AHEM!!!!!!

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Al
All Star

AHEM!!!!!!

Post by Al » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Al wrote: There is collusion now as they all get together and raise the price at exactly the same time!
Gas stations do not raise (or lower) their prices by exactly the same amount at exactly the same time. They are aways bopping prices up and down by a few cents based on what the other stations are doing. Prices vary from one part of town to another as a result.
As per XXXX excellent post, collusion among oil retailers has been disproved on many occasions. Prices go up and down based on supply and demand and what the market will bear.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories
Gasoline retailers in four Quebec regions have been accused of price fixing, the federal Competition Bureau announced Thursday.

Former Ultramar employee Jacques Ouellet also pleaded guilty and was fined $50,000.

The investigation began two years ago.

"Gas retailers phoned each other to agree on the price they would charge customers for gasoline," Scott said. "An overwhelming majority of retailers (in those regions) participated."
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/442338
Three companies and one individual pleaded guilty to the charges today in Quebec Superior Court in Victoriaville. The companies, which include Ultramar Ltd., were fined a total of $2 million.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Re: AHEM!!!!!!

Post by Dave in Korea » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:19 pm

Goes to show the RCMP and gov't were working to nab these guys all along! :wink:

Welcome back, Al. The place hasn't been the same without you. :popcorn:
Dream out loud.

Al
All Star

Re: AHEM!!!!!!

Post by Al » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Just like when I made the origional post....I dont expect any of those who told me I didnt know what I was talking about to admit they were wrong....but what the heck

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local ... ntrealHome
Updated: Fri Jan. 27 2012 6:56:56 PM

ctvmontreal.ca

Seven people have pleaded guilty to conspiring to fix gas prices in Thetford Mines.

Two people who pleaded guilty are managers employed by Sonic, and were fined $3,000 and $4,000.

The other five people who admitted guilt are owners of Shell and Esso stations. Each was fined $5,000.

The cases began in 2008, when 38 individuals and 14 companies were charged with fixing the price of gas at in Thetford Mines, Victoriaville, Magog and Sherbrooke.

To date 21 people and six companies have been found guilty and fines of almost $3 million have been handed out.

Six people have received jail terms.