What's the Dumbest Conspiracy Theory You've Heard?

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Captain Canuck
Hall of Famer

Post by Captain Canuck » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:04 pm

I once heard someone say wrestling is fake.
"The CFL is fully committed to the Ottawa market. The franchise is not at risk. Ownership wants to do this right and we will be there to support them." Tom Wright, Nov 2005

Captain Canuck
Hall of Famer

Post by Captain Canuck » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

Seriously, one of the first that came to mid was the WTC one. And in some cases I can understand why there's some doubt there when you only get parts of the information, etc.

But the notion that George Bush would have been able to mastermind such a thing is less believable to me than an alien invasion.
"The CFL is fully committed to the Ottawa market. The franchise is not at risk. Ownership wants to do this right and we will be there to support them." Tom Wright, Nov 2005

HapDay
Champion

Post by HapDay » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:29 pm

Captain Canuck wrote:
But the notion that George Bush would have been able to mastermind such a thing is less believable to me than an alien invasion.
That's what makes the WTC conspiracy theories so laughable. Most of them come from people with severe cases of BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) who say Bush is an idiot, yet he masterminded 9/11? Which one is it people? I guess they need thicker tin foil to make their hats with...
"Do you think it's easy to make priorities?"

--Stephane "Celine" Dion

shanebratt
Starter

Post by shanebratt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:30 am

The one saying that the WTC was brought down by demolitions because "it fell as fast, or faster than free fall" has to take the cake. Seriously, do those people who advocate that have the ability to perform critical thinking at all? You can clearly see debris that fell away from the building falling faster than the building itself.

Example: http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/apri ... 406wtc.jpg

I mean it is obvious that the building cannot be collapsing at freefall speed just looking at that. If it was, all the debris that is falling to the side would be above the point that is currently collapsing, not below. Yet, these conspiracy theorists just eat whatever is fed to them without thinking about it one bit.

Stampman
Superstar

Post by Stampman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:13 pm

What gets me is the conspiracy theorists who act like experts and say--it couldn't have happened that way!

And we know that because they've had lots of opportunities to study planes crashing into buildings--as it's a fairly common occurance and so they have lots of data...

(That last sentnece should be read with tongue in cheek.)
Real men don't wear green...

Lionut
Superstar

Post by Lionut » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 am

Conspiracy theorists advocate theories that fit with their general world view. They want desperately to believe in the 9/11 conspiracy theory, so they attach themselves to any shred of "evidence" that backs them up, while ignoring or dismissing anything that contradicts their point of view. Popular Mechanics has already put out a very extensive layman's guide to how the WTC collapse happened, and by extention why all the conspiracy theories are complete and utter ca-ca. You have to hand it to 9/11 conspiracy theorists, though -- just like that whacko who disputes the moon landing, they are cheerfully undeterred by facts and reality.

I'm surprised no one referenced the Kennedy assassination yet. That has to be the most widely accepted conspiracy theory out there - the fact that there must have been a second gunman, and that Lee Harvey Oswald couldn't possibly have acted alone. There was a terrific book years ago, though, called, "Case Closed". It was written by Gerald Posner, a former Wall St. lawyer turned author who takes 624 pages to slowly, methodically, and efficiently shred every last one of the popularly accepted conspiracy theories out there.

In addition to shedding new light on Jim Garrison (the hero of Stone's movie, who in real life was a corrupt, publicity hungry SOB) and Jack Ruby, he also takes a hard, critical look at Oswald himself. Conspiracy theorists are so convinced that Oswald didn't do it that they fail to critically examine his background. Posner makes a pretty convincing case that Oswald did, in fact, act alone, and that the Warren Commission basically got it right. If you are into the Kennedy assassination at all, you owe it to yourself to read this book.

Of course, the conspiracy theorists went into a feeding frenzy after this book came out, trying to discredit Posner's writing, and Posner himself.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:31 am

Are there any good Canadian conspiracy theories (other than the old stand-by: Jake Ireland is out to get my team)? I can't think of any interesting ones off the top of my head.

Edit: I guess the Ben Johnson spiked water bottle would qualify as one. Any others?
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb

Lionut
Superstar

Post by Lionut » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:11 am

No, the Ben Johnson thing doesn't qualify. A conspiracy theory has to stem from a one time event, but every drug cheater in sports tries out some variation of that tired, "someone spiked my water" story. It's the sports equivalent of your teenager telling you, "they aren't my cigarettes -- I'm just holding them for a friend."

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:33 pm

The fake moon landing is the one I laugh at the most... That the Apollo moon landing & Neil Armstrong's subsequent walk on the surface was staged in a Hollywood movie lot...
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

HapDay
Champion

Post by HapDay » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Lionut wrote:If you are into the Kennedy assassination at all, you owe it to yourself to read this book.
Sounds like a good read, but how does he explain the "magic bullet" theory?
"Do you think it's easy to make priorities?"

--Stephane "Celine" Dion

Lionut
Superstar

Post by Lionut » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:52 pm

Here is Wiki's blurb on the magic bullet:

Discovery Channel's reenactment of bullet CE399's path

A Discovery Channel special Unsolved History: JFK — Beyond the Magic Bullet attempted to replicate, as well as possible, the conditions of that day. The participants set up blocks of ballistics gel with a substance similar to human bone inside. These studies showed that largely undeformed bullets were possible to produce, if they were slowed by a passage though a tissue-like substance before striking bone. Next, two mannequin figures made of ballistic anatomical substances (animal skin, gelatin, and interior bone-like cast) were set up in the exact relative position of JFK and Connally. A marksman, from a distance equal to that of the sixth floor of the book depository building, fired the same rifle model found in the Book Depository, using a round from the same batch of the same "Western Case Cartridge Company" 6.5x52 mm ammunition purchased with the surplus Carcano weapon in early 1963 (and three expended brass and one live round from which, had been found with the Carcano, in the book depository Nov. 22, 1963). The path of their single bullet (followed by high speed photography) duplicated, almost exactly, the wounds suffered by the victims that day, the only difference being that the bullet did not quite have enough energy to penetrate the "thigh" substance in front of the Connally figure, due to striking an extra bone in the "rib" model (i.e., it fractured 2 ribs in the model vs. one rib in Connally). It was also slightly more deformed than CE 399, possibly for the same reason. However, this bullet came close enough to duplicating all wounds in both men with a single shot, with a bullet having little deformation. Thus the theory, while technically improbable, was proved to be much more plausible than previously thought.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:34 pm

Weren't the Warren Commision's findings with names, places etc sealed for another 20 years to "protect" the people who might have been involved to make sure they were all dead so they couldn't be prosecuted??
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:17 am

In no particular order:

- planes that hit the WTC were using stealth technology (as in they were INVISIBLE)

- missle hit the Pentagon (this one is beyond LOL worthy)

- United 93 shot down by secret gubmint jet

- moon landing was faked

- lizard men in places of power

- flat earth

- hollow earth

- contrails from jets are actually mind controlling drugs

- the dangers of dihydrogen oxide

- hurricane Katrina was physically created/controlled by the gubmint (there's no WTF big enough for this one). By this I mean that they actually caused a hurricane to form, and then controlled its movements. Yeah.

argofan87
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argofan87 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:17 pm

The 9/11 conspiracies always piss me off, but I've found that they've spread farther than just the "conspiracy theorist" circles so to speak. Many, many people out there seem to accept that the U.S. (for some reason) decided to kill 3,000 people and destroy the WTC in NYC. These people will claim that their agenda is to provide people with the "truth," but I don't buy their bull**** for one second. It's the anti-US crowd creating this stuff, wanting to see the US fall. There are indeed people out there who would like nothing better to post the blame for 9/11 on the US and they already do that to a certain extent, but these conspiracy theorists take it one step forward.
Ummagumma

greengirl88
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by greengirl88 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Bushido wrote: - the dangers of dihydrogen oxide
:rotf: :rotf:

This one's a personal favourite of mine :beauty: (Us geeks in highschool used to use that to make fun of non-geeks...)
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1