Carbon Tax

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

argolio
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6768
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:03 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by argolio » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm

Terencius1 wrote:
argolio wrote:I could see the embargo being lifted, but Fidel would probably have to kick the bucket first.

As for comparing Alberta and Cuba, at least Alberta has had political choices, regardless if you haven't liked the ones Albertans have made. The fact that Cuba's prisons are still filled with way too many political prisoners makes it a no contest when comparing political freedoms on that issue alone. People are still trying to get out of Cuba, not the other way around.

On Fidel- I agree! Surprise

On Political choices, true to an extent, I don't buy the allegation that the majority in Cuban prisons are "political". I would assume that the Majority of Prisoners committed the same crimes as those in Canadian prisons.

Alberta is free to make it's own choices and NO, I don't always agree with them. It is the longevity of the governing party that I disagree with. Much like Federal liberals, they have a "culture of entitlement". However, Albertan's made it's decisions with less than 55% of the voting public actually voting, in the last election. Because there was NO alternative, which in the long run, is bad for democracy in general.

Cuba has elections as well, between different factions of the governing party. Candidates were campaigning while I was there.

As for political prisoners, and it's difficult to compare a country with a province, except in general terms. What is the difference between a political prisoner in Cuba, and the detainees in Guantanimo? Both are HELD for political reasons, correct?
Okay, but we were comparing Alberta and Cuba. There are no (alleged) terrorists being held indefinitely in Alberta, and Alberta jails aren't filled with people whose only "crime" is being publicly critical of the leader and his regime.

How can elections and campaigning involving only the governing party ever be considered legitimate?

I agree that one party in office so that long is not good for democracy. I know I could never vote for the same party that many times in a row but if the people aren't buying what the opposition is selling, what can anyone really do about it?
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

User avatar
Terencius1
All Star
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by Terencius1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 pm

argolio wrote:
Terencius1 wrote:
argolio wrote:I could see the embargo being lifted, but Fidel would probably have to kick the bucket first.

As for comparing Alberta and Cuba, at least Alberta has had political choices, regardless if you haven't liked the ones Albertans have made. The fact that Cuba's prisons are still filled with way too many political prisoners makes it a no contest when comparing political freedoms on that issue alone. People are still trying to get out of Cuba, not the other way around.

On Fidel- I agree! Surprise

On Political choices, true to an extent, I don't buy the allegation that the majority in Cuban prisons are "political". I would assume that the Majority of Prisoners committed the same crimes as those in Canadian prisons.

Alberta is free to make it's own choices and NO, I don't always agree with them. It is the longevity of the governing party that I disagree with. Much like Federal liberals, they have a "culture of entitlement". However, Albertan's made it's decisions with less than 55% of the voting public actually voting, in the last election. Because there was NO alternative, which in the long run, is bad for democracy in general.

Cuba has elections as well, between different factions of the governing party. Candidates were campaigning while I was there.

As for political prisoners, and it's difficult to compare a country with a province, except in general terms. What is the difference between a political prisoner in Cuba, and the detainees in Guantanimo? Both are HELD for political reasons, correct?
Okay, but we were comparing Alberta and Cuba. There are no (alleged) terrorists being held indefinitely in Alberta, and Alberta jails aren't filled with people whose only "crime" is being publicly critical of the leader and his regime.

How can elections and campaigning involving only the governing party ever be considered legitimate?

I agree that one party in office so that long is not good for democracy. I know I could never vote for the same party that many times in a row but if the people aren't buying what the opposition is selling, what can anyone really do about it?

Concerning the elections in Cuba, there were lots of candidates in the running, Since I don't speak Spanish nor read it, I don't know if they were from the same party. But, there was a choice to be made by the voters.


Concerning political prisoners, country to country, Canada has a well established, rule of law and a Charter of Rights and freemdoms. CUBA doesn't.

That being said, what is the difference between a political prisoner in Guantaimo being held by the United States and a political prisoner in Cuba? Both are being held in the same country.

On Alberta elections, (nay, Coronations)

and I agree, if the people aren't buying what the opposition is selling, it makes it difficult for democracy.
And in reality it amounts to the same system as CUBA, where only the governing party can get elected.
However, political dynasties inevitably come to an end. Albertans can and will make that choice sooner.......... or later. ( I blame the Albertan Education system, actually ):rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by iso_55 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:47 am

I went thru a time warp... Spock & Kirk voted Tory.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

User avatar
MacNews
Starter
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:24 am
Location: 2010 Vancouver
Contact:

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by MacNews » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Terencius1 wrote:Concerning the elections in Cuba, there were lots of candidates in the running, Since I don't speak Spanish nor read it, I don't know if they were from the same party. But, there was a choice to be made by the voters.
I visited Cuba in 2006, and was able to talk a little bit of politics with my tour-guide.

You are right Terencius1, they do have choices.

The choices are:

1) Communist Party
2) Communist Party
3) Communist Party

The best part is, no matter which party is elected, Fidel, and now Raul, always end up becoming the President!

User avatar
Terencius1
All Star
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by Terencius1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:30 pm

MacNews wrote:
Terencius1 wrote:Concerning the elections in Cuba, there were lots of candidates in the running, Since I don't speak Spanish nor read it, I don't know if they were from the same party. But, there was a choice to be made by the voters.
I visited Cuba in 2006, and was able to talk a little bit of politics with my tour-guide.

You are right Terencius1, they do have choices.

The choices are:

1) Communist Party
2) Communist Party
3) Communist Party

The best part is, no matter which party is elected, Fidel, and now Raul, always end up becoming the President!
So what?
No matter who is elected as the leader of the Conservatives in Alberta, will be elected.
Steady Eddie just proved that. The voters had a choice, just like in Cuba.
Fidel begate Raul. just like lougheed begate getty,begate ralphy,begate steady Eddie.

Perhaps one should re-read my earlier posts. There are factions within the Communist party, much like the conservative paty in Alberta, that want to move to the right, in cuba's case, and to the left in Alberta's case.

Are they Conservative, you bethcha
Are they Communist, your Betcha.

They will be any label you apply to them in order to make things better for there voters.

My long point is change is a good thing, particularly governments, in Canada's case. In Cuba, one has to work the system, and change is happening.

moisespoll
Playground Scrub
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:43 am

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by moisespoll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

The logic of a carbon tax on imported products, designed by the West is to create conditions of equality in its society, which are subject to more stringent environmental laws and corporate competitors.

Kevin Marshall
Playground Scrub
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 am

Re: Carbon Tax

Post by Kevin Marshall » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 am

A carbon tax is a tax levied on the environmental content of carbon atoms fuels.Carbon are present in all fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas) and is released as carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. In contrast, nuclear non-combustion sources-wind, solar, hydro, and not to convert hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide. A carbon tax can be implemented by taxing the burning of fossil fuels, coal, petroleum products like gasoline and kerosene and natural gas in proportion to their carbon content. Therefore, a carbon tax increases the competitiveness of non-carbon technologies on the burning of traditional fossil fuels, thus helping to protect the environment while increasing revenues.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest