The Environment, Politics, and the(upcoming)Federal Election

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:51 pm

green ty wrote:I can't see the Conservatives calling an election any time soon. If there is an election soon, it will probably be because the opposition brings the government down.
Generally that would be the case but the attack adds say otherwise.

The Quebec liberals have stooped to the same level. No election as been called but the Radio adds have started.

I think there will be 2 elections called, both by the parties in power!

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:50 pm

I think the ads are because they anticipate an election. In Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Party (opposition) are running election style ads right now. They have no control over when the election is, but they anticipate an election soon.

The Conservatives would be fooloish to call an election right now considering they are even with the Liberals in the polls. Although, I guess they could be anticipating a rise in the polls after their budget.

Hoof
All Star
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Post by Hoof » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:40 pm

green ty wrote:I think the ads are because they anticipate an election. In Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Party (opposition) are running election style ads right now. They have no control over when the election is, but they anticipate an election soon.

The Conservatives would be fooloish to call an election right now considering they are even with the Liberals in the polls. Although, I guess they could be anticipating a rise in the polls after their budget.
Actually, Ty, I had a call a couple weeks back from a phone solicitor who was looking for a donation to the Federal Conservative Party in regards to the upcoming federal election. And for a $400 donation I could get a tax receipt back for $100 and I said, "No thanks." And then he asked me if I wanted to join the Federal Conservative Party for a minor sum of money and I said, "No thanks". And then he asked me if I would support Stephen Harper in the upcoming federal election and I said, "But of course".

Currently, I only belong to the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta and that was only so I could vote for the new leader last year. I paid my five bucks and, apparently, the PC Party of Alberta has now handed over their membership list to a telemarketing company in the name of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Things are a brewin'!

Hoof
GO TURD!!

green ty
Superstar

Post by green ty » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:50 am

Everyone knows there is an election coming. I am just saying that I find it much more likely that it will be caused by the opposition than the Conservatives. Now that I think about it though, I could see the Convervatives putting out an "election budget" and then calling an election to capitalize on it. Meh, who knows? We will find out soon.

I think that whoever causes the next election will be (somewhat) punished. Not too many people have an appetitie for another election right now.

Gerry
Champion

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:32 am

green ty wrote:Everyone knows there is an election coming. I am just saying that I find it much more likely that it will be caused by the opposition than the Conservatives. Now that I think about it though, I could see the Convervatives putting out an "election budget" and then calling an election to capitalize on it. Meh, who knows? We will find out soon.

I think that whoever causes the next election will be (somewhat) punished. Not too many people have an appetitie for another election right now.
I agree with you, ty. I can't see the upside in the Conservatives calling an election or "forcing" the opposition to bring the government down.

It would be logical for both the Liberals and the Conservatives to wait until such time that there was a clear advantage to one or the other. That is not the case right now. As you say, I don't see the public wanting an election right now either.

moisespoll
Playground Scrub

Re: The Environment, Politics, and the(upcoming)Federal Elec

Post by moisespoll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 am

For those who have been attentive, Harper has been imitating the current occupant of the White House, George W. Bush. But there is a story about the PM of Canada to blend well with the American leader, but most of this mix came from the left, which has ruled the country most of the last 40 years.

Gerry
Champion

Re: The Environment, Politics, and the(upcoming)Federal Elec

Post by Gerry » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 am

moisespoll wrote:For those who have been attentive, Harper has been imitating the current occupant of the White House, George W. Bush. But there is a story about the PM of Canada to blend well with the American leader, but most of this mix came from the left, which has ruled the country most of the last 40 years.
For those who have been attentive.... :rotf: