Homophobia

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sat May 31, 2008 1:49 pm

What exactly is it?

By strict literary definition, it is simply fear of homo(s, or sexuality). I know that many give it a broader meaning, but I will address that later. As to the fear, fear of what exactly? People have lots of different fears, yet this one specific fear is far more scorned that the rest? Why? We fear what we fear.

Since when does being afraid of something make one a bad person? I am afraid of being blind, or bedridden, or seriously painfull injured in an accident, etc. Am I to be scorned for this? How responsible are we for our fears? Do they defined the quality of our character?

If I beleive that homosexuality is not good for society, and\or I have religious beliefs that says our god does not approve of this lifestyle and activity, and if it stops there, then I simply have an opinion. That is not homophobic.

If I, while harbouring no ill feelings to homosexual people, feel that I must activily protest and speakout against social acceptance of homosexuality, then that is neither Hate, nor homophobia.

If at the same time, I am concerned, and even afraid that the increasing acceptance of homosexuality in our society is a bad thing, then I might be homophobic, but it doesnt make me evil, and its not something I should, or would, be ashamed of.

If I HATE or Mistreat, or am in favor of Mistreating the homosexual person, I am a bad person, homophobic or not. I beleive using the word homophobic to include this kind of attitude and behavior is wrong. I beleive that throwing out the word homophobic to anyone who express disapproval of homosexuality is either ignorant and\or phobic in itself. Sortof antihomo phobia.

For the record, I have pretty much described myself above, except for the last paragraph. I do disaprove of homosexuality, activity and lifestyle. I do mostly disaprove because I beleive God does. I do not however take active part in protesting or prevention. I do not Hate or advocate Mistreatment, public or privately. I may be slightly homophobic in the true sense of the word, which I am not ashamed of. However I am not homophobic in the broader sense of what people mean when they throw it out in such accusatory scorn.

I also beleive that when people just start throwing out the word homophobic that way, its because they havent got what it takes to come up with more inteligent and insightful points with which to address the discussion or issue.

So say KIAFYBALS.

p.s. I do freely admit to HomERphobia
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sat May 31, 2008 3:14 pm

??? not that it matters, but it this considered politics, or religion???

just askin

I was thinkin of it as more of a social\english lit topic.
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
Cool
Superstar
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:32 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Ajax

Re: Homophobia

Post by Cool » Sat May 31, 2008 7:04 pm

Uhh...
102

User avatar
Hoof
All Star
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:28 am
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders
Location: Cowtown

Re: Homophobia

Post by Hoof » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:53 am

FootbalYouBet wrote:What exactly is it?

By strict literary definition, it is simply fear of homo(s, or sexuality). I know that many give it a broader meaning, but I will address that later. As to the fear, fear of what exactly? People have lots of different fears, yet this one specific fear is far more scorned that the rest? Why? We fear what we fear.

Since when does being afraid of something make one a bad person? I am afraid of being blind, or bedridden, or seriously painfull injured in an accident, etc. Am I to be scorned for this? How responsible are we for our fears? Do they defined the quality of our character?

If I beleive that homosexuality is not good for society, and\or I have religious beliefs that says our god does not approve of this lifestyle and activity, and if it stops there, then I simply have an opinion. That is not homophobic.

If I, while harbouring no ill feelings to homosexual people, feel that I must activily protest and speakout against social acceptance of homosexuality, then that is neither Hate, nor homophobia.

If at the same time, I am concerned, and even afraid that the increasing acceptance of homosexuality in our society is a bad thing, then I might be homophobic, but it doesnt make me evil, and its not something I should, or would, be ashamed of.

If I HATE or Mistreat, or am in favor of Mistreating the homosexual person, I am a bad person, homophobic or not. I beleive using the word homophobic to include this kind of attitude and behavior is wrong. I beleive that throwing out the word homophobic to anyone who express disapproval of homosexuality is either ignorant and\or phobic in itself. Sortof antihomo phobia.

For the record, I have pretty much described myself above, except for the last paragraph. I do disaprove of homosexuality, activity and lifestyle. I do mostly disaprove because I beleive God does. I do not however take active part in protesting or prevention. I do not Hate or advocate Mistreatment, public or privately. I may be slightly homophobic in the true sense of the word, which I am not ashamed of. However I am not homophobic in the broader sense of what people mean when they throw it out in such accusatory scorn.

I also beleive that when people just start throwing out the word homophobic that way, its because they havent got what it takes to come up with more inteligent and insightful points with which to address the discussion or issue.

So say KIAFYBALS.

p.s. I do freely admit to HomERphobia
I agree with your rant. Clean up your spelling and diction and you make a pretty good case.

Homophobia is not a disease........it's a way of life.


Hoof
GO TURD!!

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 am

Hoof wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:What exactly is it? .....So say KIAFYBALS.

p.s. I do freely admit to HomERphobia
I agree with your rant. Clean up your spelling and diction and you make a pretty good case.

Homophobia is not a disease........it's a way of life.


Hoof
the older I get, the worse my spelling gets, and the lazier my proofreading. OTOH, I am not sure I ever understood "Diction"?? I never so much as passed grade 8 english, sigh
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 5559
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 8:58 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Homophobia

Post by cossack » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Does the word "diction" make you feel uneasy too? :lol:

Try rereading your statement with the word black or Jewish, in place of homosexual. Then switch homophobic with racist or anti-semetic.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:03 pm

cossack wrote:Does the word "diction" make you feel uneasy too? :lol:

Try rereading your statement with the word black or Jewish, in place of homosexual. Then switch homophobic with racist or anti-semetic.
homosexuality is a sin. Being black or jewish is not, though that may be a shock to some. These terms are not interchangable. Homophobic in the true sense of the word, is nothing like racist or anti-semitic. These terms are also not interchangable.

However, that does address part of my point, that people do spit out homophobic as if it was like being racist, and it just is not.
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 5559
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 8:58 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Homophobia

Post by cossack » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:
cossack wrote:Does the word "diction" make you feel uneasy too? :lol:

Try rereading your statement with the word black or Jewish, in place of homosexual. Then switch homophobic with racist or anti-semetic.
homosexuality is a sin. Being black or jewish is not, though that may be a shock to some. These terms are not interchangable. Homophobic in the true sense of the word, is nothing like racist or anti-semitic. These terms are also not interchangable.

However, that does address part of my point, that people do spit out homophobic as if it was like being racist, and it just is not.
Did you choose your religion or were you born that way?
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:44 pm

cossack wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:
cossack wrote:Does the word "diction" make you feel uneasy too? :lol:

Try rereading your statement with the word black or Jewish, in place of homosexual. Then switch homophobic with racist or anti-semetic.
homosexuality is a sin. Being black or jewish is not, though that may be a shock to some. These terms are not interchangable. Homophobic in the true sense of the word, is nothing like racist or anti-semitic. These terms are also not interchangable.

However, that does address part of my point, that people do spit out homophobic as if it was like being racist, and it just is not.
Did you choose your religion or were you born that way?
Thats a good question. Depends on how deep one wants to go with it. Simplest answer, is I chose it. However, my "religion", also says that God chose each of us, and it is for each of us to accept God in return. When I was 10, I was contemplating what little I heard of both the scriptures, and evolution, and decided that God of the bible was real. I just felt I knew it was so. Many would say that God himself Told me. I dunno. As to how I beleive, as in what church, what theology, etc. I think I chose that, but then again, maybe God had something to do with it.

If you are about to suggest that gay people are born that way, and\or God made them that way. I have discussed my thoughts on that elsewhere and perhaps you would like to check it out

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... torder=asc
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
Lionsfan73
All Star
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:24 am
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: Homophobia

Post by Lionsfan73 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17 am

The bible says a lot of silly things, including advocating slavery, making it a sin to do the following:
eat shellfish
Wear pants if you are female
work of any kind on Sunday
speak in church if you are female
eat or even touch pork
etc, etc, etc.

You could probably find a passage in the bible supporting or making just about anything a "sin". It doesnt mean you have a right to be ignorant or prejudice however.

User avatar
cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 5559
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 8:58 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Homophobia

Post by cossack » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:13 pm

You said that your religion teaches you that homosexuality is a sin. I'm sure that your religion also says that sex before marriage and *beep* are both considered sins. Are you equally uncomfortable about being around straight people who engage in those practices?

edit: the word that is beeped by the board word censor refers to pleasuring one self.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

User avatar
wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:04 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Evil Empire (Edmonton)
Contact:

Re: Homophobia

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:49 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:
cossack wrote:Does the word "diction" make you feel uneasy too? :lol:

Try rereading your statement with the word black or Jewish, in place of homosexual. Then switch homophobic with racist or anti-semetic.
homosexuality is a sin. Being black or jewish is not, though that may be a shock to some. These terms are not interchangable. Homophobic in the true sense of the word, is nothing like racist or anti-semitic. These terms are also not interchangable.

However, that does address part of my point, that people do spit out homophobic as if it was like being racist, and it just is not.
Is it? Sins are man's interpretation of what God has supposedly handed down, we all know man is prone to misinterpetation so I don't think we are in a position to determine if it is a sin. It is that higher power (if it exists) to make that decision not us mere (wo)men. By the way I don't recall anywhere in the 10 commandments Homosexuality being a sin. those are the only sins that are actually defined by "god" in the religious doctrine I have read, all others are man adding "sins".
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Tighthead
Starter
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Re: Homophobia

Post by Tighthead » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:09 pm

I know pride is one of the seven deadly sins, and I was taught that judging other people is prideful.

argolio
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6768
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:03 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Homophobia

Post by argolio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:49 pm

The true answer my friends can only be found here.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

User avatar
Cool
Superstar
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:32 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Ajax

Re: Homophobia

Post by Cool » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 am

argolio wrote:The true answer my friends can only be found here.
First good post in this thread...

:clap:
102

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest