Internet phone majic jack

Boys love the Toys ... Discuss the latest toys, technologies, Virus Alerts, Help others with Home Improvements or fixin the car, etc.

Moderator: Referees

Bobbyp
All Star

Internet phone majic jack

Post by Bobbyp » Tue May 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Anyone have that majic jack or similar type of home phone service on their computer and if so does it work? Looking to save some money on telephone service.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

BB_Blitz
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Re: Internet phone majic jack

Post by BB_Blitz » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 am

Bobbyp wrote:Anyone have that majic jack or similar type of home phone service on their computer and if so does it work? Looking to save some money on telephone service.
I've had my MJ for over a year now and it does the trick. :thup: :thup: I just renewed my yearly subscription last month. ( $19.95 yr ). They have live chat support which is nice. Hope you have easy access to a USB port on your 'puter. Where are you planning on buying it from?
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Wed May 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Im not sure where to get it I saw something like it at Future Shop. So do I keep my existing phone number and call Telus I want to cancel? How exactly does it work and thanks for replying BB_Blitz
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

BB_Blitz
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by BB_Blitz » Thu May 14, 2009 4:41 am

Bobbyp wrote:Im not sure where to get it I saw something like it at Future Shop. So do I keep my existing phone number and call Telus I want to cancel? How exactly does it work and thanks for replying BB_Blitz
If you are looking at it as a way to substitute your local calling and eliminate your phone bills I would not recommend it. You can't run it through all your phone jacks so you would have to send and receive all calls at your computer. I have it just for long distance calls because I do online marketing and have many contacts throughout Canada and the USA. It's great for that.

There are no area codes in Canada being used right now so you can select any area code you want from the USA. They provide a list and I have a Michigan area code. Doesn't matter which one you choose as there are no long distance charges anyway.

I find that while the MJ is plugged into the USB port, it slows down the 'puter. I just plug and unplug it whenever i need it to make a LD call. That's why I said it's important to have easy access to your USB port. My tower has a couple ports at the front.
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.