Homophobia

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Homophobia

Post by T-Bone » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:57 am

FootbalYouBet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:a simple opinion that homsexuality is wrong, without any intention to promote or engage in any act of descrimination or abuse in any way, those who practice homosexuality, is not, in itself, a phobia in ANY sense of the word.
Ok. Why is homosexuality wrong?
this topic is about homophobia.

the right and wrong of homosexual lifestyle if for another thread.

I will say this and no more, just to answer your question, sort of.

I beleive it is wrong because, I beleive in the bible. I beleive the bible is the word of God, I beleive that the bible tells us that it is wrong, therefore I beleive that God tells us through the bible that it is wrong. I don't know completely why it God has decided it is wrong, except that our sexuality was designed for procreation and we were told to populate the planet and homosexuality has always worked against that. However, I am sure there is more to it.

Personally, I beleive there are now way too many people in the world and if I didnt have my christian beleifs, then I would be for anything that slows down population growth. However, my beleifs are what they are.

NOw, beleiving that homosexuality is a sin does not make me homophobic any more than believing adultery is a sin makes me uh.. adulterphobic(?). Let him who is without sin cast the first stone applies to those who practice homosexuality as well as those who engage in prostitution or adultery or any other sin. The homosexual is no worse or better a person than any other sinner, and since we all are sinners, well then we are all equal. NO phobia, just fact.

If you wish to debate my first paragraph, please cut and paste to a new topic. thank ya
You have an issue with the term homophobia so I found another term that describes your belief, heterosexism. That's all semantics though. Your statement that "homosexuality is wrong" whatever your intentions, is discriminatory. You're making a distinction between right and wrong. You're stating that homosexuality is wrong and heterosexuality is right based on justification that comes from the Bible that you admit to not fully understanding. However your belief is not fact as you claim.

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:44 am

T-Bone

People discriminate all the time. To discriminate is to see the differences, to make judgments based on facts or beliefs or personal prejudices. There's nothing wrong with any of that.

Discrimination is only wrong when you deny someone common respect or civil rights.

FYB is not denying anyone's rights, and I doubt that he would treat someone disrespectfully if he met them, gay or not. But he has the right to not like them for any reason he chooses. And that certainly is not a phobia.

Al
All Star
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:47 pm

Re: Homophobia

Post by Al » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:27 am

FootbalYouBet wrote: I beleive it is wrong because, I beleive in the bible. I beleive the bible is the word of God, I beleive that the bible tells us that it is wrong, therefore I beleive that God tells us through the bible that it is wrong. I don't know completely why it God has decided it is wrong, except that our sexuality was designed for procreation and we were told to populate the planet and homosexuality has always worked against that. However, I am sure there is more to it.
The bible also tell us

a) You must not plant 2 different crops in the dame field
b) you must not wear cloths of 2 different threads Doing so is punishable by stoning
c) working on the sabbath is punishable by death
D) owning slaves is acceptable
E) selling your daughter to slavery is also acceptable
F) you may not approach the alter of God if you have a defect in your sight!


If you live by one, you must live by all of them

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Homophobia

Post by T-Bone » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:21 am

Gerry wrote:T-Bone

People discriminate all the time. To discriminate is to see the differences, to make judgments based on facts or beliefs or personal prejudices. There's nothing wrong with any of that.

Discrimination is only wrong when you deny someone common respect or civil rights.

FYB is not denying anyone's rights, and I doubt that he would treat someone disrespectfully if he met them, gay or not. But he has the right to not like them for any reason he chooses. And that certainly is not a phobia.
Gerry how do you think a homosexual person would feel after reading this thread? Do you think they would feel respected? This is an open forum that can be viewed by anyone. Fact: Homosexuality exists. You can't prove it is right or wrong, it just is. I never claimed FYB is denying anyone's rights or that he wouldn't be respectful to a homosexual person if he meet one. However FYB is stating his belief that homosexuality is wrong as fact and that is wrong because beliefs are not facts.

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 am

T-Bone wrote:
Gerry wrote:T-Bone

People discriminate all the time. To discriminate is to see the differences, to make judgments based on facts or beliefs or personal prejudices. There's nothing wrong with any of that.

Discrimination is only wrong when you deny someone common respect or civil rights.

FYB is not denying anyone's rights, and I doubt that he would treat someone disrespectfully if he met them, gay or not. But he has the right to not like them for any reason he chooses. And that certainly is not a phobia.
Gerry how do you think a homosexual person would feel after reading this thread? Do you think they would feel respected? This is an open forum that can be viewed by anyone. Fact: Homosexuality exists. You can't prove it is right or wrong, it just is. I never claimed FYB is denying anyone's rights or that he wouldn't be respectful to a homosexual person if he meet one. However FYB is stating his belief that homosexuality is wrong as fact and that is wrong because beliefs are not facts.
You should read his post again. The only time FYB says that anything is a fact is when he says that we are are equal because we are all sinners. You can quibble with that if you like, but the fact is that the term he uses most in his post is "my belief".

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Homophobia

Post by T-Bone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am

Gerry wrote:You should read his post again. The only time FYB says that anything is a fact is when he says that we are are equal because we are all sinners. You can quibble with that if you like, but the fact is that the term he uses most in his post is "my belief".
Sin is not a fact, it is a religious belief. I'm curious what is your stance on gay marriage FYB?

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 am

T-Bone wrote:
Gerry wrote:You should read his post again. The only time FYB says that anything is a fact is when he says that we are are equal because we are all sinners. You can quibble with that if you like, but the fact is that the term he uses most in his post is "my belief".
Sin is not a fact, it is a religious belief. I'm curious what is your stance on gay marriage FYB?
I am curious that it isnt obvious to you. Homosexual lifestyle, or the practice of homosexuality, is the same, regardless of whether or not those who do so go through any kind of joining ceremony.

I don't know if I actually said this before, but the all inclusive statement, according to my bible based beleifs, is that any sexual activity outside the union of one man and one woman for life, is a sin.
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Homophobia

Post by T-Bone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 am

FootbalYouBet wrote:I am curious that it isnt obvious to you. Homosexual lifestyle, or the practice of homosexuality, is the same, regardless of whether or not those who do so go through any kind of joining ceremony.

I don't know if I actually said this before, but the all inclusive statement, according to my bible based beleifs, is that any sexual activity outside the union of one man and one woman for life, is a sin.
So you would vote against gay marriage then?

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 pm

T-Bone wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:I am curious that it isnt obvious to you. Homosexual lifestyle, or the practice of homosexuality, is the same, regardless of whether or not those who do so go through any kind of joining ceremony.

I don't know if I actually said this before, but the all inclusive statement, according to my bible based beleifs, is that any sexual activity outside the union of one man and one woman for life, is a sin.
So you would vote against gay marriage then?
I would vote against any church acceptance or recognition of it.

As far as society goes, "married" or not, still the same sin. So what the point of "Voting" against it. That would be like voting against society's acceptance of any sex that the bible indicates as sin. I wouldnt vote against society decriminalizing prostitution either, but thats another topic.
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Homophobia

Post by T-Bone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:I would vote against any church acceptance or recognition of it.

As far as society goes, "married" or not, still the same sin. So what the point of "Voting" against it. That would be like voting against society's acceptance of any sex that the bible indicates as sin. I wouldnt vote against society decriminalizing prostitution either, but thats another topic.
Well many churches have accepted it but my guess is you don't go to one of those churches. Like I said earlier you can't prove if homosexuality is right or wrong, the fact is it exists. I personally believe there is nothing wrong with it. It is a personal matter which doesn't effect me in anyway so who am I to say it is wrong. I believe we should all be so lucky to find someone that loves us for who we are. If two people of the same sex truly love each other then good for them. What I don't understand is if God created us in his own image then why does homosexuality exist in the first place, if God says it's wrong?

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 pm

T-Bone wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:I would vote against any church acceptance or recognition of it.

As far as society goes, "married" or not, still the same sin. So what the point of "Voting" against it. That would be like voting against society's acceptance of any sex that the bible indicates as sin. I wouldnt vote against society decriminalizing prostitution either, but thats another topic.
Well many churches have accepted it but my guess is you don't go to one of those churches. Like I said earlier you can't prove if homosexuality is right or wrong, the fact is it exists. I personally believe there is nothing wrong with it. It is a personal matter which doesn't effect me in anyway so who am I to say it is wrong. I believe we should all be so lucky to find someone that loves us for who we are. If two people of the same sex truly love each other then good for them. What I don't understand is if God created us in his own image then why does homosexuality exist in the first place, if God says it's wrong?
thats like asking, why is there murder, theivery, adultery, etc.
Don't confuse me with facts

Al
All Star
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:47 pm

Re: Homophobia

Post by Al » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:32 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote: that anything is a fact is w according to my bible based beleifs, is that any sexual activity outside the union of one man and one woman for life, is a sin.

And your bible also says.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and judge not lest ye be judged

User avatar
FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7994
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 am
Location: TELUS SUCKS COUNTRY

Re: Homophobia

Post by FootbalYouBet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Al wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote: that anything is a fact is w according to my bible based beleifs, is that any sexual activity outside the union of one man and one woman for life, is a sin.

And your bible also says.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and judge not lest ye be judged
As far as this discussion\topic goes, I have cast no stones and judged no one.

If I have judged at all, it is an activity. Yet even that is not my judgement but Gods, according to the bible I believe in.

and than is the point, or one of my points in my initial rant. I judge not therefore I am not phobic.

If it were not for my biblical beliefs, I would have no problem with homosexuality, except that I personally would not be interested.

I not only enjoy Eltons music, but I respect the man. Ellen is a good entertainer, and as far as I can see, a good person.

I have had many gay friends, male and female throughout my life. For a couple of yrs back in the 70s, a lesbian was one of my 4 best friends. IN fact, it really made my day one time when I introduced my lesbian friend to another friend who was a hooker. AS they walked down the street ahead of the rest of us, I heard my lesbian friend say that I was one of only 2 men in her life that she trusted, and my hooker friend respond similar. Phobia, not a chance. Just a bible based belief system
Don't confuse me with facts

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Homophobia

Post by T-Bone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:39 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote:I would vote against any church acceptance or recognition of it.

As far as society goes, "married" or not, still the same sin. So what the point of "Voting" against it. That would be like voting against society's acceptance of any sex that the bible indicates as sin. I wouldnt vote against society decriminalizing prostitution either, but thats another topic.
Well many churches have accepted it but my guess is you don't go to one of those churches. Like I said earlier you can't prove if homosexuality is right or wrong, the fact is it exists. I personally believe there is nothing wrong with it. It is a personal matter which doesn't effect me in anyway so who am I to say it is wrong. I believe we should all be so lucky to find someone that loves us for who we are. If two people of the same sex truly love each other then good for them. What I don't understand is if God created us in his own image then why does homosexuality exist in the first place, if God says it's wrong?
thats like asking, why is there murder, theivery, adultery, etc.
These things must exsist because God is capable of doing them himself and we are created in his image so that is why we are capable of these things. God does kill a lot of people in the Bible.

Al
All Star
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:47 pm

Re: Homophobia

Post by Al » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:
Al wrote:
FootbalYouBet wrote: that anything is a fact is w according to my bible based beleifs, is that any sexual activity outside the union of one man and one woman for life, is a sin.

And your bible also says.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and judge not lest ye be judged
As far as this discussion\topic goes, I have cast no stones and judged no one.
If you call someone a sinner, you have judged them.
I made a post on the previous page about other things that the bible forbids yet bible quoters always ignore them...You prob missed it. Check it out

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest