Justin Trudeau, a quote that will haunt him.....

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

jaxon
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Justin Trudeau, a quote that will haunt him.....

Post by jaxon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Justin Trudeau says Canadians who don't learn a second language are "lazy"

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008 ... 75-cp.html

For the record, I think that being bi-lingual is a great skill, and one that I wish that I possessed. Unfortunately, it is not something that comes easily to me, nor to many other people. I really enjoy visiting Quebec. I made 3 trips there in 2007, and I've got at least 2 planned for this year. It is, however, a different environment than most other regions in Canada when it comes to language.

Calling unilingual Canadians "lazy" is a significant error. This is undoubtedly a quote that will haunt him if he wants to follow in his father's footsteps. It won't play well in most areas west of Ottawa........
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Two comments

1: I am shocked that a son of PET is pompous. Never saw that coming

2: In a way I agree with him. It is valuable in the world to know more than one language. So from a world perspective Canadians should drop the useless French language (in world business circles) and pair English with Spanish, Japanese or Chinese depending on where they want to do business.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:28 pm

I have one thing to say to Justin... "Fuddle Duddle"! :tease:
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 pm

I wouldn't call unilingual people "lazy" (not everyone grows up with the advantages young Trudeau had) but I'd call an education system that doesn't teach enough second/foreign languages "lacking."

Then again, I'm in the EFL/ESL business so I'm a bit biased that way.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Listen, our high schools don't even make Canadian history mandatory, so why the hell would kids want to learn a second language???

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 pm

iso_55 wrote:Listen, our high schools don't even make Canadian history mandatory, so why the hell would kids want to learn a second language???
So they can talk to the clerks at the grocery store (or their doctor, their neighbour, etc.)? :wink:

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 am

iso_55 wrote:Listen, our high schools don't even make Canadian history mandatory, so why the hell would kids want to learn a second language???
Oh I don't know Iso, why teach them anything at all? I mean why the hell would they want to?
Lest We Forget!

Lionut
Superstar

Post by Lionut » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:20 am

Ron wrote:Two comments

1: I am shocked that a son of PET is pompous. Never saw that coming
:beauty: How true is that!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:52 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Oh I don't know Iso, why teach them anything at all? I mean why the hell would they want to?
Most kids don't know who our first PM is. Sad.

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 am

iso_55 wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
OTOH - why does anyone need to know.

It is good to know How we became a country, but does who really matter?? Unless you going to be a history teacher, this knowledge is irrelevant.

I lkie Justin. I disagree with his comment, or rather I might say, so what if I am lazy that way, but I still respect him

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:39 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:
iso_55 wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
OTOH - why does anyone need to know.

It is good to know How we became a country, but does who really matter?? Unless you going to be a history teacher, this knowledge is irrelevant.

I lkie Justin. I disagree with his comment, or rather I might say, so what if I am lazy that way, but I still respect him
Nothing like knowing absolutely freaking nothing about your country, your heritage or your history...

nelson95
Rookie

Post by nelson95 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Learning a 2nd language may be the smartest thing anyone ever does.

I didn't

But I have a masters degree

but suck at XBOX
Give the ball to LEEEERoy!

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:24 am

iso_55 wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Many probably don't know who the current one is either but I often find people pick things up over time if they have the motivation and the interest. If they don't, no amount of schooling is likely to change it. History has a place in our lives but so do communication skills. One shouldn't be at the expense of the other. Extra language work I find often has a beneficial effect on one's own language, especially English which has all kinds of influences from other languages. The more you learn, the better off you are. It helps if what you are leaning can have real day to day relevancy but sometimes, it just don't happen. How many times have I had to use the calculus that I had to learn for physics in my life? Nada, but am I a little wiser for it. Sometimes that seemingly irrelevant learning can sometime have unexpected benefits in ways you never would have conceived.

PS, I like history far more than Physics and at one point in my early teens, I thought New Zealand was somewhere near Britain ( I have since brushed up my geography somewhat, now I know it is somewhere closer to Egypt :rotf: )
Lest We Forget!

Jim Mullin
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: Justin Trudeau, a quote that will haunt him.....

Post by Jim Mullin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:57 am

jaxon wrote:Justin Trudeau says Canadians who don't learn a second language are "lazy"

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008 ... 75-cp.html

For the record, I think that being bi-lingual is a great skill, and one that I wish that I possessed. Unfortunately, it is not something that comes easily to me, nor to many other people. I really enjoy visiting Quebec. I made 3 trips there in 2007, and I've got at least 2 planned for this year. It is, however, a different environment than most other regions in Canada when it comes to language.

Calling unilingual Canadians "lazy" is a significant error. This is undoubtedly a quote that will haunt him if he wants to follow in his father's footsteps. It won't play well in most areas west of Ottawa........
Tend to agree with you on this one. In fact the only time I seem to be able to understand French is when I'm in France.

It's not so much a question of lazy, but exposing kids to a second language when they start school.
"This isn't about your balls! You're hurtin' the team!" - Pinball Clemons

Marty_Gades
Superstar
Location: Gloucester Teams: Renegades, Senators, Blue Jays, Raptors, Bills

Post by Marty_Gades » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 am

I don't know how much things have changed, but the last year I needed to actually take Core French was grade 9, and I took it as an option in grade 10. That was about a dozen years ago. So French even then wasn't mandatory.

All that being said, yeah, Justin's comment was very dumb to make.
We'll be back. You'll see.