If you were back in Biblical times ...

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Rids
Superstar

Re: If you were back in Biblical times ...

Post by Rids » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:00 am

wildthing1971 wrote:
Rids wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:probably would ask him to get out of the way since he is not the court of law in the land and let the punishment the law set forth be done.
And what? Let the Law hand out a weak sentence and follow that up by releasing those convicted once they reach a 1/3 of the already weak sentence served?

Or let an individual with 31 charges against them out on bail to kill 3 individuals (New Years Day in Calgary).
Well I am wondering if you don't understand the law in biblical times.

Because the stoning would have been happening by decree of the law. So that shoots most of your post to heck.
Except the part where there's no repeat offenders for serious crimes. Also to modernize things if somebody wrecked your car they would have to replace it. Seems like it makes sense to me.

What I don't understand is supporting our current system that has a ton of flaws due to circumstance. Especially in the Calgary case where the judge says it's not his fault that he allowed this gang banger back on the streets with a minimal bail. Or any time you have a sex offender released along with the public warning that they are a high risk to re-offend. Does that make any sense to anyone??
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:31 am

funny, I thought this was supposed to be a spiritual\moral thread. go figure :wink:
Don't confuse me with facts

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Rids wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:
Rids wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:probably would ask him to get out of the way since he is not the court of law in the land and let the punishment the law set forth be done.
And what? Let the Law hand out a weak sentence and follow that up by releasing those convicted once they reach a 1/3 of the already weak sentence served?

Or let an individual with 31 charges against them out on bail to kill 3 individuals (New Years Day in Calgary).
Well I am wondering if you don't understand the law in biblical times.

Because the stoning would have been happening by decree of the law. So that shoots most of your post to heck.
Except the part where there's no repeat offenders for serious crimes. Also to modernize things if somebody wrecked your car they would have to replace it. Seems like it makes sense to me.

What I don't understand is supporting our current system that has a ton of flaws due to circumstance. Especially in the Calgary case where the judge says it's not his fault that he allowed this gang banger back on the streets with a minimal bail. Or any time you have a sex offender released along with the public warning that they are a high risk to re-offend. Does that make any sense to anyone??
the current system is flawed, I don't think anyione is arguing that it isn't. You are trying to draw modern law context against historical law context.

The system in which a stoning is decreed is far different than today almost like comparing apples and oranges so I am not sure what you are getting at. I am not supporting the weak system we have now, nowhere did my answer say that. My answer told Jesus to back off as he has no power as an individual, in biblical times to overturn the sentence set out but his lawmakers.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by prairiedog » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:
the current system is flawed, I don't think anyione is arguing that it isn't. You are trying to draw modern law context against historical law context.

The system in which a stoning is decreed is far different than today almost like comparing apples and oranges so I am not sure what you are getting at. I am not supporting the weak system we have now, nowhere did my answer say that. My answer told Jesus to back off as he has no power as an individual, in biblical times to overturn the sentence set out but his lawmakers.
And presuming that by "his lawmakers" you mean the government of the land at that time, what makes those men "his" lawmakers?
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer

Post by wildthing1971 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:28 am

prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:

And presuming that by "his lawmakers" you mean the government of the land at that time, what makes those men "his" lawmakers?
In that day whoever had the military power was the lawmaker. Romans had the the military so they wer ethe lawmakers, and they even allowed the local religious leaders power to make court decisions.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by prairiedog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:19 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:

In that day whoever had the military power was the lawmaker. Romans had the the military so they wer ethe lawmakers, and they even allowed the local religious leaders power to make court decisions.
And which law did these lawmakers decree that said Jesus had no right to speak his mind?
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer

Post by wildthing1971 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am

prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:

And which law did these lawmakers decree that said Jesus had no right to speak his mind?
pretty well all of them. Had he actually done that in those times, he would have been stoned right along side the other person. Thats the joy of the stories in the bible, they are just stories attempting to present a specific moral ground.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 am

wildthing1971 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:

pretty well all of them. Had he actually done that in those times, he would have been stoned right along side the other person. Thats the joy of the stories in the bible, they are just stories attempting to present a specific moral ground.
It wasn't Roman Law. It was the Biblical Jewish Law. And since JC was seen as a Rabbi ... he could have interrupted.

BTW: As I read this thread it came to me that this was the first intervention. JC confronted Mary and her enablers and prevented her from getting stoned.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by prairiedog » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:39 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:

And what justifies those laws, or any law for that matter, to stone a man for speaking his mind?
heh

greengirl88
Superstar

Post by greengirl88 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:30 am

Ron wrote: BTW: As I read this thread it came to me that this was the first intervention. JC confronted Mary and her enablers and prevented her from getting stoned.
:rotf: :beauty:
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

greengirl88
Superstar

Post by greengirl88 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:42 am

Ron wrote:... and you were there when Jesus said "Ye without sin cast the first stone."

Would you have

a) Cast the first stone?

b) Walk away and not throw?

c) Tell Jesus to hurry up and throw the first stone so we can get on with it?
To go back to the beginning on this one... nice question. It made me laugh and think all at once, my favourite kind!

In seriousness, I'd probably walk away and not throw, not necessarily out of a truly humble acknowledgement of my sin (which I like to believe I could), but more likely just because I wouldn't feel like confronting anyone about it or whatever. Too much effort... stoning's aren't my thing anyway, let's catch a play...
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:39 pm

Ron wrote:... and you were there when Jesus said "Ye without sin cast the first stone."

Would you have

a) Cast the first stone?

b) Walk away and not throw?

c) Tell Jesus to hurry up and throw the first stone so we can get on with it?
If I were a local resident back in biblical times I'd likely be a dumb, ignorant peasant who was extremely fearful of my rabbi and whoever was the occupying power at the time.
Knowing that stoning was OK and done all the time, me and my buddies, possibly hopped up on some good old mead would have happily and somewhat bloodthirstily started throwing stones.

If it were me transported back to that scene courtesy of Scotty and company then as one who does not believe in capital punishment the challenge is irrelevant. I would have immediately said "beam me back Scotty". Just before leaving I would have admonished Jesus to keep church and state separate.
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm

I would probably stop to ask jesus some questions like

who he was
what all is considered sin
who gets to throw the second stone
would he have said the same thing if it was a child molester they were chasing
What if someone threw a spear instead
Don't confuse me with facts

moisespoll
Playground Scrub

Post by moisespoll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am

After many years of slavery, the Israelites were forced to release Moses, who according to the Bible, God decided to make their own people out of Egypt and back to the Land of Israel promised to their ancestors (about 1913-1912 BC). 40 years wandering in the Sinai desert, where he created the earth and received the Torah (Pentateuch), which included the Ten Commandments and gave form and content of their monotheistic faith.

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:37 pm

What :0 God is still with us!!!!

I'd have thought he would have bailed by now what with global warming making this place as hot as Hades :wink:
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back