come a long long way! pretty much any app he has I can also get but if i had the choice i like the iphone.

the reason i prefer the iphone is the keyboard for texting is better ... it's pretty good on the storm as each letter glows under your finger, but on the iphone when you touch a letter it pops up so you can see whats under your finger.

I'd recommend you go to youtube and watch a few reviews of each device. I don't like Rogers, so for me it was do i want a storm or not. I checked youtube to get the scoop on what it could do
:2: :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com

shayman
Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by shayman » Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 pm

Just like other devices, battery life on the iPhone really depends on what you're doing. Certain tasks - "push" email, or making heavy use of the GPS system - really tax the radios and can shorten battery life. If you can turn those off or use them only when needed, the battery life improves considerably.

Me, I can live without "push" email (where the server instantaneously notifies you that you have a new message; I turn that off, and just pick up my email when I'm ready to read it) and the battery life is fine. If you turn wifi off when you aren't actively using it, that helps too.

Signed,
"slightly biased"
I helped pay for it, I'm calling it "Skydome."

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sun May 17, 2009 5:57 am

D wrote: on the iphone when you touch a letter it pops up so you can see whats under your finger.
I like that feature too.
:thup:

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sun May 17, 2009 5:58 am

shayman wrote:Just like other devices, battery life on the iPhone really depends on what you're doing. Certain tasks - "push" email, or making heavy use of the GPS system - really tax the radios and can shorten battery life. If you can turn those off or use them only when needed, the battery life improves considerably.

Me, I can live without "push" email (where the server instantaneously notifies you that you have a new message; I turn that off, and just pick up my email when I'm ready to read it) and the battery life is fine. If you turn wifi off when you aren't actively using it, that helps too.

Signed,
"slightly biased"
Thanks for the info. :beer:

acluett89
Playground Scrub

Post by acluett89 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 am

Hi Everyone..I have already iphone 3g,but need to unlock it now,it seems i need to put a Sim card that comes with the i phone.but i don have it.i tried using foreign Sim<vodafone>but its not supported.only compatible Sim are supported..wat Sim exactly could i insert on iphone to unlock it so it will be compatible.