18 Newly Minted Tory Senators Appointed.

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Terencius1
All Star
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

18 Newly Minted Tory Senators Appointed.

Post by Terencius1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:33 pm

:wink: I used to be ticked at Prime Minister Harper. Now, I am really P.O.ed. he didn't even have the common courtesy to

PICK ME for the Vacant Saskatchewan Seat in the Senate.

He gave it to that Shameless Hussy, Pamela Wallin. Former Broadcaster, Agent General in New York, and Advisor in Canadian American Relations. PFFFT. He Could have rewarded me, with my LONG sought after Senate seat, that Has my name on it. Hell, I could live with an Elected Senate, I would rather abolish the place, but for $130,400 a year plus expenses, and travel, I could modify by principles.

I see, Hoof Failed to make it to the Senate too, Damm that Harper! :x

Hell, Hoof is a tory and probably deserves the appointment more, but Alas, no Senate vacancy in Alberta.

I would have MADE history as the first NDP senator, appointed in the spirit if Non -partisanship....... Ya right, we are talking about Steven Harper......... but NOOOOO, Steven had to appoint some partisan flack that doesn't even live in Saskatchewan anymore! :x

green ty
Superstar

Re: 18 Newly Minted Tory Senators Appointed.

Post by green ty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:42 pm

:x Get in line.

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:37 pm

OTOH, 3 cheers for Nancy. :clap: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Don't confuse me with facts

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:56 pm

harper just showed everyone what a real c*** he is.

its clear to me that he did this only to stop elizbeth may, the green party leader, from getting a seat in the senate, as the coalition promised her if they get a goverment. Its a very despicable low blow agaist the opposition, and will only seal his fate come the 26th

all isnt lost for May thur, another senate seat from nova scotia will be open in march, so their is still hope for her yet.

and please nobody try to tell me harper did this for any other reason, cuz we all know he hates the senate, annd if he could he would elimanate it.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Kanga-Kucha wrote:harper just showed everyone what a real c*** he is.

its clear to me that he did this only to stop elizbeth may, the green party leader, from getting a seat in the senate, as the coalition promised her if they get a goverment. Its a very despicable low blow agaist the opposition, and will only seal his fate come the 26th

all isnt lost for May thur, another senate seat from nova scotia will be open in march, so their is still hope for her yet.

and please nobody try to tell me harper did this for any other reason, cuz we all know he hates the senate, annd if he could he would elimanate it.
He wouldn't eliminate it - he would make it elected if he could...Which is the ideal situation...Funny that you blast Harper for doing the same thing that a number of Liberal PM's have done including Martin when he was a leader of a minority government...

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Lerriuqs wrote:

He wouldn't eliminate it - he would make it elected if he could...Which is the ideal situation...Funny that you blast Harper for doing the same thing that a number of Liberal PM's have done including Martin when he was a leader of a minority government...
well mate, you cant blame me for making the connection, the coalition offers May a seat, then Harper fills up the senate after parliment gets suspended.

and I agree, the senate needs refrom, its needs to be equal and effictive, but i'd rather the provinces decide how to pick their senators, elected directly, picked by the governor or by the legesators, etc.

I think he will live to regret it come the 26th.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Kanga-Kucha wrote:
Lerriuqs wrote:

well mate, you cant blame me for making the connection, the coalition offers May a seat, then Harper fills up the senate after parliment gets suspended.

and I agree, the senate needs refrom, its needs to be equal and effictive, but i'd rather the provinces decide how to pick their senators, elected directly, picked by the governor or by the legesators, etc.

he won't. The Lib leader is too smart to oust Harper now.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Ron wrote:
Kanga-Kucha wrote:
Lerriuqs wrote:

we saw see, even if we get a new tory pm, as long as it isnt Harper, our the canadian nixon.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 pm

I don't think this will be a deal breaker for Harper. He still doesn't have a majority in the Senate and until he does, he won't be able to reform it . Until then, all you have is the rules that are in force now. I can't see any political party standing around and not filling those Senate seats especially when there is a real chance that the opposition might have a an opportunity to fill them making your long term goal even harder. Those Senators will be around after Harper and his cronies are gone likely and still provide the best chance of Senate reform. Frankly even if senate reform does happen, all you will do is shift the patronage to the provincial level which is still largely a left/right split. It won't likely change a thing. Even if elected by the public, I can't really see that being effective. People tend to vote for party affiliation, not candidate abilities. Can you see Alberta, for example, ever nominating a Liberal leaning Senator?
Lest We Forget!

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:19 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:I don't think this will be a deal breaker for Harper. He still doesn't have a majority in the Senate and until he does, he won't be able to reform it . Until then, all you have is the rules that are in force now. I can't see any political party standing around and not filling those Senate seats especially when there is a real chance that the opposition might have a an opportunity to fill them making your long term goal even harder. Those Senators will be around after Harper and his cronies are gone likely and still provide the best chance of Senate reform. Frankly even if senate reform does happen, all you will do is shift the patronage to the provincial level which is still largely a left/right split. It won't likely change a thing. Even if elected by the public, I can't really see that being effective. People tend to vote for party affiliation, not candidate abilities. Can you see Alberta, for example, ever nominating a Liberal leaning Senator?
yeah dont see that happening anytime soon, and Quebec would liklly vote in the bloc to the senate.

what would be good is to hav a member of the frist nations party be voted in as a senator, i know nunavut nor any of the terrotioes hav repesentation in the senate, but it would be nice to hav some native representation in the parliment.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 am

Lerriuqs wrote:

going back to that for I sec, I'd like to point out that not all of Martin's picks were Liberal, as he did pick the frist ever NDP senator, although I am ashamed to admit that the NDP doesnt ever reconise her as part of the party, as they want to abolish the senate complety.

if there is one thing that will make me spit from the NDP and be indepedent, its this issue with the senate, as I see it as a way to slove the unity issues with the nation., while they see it as a relic that needs to be elimanated.

in any case, not all of martin's picks were liberal, and had harper made May a senator he would hav done two things, one hurt the coalition (as the greens would not likly support it, and back the tories, while the greens are out of parliement, they do hav a medium size following), two give the apperance that they care for green issues and give the tory's green agenda more legetimacy.

I thing that really gets me bout this whole thing is how bitter and arrogant harper is, even snice the election a few months ago, he has ruled like he has a majority, and the reality is, he doesnt, thats why the left are on the attack. He should have played it safe, he hasnt, and therefore imo he should go.

game over.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Kanga-Kucha wrote:
Ron wrote:
Kanga-Kucha wrote:
Lerriuqs wrote:

we saw see, even if we get a new tory pm, as long as it isnt Harper, our the canadian nixon.
That's pretty much slander right there - when did Harper do anything illegal?

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:15 pm

many people are starting to make that connection, I'd like to create a new treand where I can go into that in more detail.

cheers/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35229
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?