Homophobia

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
DaftHonk
Playground Scrub
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:07 pm
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Re: Homophobia

Post by DaftHonk » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:21 pm

"Once something is legal, it's no longer immoral" - Rev. Timothy Lovejoy

50% of marriages end in divorce. Is failure reserved only for heterosexuals?

Homophobia would literally mean the irrational fear of that which is the same or homogenous. Food for thought.

God can fight his own battles. Your duty as a Christian is to live your life according to God as written in the Bible. God will deal with the homosexuals. Remember, judge not lest ye be judged yourself. There are far more passages in the Bible decreeing that you love your fellow man than there are forbidding you to "love" your fellow man.

jay64
Rookie
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Moose Jaw, SK

Re: Homophobia

Post by jay64 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:04 am

Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:Actually , FYB asked this question on the CFL.ca site and it sparked quite the debate, with accusations flying back and forth. You can make statements that can be construed as homophobic, but all he really needed to do was this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homophobia
Those are such loose definitions that they mean nothing. A phobia is a fear. Most people referred to as being homophobic do not fear homosexuals.

That's rich. So most who are labelled as mysognists don't fear women then?
Aren't you confusing hate with fear? The two are not the same. They may both be present at the same time, but that would vary from person to person.

Actually, the fear manifests itself as hate... you certainly can have both. If you fear something , you can hate it, but OTOH, you can also fear something and respect it too. They are not the same, but both fear/hate and fear/love do go together. People love God, but aslo fear him(God fearing).. to me that is a phobia.
I would argue the opposite, that most who are labelled homophobic fear them on some level, and probably don't want to associate or be around them in general.
Again, you confuse fear with dislike. It is possible to dislike someone without fearing that person; in fact it is quite common.

No its not cofusing the two, fearing them and trying avoid your fear is just as common.
Their fear is largely baseless to start with, because most gays and lesbians are people that don't fit the stereotype. I know about this because I've encountered many same sex oriented people in my adult life. I don't fear, and in most cases have a lot of respect for them, because they are for the most part, the nicest people you could hope to meet. I have another story to put this into some prespective for you.
Your first sentence in this paragraph renders the remainder meaningless. You assume a fear where, for the majority, it does not exist.

I don't agree, most of the fear comes from an asinine assumption by heterosexuals that a homosexual will automatically hit on you. I have found that not to be the case at all. I also believe the fear is that some heteroes will actually be recpetive to a pass-- that is what many heteroes fear the most.
At my job, there was one woman who was a chronic alcoholic, and the most miserable person I have ever met. She had maybe one or two people who could tolerate her-- and she had an absolute hate for one her co-workers, who just happened to be a lesbian. Granted, this person is a little off the wall, but she is generally a good worker. The alcoholic woman berated her constantly and just had it in for the co-worker-- up until last week , when store management finally had enough of this person. She was sent home and told she would be called when they needed her. Last week the store manager phoned her and asked her to come in to have a talk- but she said she was busy, so he asked her to come in the next day and she said she couldn't come in that day either, so she was fired. Her irrational fear clouded her judgement-- and she paid the price for it. The lesbian woman is that way because of horrific abuse by a male in her life- she doesnt trust men and prefers the company of a woman. I don't know her whole story, but from what I have gathered, she must have been abused at an early age and often by a man or men in her childhood. Its too bad that some cowards have nothing better to do than to abuse kids and screw them up for life.
I'm not sure what your point is with this story, jay.

The point is that her phobia caused her to do irrational things, especially towards that co-worker. She was just absolutely mean to her, and it ultimately led to her firing.

The dictionary definition is very accurate, it may generalize, but speaking in generalities, a good portion of the public has homophobic tendencies-
And I say that it is not accurate at all. A phobia is an intense fear of something. Consider every other phobia, such as a fear of heights, or spiders, etc. People become irrationally panic stricken at the presence of whatever triggers the particular phobia they suffer from. Many people do not like spiders, for instance, but they don't suffer from arachnophobia.

There are many who do suffer from arachnophobia, and many who suffer from homophobia. The definition is clear, an irrational fear-- there are many who have that fear because they are truly ignorant of what it means to be gay/lesbian. Those who are not ingorant, dont have that phobia. If you face you fear , you conquer it. Many don't want to conquer their homophobia.
I see it quite often , and it truly amazes me how ignorant some people are on this issue.
So, anyone who makes a moral judgement that differs from yours is suffering from ignorance or a phobia, or both?

To quote you, "that's rich".[/
quote]

We could get into a whole other discussion of the part I bolded as to why christians or those who believe in God are ignorant of the facts about homosexuals and homosexuality. Just like other issues , they let others decide for them. In the post above this one, it is quite clear that this person cannot or won't make his own decision about this subject, so he/she is content to let God or some religious figure do that for him/her. It is why I truly believe that most religions are just glorified cults. If some Christians can rationally explain their opposition to homosexuality other than to say " because the Bible says its an abomination", then I will listen. I wont be holding my breath...

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:42 pm

jay64 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:Actually , FYB asked this question on the CFL.ca site and it sparked quite the debate, with accusations flying back and forth. You can make statements that can be construed as homophobic, but all he really needed to do was this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homophobia
Those are such loose definitions that they mean nothing. A phobia is a fear. Most people referred to as being homophobic do not fear homosexuals.
That's rich. So most who are labelled as mysognists don't fear women then?
Aren't you confusing hate with fear? The two are not the same. They may both be present at the same time, but that would vary from person to person.
Actually, the fear manifests itself as hate... you certainly can have both. If you fear something , you can hate it, but OTOH, you can also fear something and respect it too. They are not the same, but both fear/hate and fear/love do go together. People love God, but aslo fear him(God fearing).. to me that is a phobia.
Yes, you can have fear and hate or fear and love at the same time. That does not mean that if you have hate you also always have fear. But let's not talk generalities. We're discussing homophobia specifically. You cannot tell me that everyone generally labelled as being homophobic has an intense and irrational fear of homosexuals to compare with another phobia such as arachnophobia. Most people labelled as being homophobic just don't like homosexuals, or their sexual practices, or their political agendas. They don't fear them.
I would argue the opposite, that most who are labelled homophobic fear them on some level, and probably don't want to associate or be around them in general.
Leave off the first part of your definition and you're probably bang on.
Again, you confuse fear with dislike. It is possible to dislike someone without fearing that person; in fact it is quite common.

No its not cofusing the two, fearing them and trying avoid your fear is just as common.
Yes, jay, you did confuse the two and you are continuing to confuse them. Just because something might be does not mean that it is. Do you dislike anyone? Do you also fear them? I can easily come up with a short list of people that I dislike and don't want to be around. I do not fear them. I can also make a list of groups that I disagree with politically, groups that I dislike, yet I do not fear them.
Their fear is largely baseless to start with, because most gays and lesbians are people that don't fit the stereotype. I know about this because I've encountered many same sex oriented people in my adult life. I don't fear, and in most cases have a lot of respect for them, because they are for the most part, the nicest people you could hope to meet. I have another story to put this into some prespective for you.
Your first sentence in this paragraph renders the remainder meaningless. You assume a fear where, for the majority, it does not exist.

I don't agree, most of the fear comes from an asinine assumption by heterosexuals that a homosexual will automatically hit on you. I have found that not to be the case at all. I also believe the fear is that some heteroes will actually be recpetive to a pass-- that is what many heteroes fear the most.
You believe that, do you? That's funny.
At my job, there was one woman who was a chronic alcoholic, and the most miserable person I have ever met. She had maybe one or two people who could tolerate her-- and she had an absolute hate for one her co-workers, who just happened to be a lesbian. Granted, this person is a little off the wall, but she is generally a good worker. The alcoholic woman berated her constantly and just had it in for the co-worker-- up until last week , when store management finally had enough of this person. She was sent home and told she would be called when they needed her. Last week the store manager phoned her and asked her to come in to have a talk- but she said she was busy, so he asked her to come in the next day and she said she couldn't come in that day either, so she was fired. Her irrational fear clouded her judgement-- and she paid the price for it. The lesbian woman is that way because of horrific abuse by a male in her life- she doesnt trust men and prefers the company of a woman. I don't know her whole story, but from what I have gathered, she must have been abused at an early age and often by a man or men in her childhood. Its too bad that some cowards have nothing better to do than to abuse kids and screw them up for life.
I'm not sure what your point is with this story, jay.

The point is that her phobia caused her to do irrational things, especially towards that co-worker. She was just absolutely mean to her, and it ultimately led to her firing.
You've diagnosed this one person as having a phobia, and used it to illustrate something ?? but you haven't even established that she disliked the person because she was a lesbian. It sounds like the person in your example had some mental issues and the co-worker being lesbian may not even have had anything to do with it. You're quick to jump to conclusions, aren't you?
The dictionary definition is very accurate, it may generalize, but speaking in generalities, a good portion of the public has homophobic tendencies-
And I say that it is not accurate at all. A phobia is an intense fear of something. Consider every other phobia, such as a fear of heights, or spiders, etc. People become irrationally panic stricken at the presence of whatever triggers the particular phobia they suffer from. Many people do not like spiders, for instance, but they don't suffer from arachnophobia.

There are many who do suffer from arachnophobia, and many who suffer from homophobia. The definition is clear, an irrational fear-- there are many who have that fear because they are truly ignorant of what it means to be gay/lesbian. Those who are not ingorant, dont have that phobia. If you face you fear , you conquer it. Many don't want to conquer their homophobia.
Are you making a rebuttal, jay? I say that there are many people who do not like spiders but do not suffer from arachnophobia and you say that there are many who do suffer from arachnophobia. I guess that all depends on your definition of many. Let me be more exact. There are many more people who dislike spiders than suffer from arachnophobia. In fact, I'd say that arachnophobia is quite rare and a dislike of spiders is quite common. Get my point? You don't have to fear it to dislike it.

And how can anyone presume to not be ignorant of what it means to be gay or lesbian? What does it mean to be heterosexual, jay? I assume that you are heterosexual. What does that mean? Are we all the same? Are all gays or lesbians the same? How can you presume to know what it means to be someone else? Your argument borders on the ridiculous.
I see it quite often , and it truly amazes me how ignorant some people are on this issue.
Yes, I agree. Get a mirror.
[So, anyone who makes a moral judgement that differs from yours is suffering from ignorance or a phobia, or both?

To quote you, "that's rich".[/
quote]

We could get into a whole other discussion of the part I bolded as to why christians or those who believe in God are ignorant of the facts about homosexuals and homosexuality. Just like other issues , they let others decide for them. In the post above this one, it is quite clear that this person cannot or won't make his own decision about this subject, so he/she is content to let God or some religious figure do that for him/her. It is why I truly believe that most religions are just glorified cults. If some Christians can rationally explain their opposition to homosexuality other than to say " because the Bible says its an abomination", then I will listen. I wont be holding my breath...
You're quoting my post, presumably to make a rebuttal. I did not bring up God or religion, so why you bring it up, I don't know. But, I will say that your idea that anyone who "fears God" is suffering from a phobia is laughable. Start a thread on it if you like, since it's off topic here. I'd like to see you try to explain that peculiar notion.

jay64
Rookie
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Moose Jaw, SK

Re: Homophobia

Post by jay64 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Actually, I quoted it and put my part in red so it was easier to follow. As for the fact that I said people who fear God have a phobia, laugh if you like, but there people who so scared of going to "hell" that they twist His words and do irrational things. Call me crazy, but isn't what a phobia, in part, supposed to be? The fact I brough religion into it is very much on topic because its religion that perpetuates the fear and hatred of homosexuality. If you think that its worthy of a new thread then start it yourself, I'm sure it would be a very interesting topic of discussion.

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 am

jay64 wrote:Actually, I quoted it and put my part in red so it was easier to follow.
You quoted my post and I did not bring up God or religion at all. You did.
As for the fact that I said people who fear God have a phobia, laugh if you like, but there people who so scared of going to "hell" that they twist His words and do irrational things. Call me crazy, but isn't what a phobia, in part, supposed to be?
No. It is not. You're expanding and redefining what a phobia is. Why don't you just use the proper and strict definition of a word when you want to describe something?
The fact I brough religion into it is very much on topic because its religion that perpetuates the fear and hatred of homosexuality.
But we haven't agreed that people fear and hate homosexuals. That's what we're arguing about. The cause (religion, according to you) is a separate subject altogether if we ever agree that a phobia exists, at least to the broad terms that the term is being used.
If you think that its worthy of a new thread then start it yourself, I'm sure it would be a very interesting topic of discussion.
I'm not in the mood to start another thread on another contentious subject while I'm debating one already. I'm just saying that it's another topic altogether and you brought it up.

User avatar
wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:04 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Evil Empire (Edmonton)
Contact:

Re: Homophobia

Post by wildthing1971 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 am

DaftHonk wrote:"Once something is legal, it's no longer immoral" - Rev. Timothy Lovejoy

50% of marriages end in divorce. Is failure reserved only for heterosexuals?

Homophobia would literally mean the irrational fear of that which is the same or homogenous. Food for thought.

God can fight his own battles. Your duty as a Christian is to live your life according to God as written in the Bible. God will deal with the homosexuals. Remember, judge not lest ye be judged yourself. There are far more passages in the Bible decreeing that you love your fellow man than there are forbidding you to "love" your fellow man.
probably one of the most intellegent posts in this thread. All those judging the homosexuals are actually breaking their own religious doctrine ahh the hypocracy of organized religion
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:36 am

wildthing1971 wrote:
DaftHonk wrote:"Once something is legal, it's no longer immoral" - Rev. Timothy Lovejoy

50% of marriages end in divorce. Is failure reserved only for heterosexuals?

Homophobia would literally mean the irrational fear of that which is the same or homogenous. Food for thought.

God can fight his own battles. Your duty as a Christian is to live your life according to God as written in the Bible. God will deal with the homosexuals. Remember, judge not lest ye be judged yourself. There are far more passages in the Bible decreeing that you love your fellow man than there are forbidding you to "love" your fellow man.
probably one of the most intellegent posts in this thread. All those judging the homosexuals are actually breaking their own religious doctrine ahh the hypocracy of organized religion
"Judge not lest ye be judged" does not mean that we make no judgements. It means that we do not condemn or we may be condemned for something else that we do ourselves. You wouldn't advocate that we ignore crime, would you?

jay64
Rookie
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Moose Jaw, SK

Re: Homophobia

Post by jay64 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:Actually, I quoted it and put my part in red so it was easier to follow.
You quoted my post and I did not bring up God or religion at all. You did.

Im not sure what bringing up religion has to do with me putting my part in red, but suit yourself on that one
As for the fact that I said people who fear God have a phobia, laugh if you like, but there people who so scared of going to "hell" that they twist His words and do irrational things. Call me crazy, but isn't what a phobia, in part, supposed to be?
No. It is not. You're expanding and redefining what a phobia is. Why don't you just use the proper and strict definition of a word when you want to describe something?

You were the one who said that the words in the dictionary meant nothing, so you have left defining what homophobia is wide open.
The fact I brough religion into it is very much on topic because its religion that perpetuates the fear and hatred of homosexuality.
But we haven't agreed that people fear and hate homosexuals. That's what we're arguing about. The cause (religion, according to you) is a separate subject altogether if we ever agree that a phobia exists, at least to the broad terms that the term is being used.

Really, do you think that there aren't people who have a fear or hatred of homosexuals? You can go into the previous pages of this thread, or to FYB's post on this topic in the CFL.ca's off-topic section of their forum to find all kinds of people who hate or fear them. I do believe I said the religion perpetuates the fear , not that it causes it.
If you think that its worthy of a new thread then start it yourself, I'm sure it would be a very interesting topic of discussion.
I'm not in the mood to start another thread on another contentious subject while I'm debating one already. I'm just saying that it's another topic altogether and you brought it up.
Again, I said the religion perpetuates the fear, and not a cause. In that context, religion is more than fair game for this argument.

User avatar
wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:04 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Evil Empire (Edmonton)
Contact:

Re: Homophobia

Post by wildthing1971 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Gerry wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:
DaftHonk wrote:"Once something is legal, it's no longer immoral" - Rev. Timothy Lovejoy

50% of marriages end in divorce. Is failure reserved only for heterosexuals?

Homophobia would literally mean the irrational fear of that which is the same or homogenous. Food for thought.

God can fight his own battles. Your duty as a Christian is to live your life according to God as written in the Bible. God will deal with the homosexuals. Remember, judge not lest ye be judged yourself. There are far more passages in the Bible decreeing that you love your fellow man than there are forbidding you to "love" your fellow man.
probably one of the most intellegent posts in this thread. All those judging the homosexuals are actually breaking their own religious doctrine ahh the hypocracy of organized religion
"Judge not lest ye be judged" does not mean that we make no judgements. It means that we do not condemn or we may be condemned for something else that we do ourselves. You wouldn't advocate that we ignore crime, would you?
Last I checked homosexuality wasn't a crime and that is the context in which this thread is talking. No where am I advocating ignoring crime. But the christian religions preach tolerance of those that have other views than their own and but judging one based upon their sexual orientation where is the tolerance, it is hypocritical to say christians are tolerant when they walk around condemning an alternate choice in lifestyle. Was it not Jesus of which the Christian religons stemmed - that stepped in front of the woman that was about to be stoned to death and say let he who has not sinned cast the first stone of which everyone walked away because none could admit not having sinned in some way. Homosexuality in the Christian faith although a sin, shouldn't be judged by the mere mortals here only 1 power has the decision as to where it is right or wrong all others claiming to be good christians and then passing judgement on it are nothing more than hypocrits that hide behind religon to try and justify their stance, where is the tolerance that was taught?
Last edited by wildthing1971 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:00 am

jay64 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:Actually, I quoted it and put my part in red so it was easier to follow.
You quoted my post and I did not bring up God or religion at all. You did.

Im not sure what bringing up religion has to do with me putting my part in red, but suit yourself on that one
My point was that you did not quote me. I never commented on your choice of colour at all. Your method of reply does make it more difficult to respond using the quote feature though.
As for the fact that I said people who fear God have a phobia, laugh if you like, but there people who so scared of going to "hell" that they twist His words and do irrational things. Call me crazy, but isn't what a phobia, in part, supposed to be?
No. It is not. You're expanding and redefining what a phobia is. Why don't you just use the proper and strict definition of a word when you want to describe something?

You were the one who said that the words in the dictionary meant nothing, so you have left defining what homophobia is wide open.
I did not say that. I've been quite clear on how I see the word. You haven't responded to that at all. Look up the definition of phobia.
The fact I brough religion into it is very much on topic because its religion that perpetuates the fear and hatred of homosexuality.
But we haven't agreed that people fear and hate homosexuals. That's what we're arguing about. The cause (religion, according to you) is a separate subject altogether if we ever agree that a phobia exists, at least to the broad terms that the term is being used.

Really, do you think that there aren't people who have a fear or hatred of homosexuals? You can go into the previous pages of this thread, or to FYB's post on this topic in the CFL.ca's off-topic section of their forum to find all kinds of people who hate or fear them. I do believe I said the religion perpetuates the fear , not that it causes it.
Very well, perpetuates, rather than causes. It doesn't matter. You were responding to my post and you brought religion into it. That wasn't an issue at that point in the thread and made no counter-point to anything I said. That was my point.
If you think that its worthy of a new thread then start it yourself, I'm sure it would be a very interesting topic of discussion.
I'm not in the mood to start another thread on another contentious subject while I'm debating one already. I'm just saying that it's another topic altogether and you brought it up.
Again, I said the religion perpetuates the fear, and not a cause. In that context, religion is more than fair game for this argument.
You seem to have a difficult time following the discussion. The point of quoting someone is to offer a rebuttal if you disagree. You bringing religion into it does not do that. Get it?

jay64
Rookie
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Moose Jaw, SK

Re: Homophobia

Post by jay64 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 am

jay64 wrote:You were the one who said that the words in the dictionary meant nothing, so you have left defining what homophobia is wide open.
Gerry wrote:I did not say that. I've been quite clear on how I see the word. You haven't responded to that at all. Look up the definition of phobia.
You did not say that, eh? The next quote proves otherwise:
Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:Actually , FYB asked this question on the CFL.ca site and it sparked quite the debate, with accusations flying back and forth. You can make statements that can be construed as homophobic, but all he really needed to do was this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homophobia
Those are such loose definitions that they mean nothing. A phobia is a fear. Most people referred to as being homophobic do not fear homosexuals.
Not only did you say it, you left the definition wide open for anyone to interpret the definition as they see fit. My suggestion to you is to read the definition of phobia yourself, and then the definition of homophobia. Again, I brought religion into it, because they perpetuate people's hatred and fear of homosexuals, and they are fair game for this discussion. Rationalize what you said any way you want, but it is there for all to see.

Gerry
Champion
Posts: 3725
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Homophobia

Post by Gerry » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:03 pm

jay64 wrote:
jay64 wrote:You were the one who said that the words in the dictionary meant nothing, so you have left defining what homophobia is wide open.
Gerry wrote:I did not say that. I've been quite clear on how I see the word. You haven't responded to that at all. Look up the definition of phobia.
You did not say that, eh? The next quote proves otherwise:
Gerry wrote:
jay64 wrote:Actually , FYB asked this question on the CFL.ca site and it sparked quite the debate, with accusations flying back and forth. You can make statements that can be construed as homophobic, but all he really needed to do was this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homophobia
Those are such loose definitions that they mean nothing. A phobia is a fear. Most people referred to as being homophobic do not fear homosexuals.
Not only did you say it, you left the definition wide open for anyone to interpret the definition as they see fit. My suggestion to you is to read the definition of phobia yourself, and then the definition of homophobia. Again, I brought religion into it, because they perpetuate people's hatred and fear of homosexuals, and they are fair game for this discussion. Rationalize what you said any way you want, but it is there for all to see.
Jay, if you go back through the thread you will see that I made the point of what a phobia is, independent of the prefix, whether that be arachno-, homo-, trixadexa- (I think). I make the argument that all of those should mean the same thing, excepting that each specifies the object that one is in fear of. I realize that words change and that people add meaning to them. According to the sources you provide, homophobia can mean to dislike homosexuals, not necessarily fear them, and that is why I say that that term is so broad that you loose the definition of phobia. I think you know what I meant but would rather tar a broader group with your politically correct brush.

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Re: Homophobia

Post by greengirl88 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:But the christian religions preach tolerance of those that have other views than their own and but judging one based upon their sexual orientation where is the tolerance, it is hypocritical to say christians are tolerant when they walk around condemning an alternate choice in lifestyle. Was it not Jesus of which the Christian religons stemmed - that stepped in front of the woman that was about to be stoned to death and say let he who has not sinned cast the first stone of which everyone walked away because none could admit not having sinned in some way. Homosexuality in the Christian faith although a sin, shouldn't be judged by the mere mortals here only 1 power has the decision as to where it is right or wrong all others claiming to be good christians and then passing judgement on it are nothing more than hypocrites that hide behind religon to try and justify their stance, where is the tolerance that was taught?
:whs:

From what I understand, a Christian should love. Period. Live a good, moral life as to your beliefs, but primarily love. What is the verse, I heard it at a wedding this weekend, something along the lines of "if I have faith to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing." Enforcing your beliefs on someone is not loving them. I'm not saying you shouldn't let people know what you believe, and there are certain things that obviously we enforce on people - don't murder, steal, etc. But, while I am not a big fan of political correctness, enforcing beliefs that a large majority of the population does not hold on the entire population is just wrong (there may be exceptions to this that I can't think of, but as a general rule I believe it to be true), particularly when these beliefs would outlaw people from doing things that don't infringe on the rights or lives of someone else.

'Course, that's just my :2: ... :beer:
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

User avatar
Bushido
Champion
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Homophobia

Post by Bushido » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:00 pm

A few years ago my friend and I were looking through the magazine section at a McNally Robinson bookstore. My friend, who had just converted to 7th Day Adventism because of his wife (for the record I'm Lutheran so I'm not anti-religious or anything), said when pointing to a gay lifestyle magazine, "Now that I'm religious I can speak out against this kind of thing." It floored me because I had never heard him talk that way before. It's something that bothered me then and it still bothers me to this day. Using religion as hatred is never a good thing. I have a cousin that married another woman. They adopted a young boy and the two are happily in love. Almost all of the family (and I mean extended, not just immediate) turned against them. It broke my heart because she's a good person and most of the reasons against her decision were religious, "The Bible says..." yada yada yada. Yeah, well the Bible says a LOT of things. (I brought up that last statement with my mother when my cousin's lifestyle choice was first revealed; it was a true "checkmate" moment because she didn't have an answer)

Eventually they were more or less "accepted" by the family but I haven't been able to forgive most of my family members for the initial treatment of her. It's not like she became a Klan member or a Nazi or started drowning kittens.

User avatar
greengirl88
Superstar
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:07 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders
Location: Bombers territory
Contact:

Re: Homophobia

Post by greengirl88 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:57 pm

That's so sad. My favourite of my Dad's cousins is gay, he was like an uncle to me when I was younger (I don't see him that often now but I still look forward to the times I do!), and if my family had decided that we had to shun him or anything I wouldn't have had that great relationship with him that I still cherish.
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest